Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

1,021 of 1,057 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Forget The Big Red Fruit, April 25, 2012
This review is from: ASUS Transformer TF300 T-B1-BL 10.1-Inch 32 GB Tablet (Blue) (Personal Computers)
This is an awesome tablet. Extremely powerful and versatile. Some purists will say the display isn't up to par, but that's ridiculous. This is a stunning display even if it falls short of the highest pixel count available. The performance is better than the iPad 3, it's a beautiful device and it offers the unique ability to pop into a keyboard base and "transform" into a laptop. Combine that with it' s low price and Apple is outdone and forgotten. Buy it now.

Update
I originally bought this for my wife, after spending some time using the tablet, I've decided to purchase another one for myself. Ease of use, convenience, portability and awesome power make it a better option for me than my laptop.

The unit is made of plastic, but it's very sturdy and I feel it will last quite a while, I did order a leather case for it though. As I previously stated, the screen is great regardless of what anyone else says. I have poor eyesight, but I can clearly read the screen even with full sun shining on it. I tested the GPS with the unit tethered to my iPhone and it works flawlessly. Wifi reception is so good, it found more servers around my house than any other device I own and has had full strength connected to mine since I fired it up, regardless of where I use it in the house.

I was able to easily conect to my main computer via DLNA and stream the music and videos I have stored there. There are litterally too many features on this tablet to list individually and I know I haven't even found all of them yet. So far, there's nothing I've tried to do with it that's slowed it down.

I did notice two glitches; the browser shut down a couple of times for no reason and had a hard time coming back up. I think this is a problem with ICS and will probably be fixed with the next update. Also, the on screen ASUS keyboard is very glitchy. I was constantly hitting backspace while writing lengthy messages because it would misspell (even though I hit the right key) and would put spaces in the middle of some words. I haven't tried the Google keyboard yet because I decided to just use the dock from now on for long messages.

One more note. I've used an iPad before and have owned an iPhone since it was released. The Apple OS is more polished than Android, but Android has come very far since it's humble beginnings and I believe it will surpass IOS very soon. But, it's good enough now for us to thoroughly enjoy these tablets and has given me a reason to ditch our iPhones and go with Samsung Galaxy S's as well.

Update
Having spent an extended amount of time with the tablet, I've got a few observations.
First, there is some light bleed on the screen edges, but under normal circumstances it's not noticable.
Second, on top of shutting down occassionally the browser is very slow to extremely slow. I believe this is more an Android issue than a tablet issue and I hope it will be corrected with an update.
Third, the tablet has 3 performance settings. Initially, I left it on the default balanced setting. I've discovered that MANY times video will not play unless I switch to the high performance setting. I've decided to just leave it on the higher setting and sufffer the battery drain.
Fourth, for some reason, you cannot use a usb extension cable. It won't work for power or data with any cable extention. This is dissapointing as I'd like to sit on the couch and charge at the same time, but the stock cable is too short.

I still believe it's a great tablet and will only get better with software updates, but right now it suffers from glitchy, slow apps and OS. I've dropped my review by 1 star due to the software issues.

UPDATE***
I've spent many months with the tablet and thought I'd share my thoughts now.

The new JB upgrade and subsequent upgrades to that have really helped. The keyboard works great now. For the browser, I switched to Chrome and have had no issues, just have to go to the stock browser for flash related content. Battery life is around 7 hours for almost constant use. And, about another 5 hours if I add the dock, very good in my opinion. A user commented about the extension USB issue and rightly informed me that it has to be USB 3.0, I was using a 2.0 cable.

I use the tablet every day and it has become a necessary part of life. I use Kingfsoft office for word docs and spreadsheets, scribble pad for notes to myself and during meetings, play games, do email, take videos, navigation, weather, etc. I've also installed Splashtop on my PC so I can do remote desktop, works great.

It's still the best Android tablet availible at this price point and will be a viable option for some time.

I like the tablet so much, I bought one to give away to one of my employees during my company Christmas party. The lucky winner is very happy.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 10 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 72 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 25, 2012 10:21:22 AM PDT
You need to clean your browser cache out. You will be running on Android 4.0 so go to the google play store and download google chrome which will eventually replace the stock browser anyway! Clean all caches out to fix your performance issue with video. Restart the device by shutting it down and turning it back on if you have real issues because you are probably just putting it in sleep mode when you turn it off. Shut it down by holding the power button until you see a shutdown option. As far as the cable goes go down to your local walmart and buy a longer one dude lol they are like 5 bucks!

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 4:29:13 AM PDT
Dina says:
Another option is to download a different browser, like Chrome (which is still in beta but works okay), Opera or Dolphin. All available from the Play store.

Posted on Jun 3, 2012 4:18:24 PM PDT
Lili says:
the slow browsing might be because its using its fifth single core

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 8:50:28 PM PDT
Me says:
there are better browsers that you can download in the app store for free. Also way better keyboard apps for download also.

Posted on Jun 9, 2012 10:22:23 PM PDT
DrZuckE says:

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 12:17:03 PM PDT
Here's some helpful tips to resolve your issues you've had, that work for the orignal Transformer and should also work for this newer one:

1. Shutting down occasionally is due to a bug with the nvidia drivers upon wake up and the operating system. Until a fix is a released, you can use an app called WakeLock, then apply the PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK setting. This will prevent your device from ever entering into a "deep sleep" mode when you don't use it, which will completely stop all reboot issues regarding this specific bug. If you are having reboot issues with apps, then that is an issue with the app being out of date and not updated for Android 4.0, rather than the device (this is very rare - I've never had this happen). Note though, because your device can never go into deep sleep when put it into standby mode with this fix, your battery drain while in standby will be about 10%-15% more. Considering how good the battery is anyways on this device, I don't really think that it is much of a draw back.

If you want to reduce the amount of drain your device does in standby, try another app called Auto Airplane Mode (the one by DON). This will automatically put your device into Airplane mode when you put it into standby - aka disabling all wireless and sensors. You'll save a lot of battery life doing this, as it'll prevent apps from "waking up" your TF even when you aren't using it, so they can send out a signal. Of course, if you want to listen to pandora or recieve notifactions while your tablet is on standby/off mode, you'll want to temporarily disable Auto Airplane Mode.

2. Use Opera Mobile for the browser - the default browser is rather basic in performance. Opera Mobile is not only the fastest browser (with no type lag in ALL situations), but it is also the most stable. It's downsides are the tab interface isn't great (but it is pretty good otherwise), it renders certain webpages incorrectly at times, and text fields that rely on heavy scripts (like web forums that use full text-editors instead of simple ones) tend to not be detected as a "text-input" area by the browser. For those cases, the default browser works well enough in my experience.

3. You CAN use a USB extension cable- however it MUST be a USB 3.0 one, as that is what the TF uses. USB2.0 technically works, but it won't be recognized by the transformer to the point where it charges at an extremely slow rate while in standby mode. USB3.0 cables allow much more power to be sent through them, so they actually can charge the device.

As far as light bleed goes, this is sadly an issue with IPS screens that even the iPad suffers from. It's usually very minor, but if you have big lightbleed issues you can RMA it with ASUS (note that certain regions in the world have worse RMA departments... i.e. I think the Australian and South Asia RMA departments are considerably worse compared to the US one for example). Performance settings are to be expected - you can run higher quality video with higher quality performance setting. Low quality performance isn't designed to run intensive things like video, especially HD video. If your video is properly compressed and put into a file format that works best with you video player, then Balanced should work fine. The best Video player app by the way is easily MX Video Player. It's free (with minor ads that only show while in menus or paused), and/or you can use the donate version which is ad-free, but costs money. It runs video files much better than the default player, and supports a MUCH larger variety of files. It even works with MKV blu-ray video content that has multiple-language audio and subtitles. Keep in mind though the beefier/higher quality the video is, and the more "out there" the video format is (because it means more work your tablet has to do to read it) the more juice will be needed - which is where high performance setting comes into play.

Hope some of this information is useful :) I don't work for ASUS or anything, this is what I've just managed and learned with my first generation TF101 - which uses the same OS and such as yours, but is less powerful.

Posted on Jun 18, 2012 8:45:38 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 18, 2012 8:46:54 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 10:12:24 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 22, 2012 10:12:49 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 22, 2012 10:02:46 PM PDT
Texanman says:
you CAN use an usb extension cord to charge the device. The cord itself is a usb 3.0 cable, so use a usb 3.0 extension and your good to go!!

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 8:21:01 PM PDT
Do you know if this version is 3g ready? Are you using it with a provider?