5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! It's much better than I expected., March 2, 2007
I've been an Amazon customer for years, but this is the first time a product stood out enough for me to write a review. I bought this for my 8 yr. old daughter and I figured my 6 yr. old son could use it later.

I was very hesitant, because there aren't a lot of reviews and it's expensive.

Well, we've had it a few days and my daughter has been playing more with "Secrets of the Master Magician: An Apprentice's Manual", which I also bought at the same time (another great gift). My daughter is interested in this and it's easy for her to put things together.

My son is obsessed with it! It's similar (for him) to the Lego creatures he puts together. He needs a little help from time to time, but he can certainly follow the very well laid out diagrams. So far they've created an FM radio, a scifi noise maker, a sound detecting space noise maker thingy, a propeller that spins and flies into the air, a seven segment display, a volt meter connected to the solar cell. After connecting the solar cell, I realized my son thought the solar cell would come on like a computer screen or TV! After explaining it and putting my hand over it; now they both know what a solar cell does.

- There are 5 books of experiments.

- Each project has a nice simple color picture of how to connect all the components.

- All components are clearly marked.

- The diagrams are a top view. Since the connections are layered on top of one another 2 and 3 deep, it takes a little figuring as to what's on top and what's on bottom. It's easy for an adult. It's part of the "puzzle" for the kids. After we put a few together, they both got it.

- The pieces seem sturdy enough and snap together easily

- There is great assortment of parts to create lots and lots of very interesting projects.

- My kids love the projects. I've been very impressed.

- It has a cable that you can connect to the microphone port of a PC sound card. I haven't played with this. There is software, it looks like you can turn your PC into an oscilloscope. Looks interesting. There's a whole book for these projects. I just saw the cover, so it's likely that there's even more to it.

My kids are learning a lot with this. While they are putting things together, I can explain how these different parts work. There are lots of opportunities to take the project and modify it by replacing parts, change a light out for the speaker, etc.

For example, my son put the 7 segment LED together. I wasn't impressed. I was hoping to put together a counter, but it just connects each segment to ground to turn all the segments on. There are 750 projects, so maybe there is a counter project. Regardless, my son was fascinated. He changed all the connections manually to count from 0 to 9. He changed the main power resistor to see it go brighter with a smaller resistor and dimmer with a bigger resistor. Lots of implicit learning going on. I pointed to the microwave display and said, "See, that's how it works!"

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 1, 2007 6:29:22 AM PDT
MLE-M says:
Thank you for this review. We were considering getting this product for our son's 6th birthday, and thus it was quite helpful to read that your 6 years old is doing well with this.

In case it helps someone else in decision-making, I'll also mention that I was concerned about necessary reading skills for this kit. In researching, I saw that a reviewer for a smaller kit said that they have a child who is not a native English speaker and nonetheless was able to work independently with the product.

So, the kit is en route...we have high hopes!

MLE-M
Asheville NC

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011 5:02:58 PM PDT
Buttercup says:
Honestly, it's all about that diagram. You look to see which part it is, hunt for the part, snap it in. The directions are kind of useless unless you want to read the objective.

Posted on Apr 19, 2011 7:15:00 AM PDT
Cheryl Rich says:
I teach in a program called the Challenge Lab at an elementary school in Kerrville, TX. I have 2 Snap Circuits Jr. sets and one 300 set. These are so challenging and engaging for my students from 1st grade thru 5th grade that I am buying the 750 set. In our program, students who are successful in their classroom come to the lab for more challenging activities. This activity is by far one of the most popular. It offers multi-level projects and activities to continue the learning and understanding of the electronics. I highly recommend this product.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2014 8:37:37 AM PDT
Buyer B says:
Great review. Thanks for taking the time to write and post it.

Posted on Mar 9, 2014 8:38:21 AM PDT
Buyer B says:
Great review. Thanks for taking the time to write and post it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›