Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports STEM

4.0 out of 5 stars So far so good, July 1, 2013
This review is from: Samsung WB250F 14.2MP CMOS Smart WiFi Digital Camera with 18x Optical Zoom, 3.0" Touch Screen LCD and 1080p HD Video (White) (OLD MODEL) (Electronics)
I was planning on purchasing this camera from amazon, but ended up with a good deal on an open box at Best Buy. I've tested the camera out and have to say for what I bought it for it looks excellent.

Photo quality
This was my main consideration when buying a new camera. I have to say that the camera does not disappoint me at all. I've taken indoor low light pics, as well as outdoor pictures of my dogs running around at full speed with only the automatic settings, and the pictures have all come out better than expected. Action shots are frozen and crisp, and close up portraits are significantly better than I expected, not $1200 DLSR quality, but for a sub $200 point and shoot, WAY better than expected - I doubt the average person could tell the difference. The portraits show clear subject, no distortion, excellent color and shallow depth of field just like a DLSR and all on auto settings.

Video Quality
Video quality is good, the 1080p video looks decent - the image stabilization is good but not great. The main drawback is that there is a very noticeable noise picked up by the microphone when zooming. - again for a cheap point and click to use for occasional video the quality is good. To use as a primary video camera and create your next masterpiece, not so good.
One nice thing about video is that you can just press the red video button on the back of the camera to begin recording. You don't have to find a special setting etc... so it's very quick and easy to go into video mode. The other nice thing is that while videoing you can still take pictures with no effect on the video.

Features
The photo features are what you would expect for a camera in this range. It does also have on camera editing, for cropping, "Instagram Like" effects can be carried out in the camera etc...
One very nice feature is the touch screen. I have a Galaxy Note 2 and really like the feature of touching the spot on the screen that I want focused on in camera mode. This camera has the same feature. So if the camera is focusing on something in the foreground or background, you just touch on the subject on your screen and the camera changes focus to the right spot.

Wireless / Remote connection to phone
This is truly the best part of the camera. It has built in wireless connectivity, so you can e-mail photos, upload to facebook, picasa, upload videos to youtube, etc... directly from the camera. No more waiting until you get home and connecting to your computer to do something with the pictures.
The coolest part of this functionality is the connection to your smartphone. Download the samsung app, and you can use your smartphone as the viewfinder and take pictures without using a timer, or touching the camera. This is great for taking pictures of yourself with your kids.. seriously, I have hundreds of pictures of my kids and I am not in any of them because I'm always taking the pictures, I think this will change that.

It also can be used to download pictures from your camera right to your phone so any pics taken on the camera appear in your phone's gallery in seconds. That means you can e-mail, text message, facebook etc... from your phone just like you are used to. I LOVE this!!!

Build Quality
Build quality could be better, but what do you expect at the price point? The only thing I really wish it had that it doesn't and I'm a little disappointed in is the tripod threading is all plastic, instead of metal. I'm worried that using on a tripod will damage the threads and not be able to use a tripod again. I'm also leery of tightening the tripod too firmly because of this.

Conclusion
I was considering buying the Galaxy Camera - but at double the price, I get the similar image quality, it appears to be running android internally although I can't play angry birds on my camera - which for me was not a huge selling point anyways... So considering the price difference, this seemed to be a much better deal for the same basic photo, video, wireless features. It is a very pocketable size, the photo quality is excellent - way better than I expected, and automatically downloading pictures to my phone - and computer wirelessly are exactly what I wanted.

I am happy with the camera so far, but gave it 4 stars because of the following:
- Tripod threads plastic not metal
- Zoom noise during video recording.
- Remote viewfinder app is amazing, but I wish it gave full control over the camera - changing scene modes, burst shots, etc... The feature is great, but could use a little polish.

[Add comment]