2.0 out of 5 stars How to kill a franchise..., May 6, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
I love the Ratchet and Clank series. I jumped from PS2 to PS3, knowing some changes would occur. Some changes were better than others, but I still enjoyed the first two games for PS3. Then along came All 4 One. I am about 3/4 through the game at the moment and I can honestly say;

I HATE THIS GAME.

I'm going to finish it out of some vain hope that it will somehow redeem itself and restore my faith in a brand I've been loyal to up until this point. But let's face it- I've got 25% of the game to go- they botched this one big time.

I suppose my first hint should have been lack of camera controls (it's all wide-screen... and down-hill... Seriously, I spent half my time falling off some random edge because everything's so damn tiny) and that enjoying the game's graphics seems only truly achievable if you own an 80" flat-screen (I have an old 24" screen - sorry I'm not rich Insomniac). Then there was the lack of strafe and the way the basic firing controls had been altered... (aaaand we're swiching to bullet points here)

-Then there's the A.I. (which you HAVE to play alongside if in single player mode)- infuriatingly lacking in the "I" part of that abbreviation as well as glitchy as hell... all in ways that will very likely get you killed or force you to take actions you are not ready/wanting to yet because it "knows what to do next" and drags you along for the merry bloody ride.

-Half the weapons are useless and glitchy (don't bother with short-ranged weapons- 9 out of 10 times they are ineffective will get you killed. But longer range will randomly switch targets or suddenly become out of range of the target... also effectively getting you killed.)

-Battles seem to be mapped out less on challenge and skill and more on how much ammo they can force you to waste. In fact they're generally a giant blur of light where I can't tell where I am or what I'm doing.

-And if you get hit... well game over, because you'll get stunned, and then get hit again while you're trying to get up. I mean seriously WHAT is the bloody point of that?!?

-The characters in play keep repeating the same 5 or 6 lines over and over endlessly (I actually had to stop playing as Clank because if I heard him say "Don't worry little creature, we will not harm you," one more time I was going to punch the screen.)

-The oddball comedy is all but gone.

-Arenas: gone.

-Space battles: gone.

-Bosses... they all started to look the same after a while. Not very creative.

-The ability to upgrade weapons on multiple tiers- gone. Instead replaced by a "buy upgrades" feature of which there are 3 per weapon... and not very impressive I must say.

-The "treasure hunt" portion (bolts, schematics, etc) of the game is nonexistent- again replaced by some lame "pet collector" thing which LEADS NOWHERE. Yay, I sucked a giant hamster into my vacuum... and I get bolts for it... whup di-do...

-And Puzzles? Ha! I'm going back to the Sunday crossword... more challenging, more interesting and vastly less insipid.

Near as I can tell the designers tried to change too much and lost a lot (ok, most) of what made the games great (to me at least.) Hope the next one is better or I'm seriously going to have to find a new franchise.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]