4.0 out of 5 stars Not another Roswell Book!!!, February 12, 2007
This review is from: The Second Ship: Book One (Paperback)
I'm a Sci-Fi fan, but I am SOOOoooo tired of the Roswell Alien story. I put the book down the second I found out it was ANOTHER Roswell story. However a friend couldn't stop raving about the book so I reluctantly gave it a read. I was pleasantly surprised. The book doesn't try to point out some overlooked detail and then try and convince the reader that maybe the whole thing was real. Instead it was a fast paced, first class piece of sci-fi work. The characters are interesting and have some depth. The technology described comes across not only as way cool but maybe even kind of possible. The main characters are teens but it's not a Harry Potter kind of book. It's an easy read but the writing is top quality. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars is because "Book 2" is a must and if I don't get it I'm going to feel cheated.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 23, 2011 1:13:26 PM PST
Joseph Ruder says:
What? You took a star away from this because it was so good you are looking forward the next book?

Sorta small if you ask me.

Posted on Feb 17, 2011 11:03:45 AM PST
Excellent book and a fresh take on the Rosewell theme. The Second book is even better in every way.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2011 8:08:26 PM PDT
Gary W Reid says:
Mr. Ruder....I think I know how you came by your last name. Let the man review the book as he wishes!

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 3:34:55 PM PDT
Art Darwin says:
A great story with compelling characters. I was surprised at the pace and believability of the science, even allowing for the 'fiction' part. Smooth writing keeps the story moving and reading time flying by.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 3:49:58 PM PST
i agree. what the heck did that last sentence mean??

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 9:23:34 AM PST
I know what he means! Authors seem to have stopped writing great books that are complete. It seems to be vogue to make sure they leave enough things hanging so the reader has to buy the second book!

I'm okay with some things being open for interpretation. Sci Fi especially doesn't always give you all the answers. I don't have to have every answer, but a book that's intentionally written to have a sequel? I'm getting tired of it. I just read the first in a series and found out it has 9 parts and it's not done. Now, I love a book that ends up exploring some secondary characters and that keep the world going...but unless the book is absolutely fabulous, or if the series is already complete, I'm starting to avoid them.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 11:11:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Sep 21, 2013 2:40:46 PM PDT
Lynnda Ell says:
I agree whole heartedly. I remember the first book that disappointed me in this way (1986): The Spellsinger. It still irks me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2013 10:37:45 AM PST
IngridH says:
yes I am getting tired or finding out a book is a series and you don't find that out until the end arrgh frustrating, I have stopped buying or even looking at books if I find out they are a series, I just want to read a book and be done with it.

Posted on Jun 9, 2013 11:38:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 9, 2013 12:34:25 PM PDT
S. Cline says:
For those who are commenting negatively on books that aren't complete in one volume and therefore are skipping some series, I both agree and disagree. There are many books, from diptychs (books divided into two volumes, such as Connie Willis' "Blackout" and "All Clear") to trilogies and even to books that run to four or even more volumes (as long as they aren't ongoing series with no end in sight, and in a few of those cases I'll make an exception) that are well worth the wait. I have two approaches when it comes to these things. If the first book is by an author whose work I usually really like, then I buy them as they come out (though if the books are in hardcover I usually wait.) My alternate approach, if I'm unfamiliar with the author or haven't read a lot of the books they've written, then I'll wait for all the books to come out before I buy (or check out if they're available from the library) the first book. I'll write down the title and author and/or enter the information in a file on my computer so that when the series is complete I can read them back to back.

To skip books solely because the story isn't complete in one volume is to miss out on some great books. Occasionally, a book will not indicate it is a part of series and I don't realize until I'm near or at the end that the story isn't going to end here. If it's a good book, I'm frustrated, but will wait for the next book or books. If the book is only okay or not so good, I get very annoyed and will not read the others.

I have not read this particular book, but it appears that all the books are out now, so I've purchased the first volume in the trilogy.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2013 3:07:52 PM PDT
Animal Lover says:
I agree with your opinion about books in a series. Generally I don't like them but there are some exceptions. I put CJ Cherryh's Foreigner series (SciFi) in that category.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (1,761 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $3.25