5.0 out of 5 stars Casio PathFinder PAW2000T, January 5, 2010
This review is from: Casio Men's PAW2000T-7CR "Pathfinder" Digital Multi-Function Titanium Watch with Link Bracelet (Watch)
I've had it about a month and I'm very happy with it. The altitude/barometer sensor is accurate provided you give it a good initial reference, which I always do when climbing/hiking. I've read some complaints that the altitude is not accurate. But one should try to understand that outside air pressure can change with altitude and/or temperature. Cold air is more dense and pushes on the sensor harder than warm air. So if a cold front rolls in while I am on my climb, the altitude is going to read a bit lower than actual (as if I was further down in more dense air). Likewise, a warm front will cause the sensor to read a bit higher. Either of these situations is often obvious as you will feel & see a change in the weather around you. ALL pressure-based altitude sensors have this vulnerability. That's why pilots constantly adjust their altimeters based on local sea-level barometric pressure data along their path. The best thing you can do is set an initial reference before you climb and be advised of local forecasts. Just common sense stuff really. The compass is plenty accurate enough for routine navigation, and a good backup to the GPS in the canyons and back-country.

I've read other reviews about the alarm not being very loud on some pathfinders. This one seems quite loud - haven't slept through it yet and I use it every day. All the features are very easy to figure out - never had to crack open the manual (but I did anyways). It syncs up every night with the atomic clock, no problem (Houston, TX). Based on the specs, I thought it was going to look monstrous on my wrist but it doesn't. Looks really good to me. I did have to pull out several links to get the right fit (more on this below).

The watch is very light! for it's size. The band is a nice satin gray titanium with an effective locking mechanism on the clasp. Very comfortable, doesn't pull hairs, etc. PLEASE NOTE that even though the product specifications above state that the "case material" is titanium, it isn't. There seems to be quite a bit of misleading internet info regarding the case material. To me, the case appears to be an assembly of stainless steel (back), mystery metal (black knurled ring around the face - maybe aluminum) and plastic/resin (all the gray-ish part). I have to admit that, based on the description, I thought all the gray-ish stuff would be titanium. A little disappointment there but not much. Actually the case still looks new, it's the satin finish on the titanium band that scratches/scuffs quite easily. Some will probably cry about this. I am of a practical sort and this to me is a tool. I actually enjoy the battered, well-used look of my adventure gear. I'm very happy with my purchase and would definitely recommend this watch to others. Ordered it from Amazon one afternoon, had it the next morning with free overnight shipping. Practically instant gratification.

TITANIUM BAND ADJUSTMENT:
I'm adding this because it took a while searching goog to find out how to do this. Basically you need a pair of needle nose pliers and one of those larger paper clips. Using the paper clip held by pliers, you push the pin on the link IN about 1/8" in the direction indicated by the arrow on the inside of the band. Then grab the pin with the pliers where it's sticking out on the other side and pull it out with a steady action. Do this over a cookie sheet or something with edges. This is important!!! - There is a tiny metal tube that sits inside the hole in the smaller (male) side of the link. Do not lose this - it acts as the locking mechanism to hold that pin in place. To re-assemble - replace the tube in the hole if it fell out, align the links and push the pin back through in the direction of the arrow. Good idea to use the paper clip and pliers to counter sink the pin a bit so that it's equal on both ends. This should all make sense when you have it in front of you. This procedure may sound intimidating but it's really pretty easy. Just be thankful you heard about that tiny metal tube beforehand.

Cheers.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 8, 2010 7:37:38 AM PDT
Thank you so much for your information about the TITANIUM BAND ADJUSTMENT, especially the part about the tiny metal tube. Your a life saver!!

Posted on Apr 18, 2010 6:39:18 AM PDT
Thanks for providing that extra information about the case material. Now that you have had the watch for a few months, is there anything additional you could say about the case specifically, and watch in general?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2010 1:35:37 PM PDT
B. Gonsoulin says:
The case still looks new actually. And I still think this is the best watch I've ever had. Since my first post, the only thing on my wishlist would be an H2O alarm. My old watch had an alarm that could be set to chime at certain intervals to remind me to drink water. This is useful for water rationing when going on a long hike - 1 good sip every 15 minutes. This watch has an hourly alarm (called SIG) that chimes on the hour but I like to drink more often. I wish the SIG alarm could be programmed for different intervals. That's the only thing. Otherwise, it's been great. Still highly recommend!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2011 6:37:19 AM PDT
geo says:
I have a different Casio(cheaper). I read in the manual you can set the countdown timer to repeat, which may serve you well for drinking. Hope this helps.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 3:59:20 PM PST
S. Roach says:
Thank you so much for the detailed instructions on adjusting the band. It really helped!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2012 4:42:58 PM PST
Band adjustment. for $5 - $20 USD you can buy a "Spring Bar Removal Tool" from a number of watch parts houses. It has a tiny little two tine fork on one end for releasing the spring bars that attach the band to most watches. On the other end it has a small push pin of just the right size for removing the link pins (doesn't bend at the wrong moment like a paperclip). It is what jewelers use for the purpose. Cheap insurance.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 11:52:00 PM PDT
Kryptonite says:
I had the batt version of this watch a long time ago. Made the mistake of attempting to change the batteries myself, didn't know about the small springs that flew out. Got the watch semi functional but eventually threw it out. Glad to see a solar version. Wondering how long it can run with just occasional room lighting after fully charged. Need a watch for gym, hiking, and walking late night. I have since bought a 16613 Sub 5 years ago or so. Extremely happy with it. I do full yard work, chain sawing, automotive work etc etc with it on. Got some scratches on the gold for sure but it runs fine. Handles extreme g forces of rounds like the 475 linebaugh w no problem. Amazing for a fully mechanical device. Thanks for review and i want to add a few more watches. I miss my pathfinder, on a side note i checked the altimeter while in aspen one time and it was right on the money, i had never calibrated it prior to that. Very much want to "upgrade" to a deep sea model, maybe one day. Until then the pathfinder is extremely affordable and does a number of things the others won't do. Thanks again.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2012 9:48:18 AM PDT
B. Gonsoulin says:
2 and 1/2 years later and this watch has never failed or given me any problems. The solar charging works very well. I wear it every day and apparently room lighting is plenty to keep it fully charged. It has never run out of battery power. It has a nice feature that shuts down the display at night when in total darkness for some period of time to save power. In the morning it fires right up as soon as light hits it. I can't imagine you will ever run the battery down. I still highly recommend the watch and will upgrade if they ever come out with a newer version of this slim design.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 7:50:35 AM PST
H. Patil says:
Hi, I have this question about the color of the watch/band in the pictures here and the description. The main product pics show the watch case as grey while the band shown seems silver. One of the images uploaded by a reviewer (Bryan) the watch as well as the band look completely black. Can you please shed some light on the actual colors/finish of this watch? Thanks in advance!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 7:47:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2013 7:48:34 PM PST
B. Gonsoulin says:
It's the lighting in that picture. The band is titanium and is a silver-gray color. The case is plastic resin of some sort and is also a gray color, but not exactly like the band. There is a black ring around the face of the watch which I would guess is black anodized aluminum. You can be confident that it looks pretty much just like the other pictures. It's a good watch. I've worn it every day for nearly 3 years.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›