2.0 out of 5 stars Looks aren't everything, September 13, 2012
This review is from: Snow White & The Huntsman (Amazon Instant Video)
I just want to start off by saying that I wanted to like this movie. I really did. However, this film is depressingly skin deep.

The good. The camerawork is absolutely stunning, the special effects as well. Your eyes tell you that there is a marvelous film before you, but that is as far as it goes. I have to say, before I start the bashing, that Charlize Theron and Chris Hemsworth try their absolute hardest making something out of the lines that they are given. Their performances were touching (Theron more so than the rest) and they at least gave some substance to it. Hemsworth carried most of the film when Theron wasn't in the picture. If it were just a story between the two of them, even with the horrible lines that they were given, it would have been at least a four star film.

Now for the bad, and when I say bad, I mean terrible. I never had much of an opinion about Kristen Stewart before this movie. I steadfastly stayed away from Twilight so I thought I had a pretty clean slate to judge going into this. Stewart, who plays Snow White, has been locked in a tower for years only to escape right before the Queen (Theron), who killed her father the King, kills her and takes her heart. Needless to say, after somehow finding this out in a slightly perverted scene, Snow White runs away. Then she runs away again after she loses her magic pony (actually, she abandons him). Then the Huntsman joins in and he runs away with her too. At some point there's a Troll for all of 30 seconds, then scarred women for another minute or so. At about the 1 hour mark we finally meet the dwarves. Throughout all of this, we maybe get 10 mumbled lines from Stewart. I can't say that this is entirely her fault. It is the writing that is terrible. But then we get to the acting. I swear, every single time Hemsworth spoke to Stewart you could see the pleading in his eyes. It's as if he were trying to say, "Please, give me some sort of emotion to go on!!" Alas, Stewart just stares back at him and breathes. Literally. This is the Snow White we get. A breathing, slightly constipated looking girl who squints off into the distance looking slightly befuddled. You can almost tell that the director is obsessed with Stewart from all of the closeups you get of her. I mean after about the 20th time I get it. She's beautiful. Now show me something MORE. I mean, Snow White, you were LOCKED AWAY in a TOWER for YEARS after witnessing the DEATH of your FATHER and the FALL of your KINGDOM. Any human being would have had some sort of melt down, but all we get is Stewart, looking beautiful. Hasn't anyone told these people that looks can only get you so far?

It was the wooden lead that sealed it for me. No matter how good the surrounding cast, you need a great lead to carry such a heavy weight of a film. Oh, and let's not forget to mention the patch work editing and dead dialogue that made it even worse. I was literally writhing in pain and hitting my forehead with my fist by the time it ended. Truly, it was pure agony to sit through for anyone who likes backstory and acting.

If you want to watch a visually stunning film, this is the movie for you. Before you go watch it though, I strongly suggest that you just mute out the scenes with Stewart, which is most of the film. After all, wasn't it only visual beauty that the director was trying to portray?

The fairest of them all truly is only skin deep.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 14, 2012 7:35:11 PM PDT
dlb says:
It's not cool to post spoilers in reviews unless at the end and clearly marked so.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 9:13:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2012 9:14:53 PM PDT
I'm just glad I rented it. It was.....like you I wanted to like it and some of the movie I did like but.....the acting on Kristen just murderer the movie. The best part the movie was the credits...love the song!

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 3:07:13 PM PDT
"Slightly constipated" - thanks for putting into words what I thought of Stewart in this one. Your forgot to mention that Theron (who is a very good actress) produced some of the worst, most over the top overacting it has been my displeasure to witness. It was actually painful to watch. Hemsworth was pretty good within the confines of the atrocious script and brick wall he had to bounce his lines off of.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 8:10:16 AM PST
whitegumby says:
Great review - Just watched this last night and was considering posting a review but I agree with yours enough to leave it there.

I'm glad you put some of the blame on the writers but there's no getting around the fact that Kristen Stewart ruins this film. Like you, I've avoided the Twilight series for obvious reasons but thought this might be a better vehicle. Stewart shows no intellectual depth, no psychological interest as an actor what so ever. Staring vacuously into space is not acting.

You liked Charlize Theron better than I did but I will say she at least tried. She leaves me cold in every role she plays but when playing a wicked queen that can't be all bad. Again, it goes to the writing which didn't give anyone much to say or worth remembering.

Oh well, I've seen worse but this could have been so much better.

Posted on Nov 22, 2012 9:16:56 PM PST
Paradox says:
LOL soo true on all of it. Especially about Kristen Stewart. She's such a bad actress. No emotions pour out whatsoever.

Posted on Nov 25, 2012 7:08:52 PM PST
haha, excellent review.

Regarding Stewart, i saw one of the Twilight series and it has become rather clear to me that there is no there, there.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 2:51:41 PM PST
sun2008 says:
I can not agree more. Except that I don't actually think Stewart is beautiful - not that beauty is really the most important thing here; I honestly would have been happy with a troll with any amount of emotion in her acting.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 4:35:32 PM PST
Jazz1152 says:
It seems like everyone was so focused on Stewart that they missed the rest of the movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 3:41:49 PM PST
Couldn't agree with you more. This person's review is all over the place. I don't think they can decide on what kind of movie they've just seen. This film is not a drama and they seem to forget that it is fantasy. Their trying to apply their own personal experience of reality to a movie that is clearly not a true story. The review couldn't be more biased against Kristen Stewart (and Twilight) as an actress that they were unable to look past her. I think the 2 stars is a little unfair here. They could of given it at least 3 considering they liked every other aspect of the film except her. I find it hard to believe one person ruined an entire film for them. If I were to guess, I would say they watched the film well knowing they didn't like the Twilight films or her and had a preconceived notion they would not like the film because of that. Disclaimer, I don't care for the Twilight films at all so I'm not being biased either. The review seems very emotional and unfair. Perhaps try not to have such a large expectation for a film next time. I think if they wanted to see a film with good acting they were a) looking in the wrong genre [hollywood blockbuster fantasy does not equal great acting] and b) try to be a little more open next time when watching a film and lower your expectations.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2012 2:35:23 PM PST
LM says:
You are right. However, maybe they could not help themselves. I wanted to like the movie, and I pretty much did, but 3 stars is about all I could give it if I review it, and I loved Hemsworth, Theron, and the rest of the cast.

Kristin is just so difficult to NOT focus on, sometimes. All I could see most of the time when I looked at her was her heaving chest and her bunny teeth. I just couldn't help myself.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.7 out of 5 stars (2,598 customer reviews)

Add to wishlist