5.0 out of 5 stars Easy setup & good value for the money, July 19, 2011
This review is from: HP LaserJet Pro M1217nfw Monochrome All-in-One Printer (Office Product)
I got this printer a couple weeks ago from HP's online store, and I'm quite pleased overall.

FYI, I'm using this with two Win7 64bit PCs and an Actiontec router which is supplied by Verizon FiOS.

PROS
- I won't mention the obvious features, as they're easy enough to spot reading the main description of the printer and looking at the pictures.
- It's very well packed! I doubt the standard "fling it up there on the porch" approach that some delivery guys take would hurt this thing.
- Comes with a (short) USB cable where most printers these days do not. Since I hoped to use it wirelessly, it was nice to have a cable included for initial setup rather than buying one separate. See the cons below for more info on the USB cable.
- Setup in Win7 64bit was a breeze! I just followed the directions. That got the wireless part setup. From there, my other Win7 64bit PC easily found it on the network. Now they can both print to it.
- It works with WPA2! I didn't have to downgrade my wifi network to use the less-secure WEP. (It does work with WEP for sure, and it seems to work with WPS, too.)
- Upon changing my wireless settings, I just plug the printer USB back into the PC and run the HP wireless config. The software gives me the option to enter info manually or have the printer auto-detect network settings from my PC. Both ways seem to work.
- The document feeder on top works fine for copies. I've used it a few times now without any jams or failed copies.
- The ID copy feature is awesome! It lets you fill up a single page with incremental scans of smaller images without printing more than one sheet ... and all from the printer, no PC software-based editing required.
- The control panel is adjustable, so you can tilt it up. It makes it so much easier to see if you have the printer set below eye level.
- While shopping, I read some reviews/reports that other wifi printers wouldn't wake up from standby mode to print. I've had no such problems with this M1217nfw - if the power button is on, it will wake up and print when told.

CONS: To me, these are negatives, but they're nowhere near bad enough to make me regret buying this printer. I can't say if they'd be deal-breakers for other folks or not.
- The included USB cable is very short, something like 2 feet. If you plan to use this via a USB cable, be prepared for the back of the printer to be within 2 feet of the USB port on your PC. That could be tricky for some folks' computer desks. (You could buy a longer cable, I suppose, but that makes the total cost higher.)
- There isn't really a "paper tray" at all. There's a fold down door at the bottom of the front. You lay it down and put the blank paper in there. It sits there, exposed to light and air and dust and dog hair. I will have to take the paper out and close the door if I don't plan to print for a while. The lack of a drawer-type tray that slides completely under the printer means it's not quite as easy to be "on demand printer" at this house.
- The normal toner cartridge (not the intro one it ships with) has something like a 1600 page yield and seems to be $50-$60. That seems on the expensive side of cost-per-page for laser printers. If you do a lot of printing be sure to consider that.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 12, 2013 3:13:55 PM PST
good points. Not sure about 2 sided printing?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2013 3:39:04 PM PST
ela says:
It doesn't automatically print on both sides (afaik, that's called duplexing in printer-ese.) If you want to print two sided you have to first print just the odd pages in reverse order, load those pages back into the paper tray (with printed side facing down and top pointing into printer,) and then print the even pages. I think the driver that comes with the printer will automatically adjust the order of printing and prompt you when/how to reload the pages if you tell it you're printing on both sides, but I haven't used it near enough to be certain.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›