5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, August 5, 2011
This review is from: Satechi 12 Port USB Hub with Power Adapter & 2 Control Switches (Personal Computers)
I use the Microsoft Flight Simulator with 10 Saitek USB devices. I bought this hub to be able to use all of the devices on one hub. This hub is well designed and durable. The power supply for it was a little under powered for my needs so I added a larger one from [...]. There is nothing wrong with the supplied P.S. just a little less (current wise) than I needed. I am sure that for normal use as opposed to my high current demands the supplied P.S. will be fine for almost any needs.

All works great. I liked it so much I bought a second one for other uses.

Delivery time from Satechi was very prompt.

Later update:

This did not turn out quite as well as I had hoped. I found that if a total of 2.00 or more amps were pulled by all USB devices combined on the 12 port hub that the hub will shut down. The power supply that is supplied with the hub is rated at 5V 2.4 amps. As I pointed out in my earlier review I changed over to my own 10 amp supply which worked well until I added a 11th USB device that exceeded the 2.00 amps. The specs for the hub make no mention whatsoever of a maximum current rating for the hub but of course the rating of their own power supply (2.4 amps) indicates a maximum current that should be assumed. The purchaser could not know that until their power supply was in hand. I had hoped that the unit did not have current limiting built in but it does. Satechi should revise their specs to indicate that there is a maximum current that can be pulled by the hub. There is no mention of the total current capacity of their power supply or the hub on Amazon or on the Satechi web site.

Long and the short of it is don't exceed 2.00 amps with all USB devices combined on a hub or it will shut down. There is nothing wrong with the hub, they work fine, are durable and very space efficient, it just has a current limitation the user should be aware of.

I used my second 12 port hub, made a Y adapter for the 10 amp supply to power both hubs, split the USB device load, 5 devices on one hub and 6 on the other hub to reduce the current being pulled for each hub. They work fine now after very extensive testing.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 8 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 34 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 10, 2011 1:51:30 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 10:07:35 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2011 10:48:21 AM PDT
J. Fail says:
Geez, Lighten up!!!! I was very clear in my review that I did not know what the limitations currentwise of the device were in advance so I decided to take a chance. I carefully explained how I went about it and simply stated what I encountered with it. I am well aware of limitations of electronic circuits (4 years of engineering at NYU Buffalo and 10 years of NASA experience in designing Satellite power systems). I was simply pointing out that the dealer does not describe current limitations of the device in advance so I ordered one to experiment with and I described my results and how to get around it.

Nowhere in my review did I say I needed to pull "four times" the original adapters rated current as you describe which would amount to nearly ten amps (2.4 amps X 4 = 9.6 amps), 2.4 amps being the rating of the power adapter. Quite a stretch on your part. Actually all of my devices only pulled 3.8 amps combined.

I was very complimentary of the device and it's capabilty, nothing in my review was derogatory of the device.

Please note that as of today 11 of 11 people found my review helpful.

"Knuckleheaded"?, again, lighten up!!

Posted on Oct 30, 2011 7:55:58 PM PDT
David Monroe says:
Question:
I'm making a wooden rack (real metal rails) and I'm thinking this might be something good to mount on it. Does it have screw hole mounts in the back, like old wall mount telephones?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2011 4:41:52 AM PDT
J. Fail says:
No, it is just a flat back with no mounting holes. They do supply a 4-5 inch long piece of double sided tape for mounting it. I used velcro to mount the two of them on the baseboard I use for my flight simulator panels which worked fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2011 12:39:17 AM PDT
Ptah says:
I agree with Fail's post. I would like to see PS V and A ratings online. Nothing hacks me off more than having to guess whether a PS is rated for 240 V or 120 only. BTW, you appear to be the knucklehead.

Posted on Jan 3, 2012 8:29:10 AM PST
Johnnycakes says:
So - since I am not a electronics guy - would this strip be able to charge two iphones at one or maybe an iphone and a kindle? I have heard that none of these will work with the iPad, so I am not expecting that - I am looking for something to put on the shelf in my nightstand that will allow me to charge everything without having to juggle plugs. I know 12 ports is more than I need, but so far, this is the only one that seems to have the power to do multiple devices at one time. Minimum I need is 6 ports, so if anyone has a recommendation - I will be using it for iphones, kindles, bluetooth headsets, etc.

Thanks for the review!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 7:38:04 PM PST
Nikki Van says:
I have a similar question. Will I be able to charge 8 iPods at once? I have a POS system where my waiters all use iPods and need to charge these up nightly. If I could also charge two iPhones as well, even better. Thanks for any info anyone could give.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 7:43:44 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 7:43:49 PM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2012 11:13:29 AM PST
Carol Rose says:
Will one thing the manufacture appears to have forgotten was that the unit might not be able to handle all the port provided. If you are making a 12 port device the consumer assumes that it will handle 12 devices, be they all harddrive or flash drives. Thanks J Fail for the input that you may have purchased a 12 port extention, but depending on what you put on it only one may work.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.1 out of 5 stars (803 customer reviews)

$49.99 $24.99