ARRAY(0x9c2da720)

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the timid or uninformed, November 15, 2010
This review is from: ARRIS / Motorola SURFboard Gateway SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless N Cable Modem - Retail Packaging (Personal Computers)
The SBG6580 can actually be a niece all-in-one device if you have the patience and know-how to get it configured right.

First off, there is a feature called 'IP Flood Detection' that needs to be disabled. (It is located under the Firewall page) By default, it is turned ON. When ON, this feature eventually causes everything to slow to a crawl. Turn it OFF (uncheck box) and you will never go slow again. This is certainly a failing on Motorola's part to default a poor-functioning feature ON in the first place.

I would agree that Motorola's interface is clunky in general. It is pretty powerful too and advanced users will be able to do most of what they want with it.

My carrier is Comcast and I enjoy real-word DL speeds of up to 4MBps (32mbps). Admittedly, with many of my apps, I'm actually around 3MBps, which is plenty fast for me. I have (2) hardwired PCs, (1) hardwired printer, (1) wireless laptop, (1) wireless printer, and (3) other hardwired devices on my network.

I do experience a random 'reset' of the modem on occasion. I have yet to track down what is causing it. I can't blame the hardware (yet) but it occurs with such irregularity (sometimes not for 5 days or more)

It isn't a perfect modem/gateway, but it is capable, if a touch user unfriendly.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 8, 2010 5:48:44 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Can you recommend any other settings? Just disabled IP Flood Detection. What about port scan and firewall protection, etc? AFAIK there is no way to modify DNS and the device can't be firmware upgraded? I can't find any info on this gateway so any help would be appreciated.

Posted on Dec 23, 2010 11:24:51 AM PST
Dear R.B.

I can't thank you enough for posting the info about the IP flood detection feature. Time Warner just installed this modem as part of my upgrade to wideband internet (50mbps), and it was very slow - much slower than standard roadruuner. I was able to suggest to the technician that he disable the IP flood detection - and after rebooting, it instantly became lightning fast! If I had not seen your post, neither he nor I would have known what to do. I could not find any similar advice on the Motorola website, so they're not aware of the problem - or they don't want to acknowledge it. Thank you so much!!!

Alan

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2010 11:30:21 AM PST
Jonathan says:
Alan are you using TWC supplied or your own? If TWC supplied, the IP Flood Defection will be restored after a reboot or whenever they send a new config file. I had the same issue, so I just purchased my own. With TWC you cannot make any changes other than wireless on or off and the channel.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2010 11:46:28 AM PST
Jonathan, thanks very much for the warning. I'll have to deal with that.

Alan

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2011 3:06:36 PM PST
J. de Bruijn says:
I would suggest also disabling firewall protection. Disabling IP flood detection and firewall protection made things finally work like they should: before, DNS resolution was incredibly slow on the Mac (Snow Leopard) and getting a connection with Windows 7 took ages.
I confirmed with Motorola that DNS cannot be modified. I'm not sure about firmware upgrades, but I think they are distributed by the provider (Comcast in my case).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2011 4:48:02 PM PST
Jonathan says:
I unchecked everything under firewall, because that does seem to bog down connection speeds and slow everything down. Thanks for the tips.

Posted on Feb 15, 2011 7:27:57 PM PST
jason s. says:
IF I COULD PUT YOU IN MY WILL, I WOULD!!!!!
I am a Time-Warner customer and was saddled with this modem back in mid-december of last year when I opted for TW's new "Road-Runner Extreme" service. The new level of speed (30Mb down / 5Mb up) meant OUT with my old cable company RCA modem / Apple Airport Extreme setup :-( and IN with the Motorola SBG. Honestly, the thing has been a nightmare! Dozens of chronic phantom resets & slow speeds up the WAZOO!!! I've had 7 cable tech visits - which included 2 modems & a full re-wire of my apartment from the junction box outside. I've probably called TW tier 3 tech support 2 dozen times and spent god knows how many hours on the phone. The "speed" issue was that after entering a web address, the modem would seem so stall while pulling up a page. Once it "found" the page, speeds were blazing fast - but if the modem spends 30 seconds looking for a page without downloading even 1 bit, the 30Mb download speed goes right out the window.

Horrified at the thought of having to be late for work AGAIN or give up another whole Saturday waiting for a cable tech, I started Googling the modem and ran across your review and notes about disabling the IP flood detection protection!!! I did - and now this thing works the way it's supposed to! I realize this is a very new piece of gear for Time-Warner, but I CANNOT believe that 7 field techs, and 3 times as many of their call center techs had NO CLUE!

Your review is spot on about everything - I'd call it a relatively good piece of gear with a powerful, yet clunky interface; and VERY little knowledgeable tech support from most cable providers to back up an end user.

Thanks again for the tip!!!!!

Posted on Mar 7, 2011 12:12:20 AM PST
Hi R.B. I wanted to thank you for posting the suggestion of disabling the IP Flood Detection. I've had this modem/router for 5 days now through Time Warner. I pay for the 30mbps/5mbps service, and I do receive those numbers when testing it at speedtest.net. Sometimes higher, but never lower. Unlike others in some of the posts, I have had no problems doing things like changing the SSID or password, or making other adjustments. And the wireless signal has been just as strong for me as the router I had purchased recently before I realized this modem came with one. (It was the Netgear WNDR3400)

The only problem I had was when I would test the packets sent. With every single test, I would score around 50 percent of the packets making it through successfully, which of course can affect everything from online gaming to VOIP. I was getting ready to call tech support tomorrow morning until I read your post to disable the IP Flood Detection. Once I did that, 100 percent of the packets sent were successful, even after numerous tests to many different sites. Now I feel like I am finally getting what I paid for. I have yet to have any moments that require a modem reboot, though again, it has only been five days, but if everything remains they are right now, I will be very happy with this choice I made. Once I made the change you suggested, everything from VOIP, to Netlfix streaming and wireless speed and distance has worked perfectly.

Thank you for saving me a call to tech support, and probably a lot more frustration.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 31, 2011 9:41:34 PM PDT
Same here. IP Flood Detection REMOVAL FTW!!!!!!!!!!! THANK YOU!

Posted on Apr 19, 2011 5:04:38 PM PDT
Good Job, I myself discovered that setting and as soon as I saw it shook my head because I instantly knew lol. Question though, While I do have a very good grasp on this tech and have tried many things myself, I saw that you mentioned that it would randomly reset. Mine is now doing this and its becoming more and more frequently. Its quite annoying. Have you had any success in discovering the cause of this? Thanks in advance. - Jeff
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›