3.0 out of 5 stars Valuable Information But Be Careful!!!!!, April 25, 2006
This review is from: The pH Miracle: Balance Your Diet, Reclaim Your Health (Paperback)
I've learned a lot from this book, and it really changed the way I view food. Basically, according to this book, almost all the food I have been eating is bad for me, even fresh organic fruits that contain natural sugar (apples, melons, etc...), because sugar feeds the bad bacteria in our bodies.

From what I've gathered, the ideal diet would be to eat raw fresh organic green vegetables picked from the garden and consume within a few days. Fortunately, it is okay to cheat and have a treat once in awhile, such as once a month. The "treat" can be fish for dinner or something like that. I was open to the concept, but one thing that I think Dr. Young needs to mention and mention again and again, or maybe he did and I missed it, is that every one of us is different. Our body absorbs food differently.

Although it did mention to consult my doctor before changing my diet, I completely forgot that I am extremely sensitive to iodine intake. I can't even take the recommended dozage for a healthy person. I have to keep my diet extremely low on iodine, otherwise, my thyroid would become overactive.

While reading this book, I changed my diet to 70% raw vegetables, did the colon and liver cleansing, and started taking the Garden of Life Perfect Food and Daily Multi Supplement for Women, taking flax seed oil by the tablespoons, and drinking more water. Little did I know, the Perfect Food is FILLED with iodine and the daily multi supplement, too. I got real sick with symptoms of hyperthyroidism and liver dyfunctions.

I gave the supplements to my acupuncturist who was also taking a different brand of green powder. He took a look at the Perfect Food (the green powder) without reading the label and smelled it. Immediately, he said that I can't take it because it contains too much iodine for me. He took one recommended dozage, and told me that he can taste and feel that this green powder contains a large amount of iodine. I don't believe he is taking it anymore after trying it once. This explains why my hyperthyroidism returned after being in remission for over a year.

Although I do recommend this book to everyone to read, but if you are going to change your diet, you need to keep in mind that your body is different than everyone you know and don't know. I recommend paying attention to your body and getting to know your body and food. As Dr. Young suggested, consult your doctor - someone who believes in healing through what you eat. Many doctors don't appear to believe in curing illnesses through food and herbal supplements. This is why I consulted my acupuncturist [...].It is always best to get the nutrition you need from eating fresh organic food rather than taking any type of supplements.

I am really glad that I read this book, and I am doing research to tailor a diet that will work best for me. I believe we all need to find a diet that works best for us as individuals. Good luck.

This book and recommended supplements worked great for someone who I encountered and his brother. He was the one who recommended the book and the supplements to me. After getting on this diet, his brother was healed from an illness that no doctor could diagnose, and he was healed from his inability to breathe through his nose due to allergy. Unfortunately, I got the negative reaction. I hope sharing my experience will prevent others from experiencing what I have and am. Good Luck.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 10, 2007 12:09:10 PM PST
you are correct about everyone being different, one theory I came across is on blood types, and how that determines what foods work for you. As you are trying to learn more for yourself (as am I) take a look at "Eat Right 4 Your Type: The Individualized Diet Solution...." by Dr Peter D'Adamo (here's the amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Right-Your-Type-Individualized/dp/039914255X/sr=8-1/qid=1168459553/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-4323245-0924768?ie=UTF8&s=books). Its interesting as he says that your blood type determines which foods work for you and which don't. I hope this helps. Kal.

Posted on Jun 10, 2007 4:03:23 AM PDT
I agree that the book contains some useful information, but it should be interpreted very cautiously. I believe that acidic foods will increase one's sickness, but the diet as represented by this man is impossible for me to practice. I did it a few years ago and by the end of it I weighed 165 pounds. If I had continued I would have looked like a concentration camp victim. One must realize that everybody's body chemistry is different, e.g., Blood Type diets seem more reasonable. Exercise caution when applying the principles of this book to yourself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2009 8:54:59 AM PDT
I also found Eat Right 4 Your Type to be valuable. Many of my friends ask me for health advice since I read extensively (I have many illnesses most brought about by drugs taken inetero and antibotics; I always tell people we all are different and to trust your body to tell you what is best for you, we are all exposed to different chemicals, whether they are being dumped in ground and make it into your water supply (diff. depending where you live), exposure to different environmental poisons via air, water, exposure to disease, foods consumed, etc.
Also, people who move to rapidly may experience a healing crisis if you are highly toxic and do a serious internal cleanse as part of your lifestyle change. I suggest people learn about that before doing anything drastic.

Posted on Apr 13, 2010 9:23:25 AM PDT
Domingo4Tao says:
I am like you very sensitive to Iodine and its Hyperthyroidism effect! Is there some way that I can email to you? I like to find out what your diet is like! Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2010 12:37:22 PM PDT
Tilly says:
Hi "Domingo4Tao", I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism since 1987. I was on and off medication. Several years ago, although my endocrinologist does not believe it, my acupuncturist told me that my liver was causing thyroid, heart and digestive problems. I wasn't drinking enough water (i.e. liver problems) - I was consuming 1-2 cups of water a day most of my life. Two and a half years ago, I started drinking more water and consuming more raw veggies which includes juicing. I have been off medication for 7 months now (note: I got well 6 months before I got off medication). I feel so much better. Not drinking enough water/fluid was my problem. This is just my personal experience. I refused to permanently destroy part of my thyroid, and I am lucky that I haven't had the need to "yet". I hope this helps. I am sorry that I don't feel comfortable posting my e-mail address here. Good luck.

Posted on May 4, 2010 5:47:00 AM PDT
Great review Marinda

Posted on Jul 20, 2010 7:41:51 PM PDT
Thanks for your honesty and compassion in writing this review. These are the types of reviews that make the amazon customer input valuable to me.

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 10:43:56 AM PDT
KatyKatIL says:
Wow - that's a lot of work for some very basic results.
If you are having the problems you described, you would be just fine by simply avoiding WHITE foods, which are usually highly processed.
White sugar, white flour, white rice. If you could eliminate those, you'll feel great.

The high vegetable content of the diet is the only real benefit to the reader.
The sale of the recommended supplements, however, are definitely benefitting the author.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 11:02:05 AM PDT
Domingo4Tao says:
Thanks, Marinda for taking the time to respond... I just read you reply and I think that you are correct about the vegetable juicing as it would cool a heated liver! Wouldn't be great if your acupuncturist was near me! I live in New Jersey! I have a yahoo group called "The_Tao_of_Calories_FAD" maybe you would like to join... you seem to know a lot about nutrition! Thanks again!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 15, 2010 1:43:31 PM PDT
Tilly says:
but but but... I love ALL the white food you've listed... I love sugar, rice, flour-made goods... CARBS :-). I did reduce the amount of these white food over the years, and I do feel that I am healthier. Thank-you for the info. :-)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (293 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $0.01