Automotive Holiday Deals Up to 50% Off Select Books Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on HTL

1,566 of 1,631 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars The food processor SHOW DOWN: A comparison of 14 cup stainless Cuisinart food processors, October 14, 2009
This review is from: Cuisinart FP-12 Elite Collection 12-Cup Food Processor (Kitchen)
Update: cuisinart no longer carries the Limited Edition. However, it periodically gets reintroduced by them. I've been asked to leave my review up based upon it covering the other two and noting things one might consider in comparisons. However this old model of the LE is hard to find now so I wanted to note that up front.

When I buy a new kitchen or household item with lots of competitors I do loads of comparison/contrasting and research first if it's over a hundred bucks...Knowing it was time for a new food processor, I began comparing models. However, I found it a tad difficult to do with all the different blades, codes, etc.

Therefore, once I had completed my own shopping and comparisons, I thought it might be helpful for anyone else in the same situation if I posted my own comparisons here.

I'll start by saying, after all the testing I decided to order the CUISINART LIMITED EDITION Metal (NOT THE ELITE) 14 cup food processor on Amazon. I found it to be the best value for my own needs and it was cheaper here than anywhere else I looked as of the time of my review. I chose Cuisinart because it's known to be the best but what made me decide on the limited edition may not be what you would want...this way you can compare and decide.

I chose a 14 cup because I love soups and big batches of dough.

I only looked at stainless because I only have 2 electronics on my countertops....this will be one. And it best matches the appliances.

So...that we go: (these are all by Cuisinart)

I compared The Custom 14 food processor DFP 14BCN.
I will call this "C from now on.

I compared it to the Limited Edition 14 cup MP-14N
I will call this "LE" from now on

I compared also the Elite Collection 14 cup FP 14DC
(I will call this "E" from now on)

and I compared the PowerPrep Plus 14 cup DLC-2014CHB
(I will call this "PP" from now on)

C: 5 year motor, 3 year entire unit
LE: 20 year motor warranty, 3 year entire unit
E:20 year motor warranty, 3 year LIMITED warranty
PP:10 year motor warranty, 3 year entire unit

C: Two controls: On/off and pulse. No dough mode button
LE: 4 controls: On, Off, Pulse, Dough
E: 4 controls: On, Off, Pulse, Dough
PP: 4 controls: On, Off, Pulse, Dough

MOTOR: (heavy doughs especially need the better motor if you use these)
C: regular motor, 720 watt
LE: most powerful: over ¾ horsepower commercial induction motor
E: regular 1000 watt motor

E: plastic
PP: all metal

C: stainless medium
LE: stainless medium
E: stainless reversible shredding disc (fine/medium)
PP: stainless medium

C: 4mm
LE: 4mm
E: adjustable 1-6mm
PP: 4mm

C: large blade
LE: large
E:Large and small blades for various sized bowls it comes with
PP: large

How To DVD:
PP: video included

All have extra large feeding tubes which replaced the small ones of food processors of yesteryear so you don't have to prechop veggies to get them in the feeding tubes. All come with spatulas to scrape them down. All have parts that are dishwasher safe.

C: none
LE: also comes with attachable beater blades so you don't have to keep your mixer on the countertop or drag out two appliances for some mixing chores. Bowl is made so no food gets caught in grooves or corners. Cord can be wrapped underneath machine.
E: also comes with attachable 11 cup and 4.5 cup bowls with pour spouts and measurement markings for small chores. These nest inside the 14 cup bowl. Some have complained that the narrow base and wide top, which makes the nestling bowls fit in, don't allow as smooth of mixing and also that food gets caught in a rim making this bowl harder to clean after mixing things that get trapped like shredded cheese and fine nuts. This is the only one that comes with an accessory storage case with a lock...nice to keep blades away from kids. Cord can be wrapped under unit on this one as well.

What I wanted in my food processor may be different from you so I'll note a few things. For me, the Limited Edition was what I purchased because it was far higher priced everywhere else on the internet including the Cuisinart site itself so I thought it good value and its price on Amazon, it's warranty was the best and it had the most powerful motor of all of them so, since I use it often, this was a plus. Also because of its powerful motor it is best for doughs as was the solid metal dough blade. I have a huge kitchenaid mixer that I don't keep on the counter so having the beater blade attachment was great for quick mixing when I don't wish to drag it out of the pantry. Because most of my slicing is the 4mm and I never do any fine shredding, the adjustable blades weren't needed for me (and I can buy them later if I want them...all parts are interchangeable on the 14 cup Cuisinart food processors.) BUT if you are someone who wants a variety of bowl sizes and blades, then I'd say the Elite would be the best choice. It's also nice that that one comes with an accessory storage case. However, I find having to unstack the small bowls housed inside the large one and get food out that gets trapped in the seams with the Elite model were an annoyance I wished to avoid. I found the custom to be too simple with a lesser motor and poor warranty and no mode specifically for dough. And the powerprep is fine but more basic as well with a lesser warranty and motor for almost the same price as the uber food processor...(the limited edition). Might be ok for those who rarely use the machine who know they won't wear out the motor. Also, Cuisinart is really going "old school" on this model to include a VHS tape with it...rather than the DVD included in the newer models. Still it's got an induction motor which is still better than the Custom and the Elite...(but the Elite has more wattage to it's motor inspite of the fact it's not an induction motor.) Final thought is for the price, the parts, the mega motor, the commercial grade and the warranty of the Limited Edition along with its ease of cleaning and stremlined look... it just pulled out ahead of the game for me.

I'm very happy with my old food processor was working fine but had the small chute and didn't offer near what this new one does and it looks impressive on the counter even though I'm very picky about anything out on the counter in my kitchen as my kitchen is open to the living room so I have to keep it neat. The metal is attractive, the motor is SO quiet for what it is, and the chopping power is tremendous...I did a couple batches of dough already too and it makes some FINE pizza in no time because of it!

Negatives: Some complain about the new food processors having safety mechanisms that won't allow the machine to start unless everything is aligned perfectly. For me this is not a negative because the newer machines with the commercial induction motors being loose would easily chop off your head. ' And that's a kitchen mess none of us want. They aren't your mama's old school food processors that whir at a low speed...these things do all but chop logs and they'd probably do that too. I want nothing loose when this baby starts! However, the Limited Edition starting is the same as my food processor from years and years just turn the top to the right and it locks in place and you can start it, then when you want to remove the lid, push left on the top part of the handle. I thought all food processors had always been like least mine were. The only difference with this new one is the blade doesnt continue spinning when you remove the plunger...but because you can now fit your hand inside with the large opening, I get it. SOMEONE would reach down and try to hold an onion to slice it thin on the know it. So now to have the large opening, the mega processors initiated this safety factor. No big deal for me.

p.s. If you buy shredded cheese, try shredding your own in the food processor...not only will you save lots of cash to help pay for the food processor, but shredded cheese is coated so it won't stick together. If you shred your own it actually tastes soooo much better and fresher, and it melts better. Same for meat--well, except the melting part! But I'm a cheese lover above all else...

[Add comment]
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Tracked by 16 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 58 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 20, 2009 4:39:27 PM PDT
N. Greeno says:
This is a wonderful review. It's so thoughtfully and carefully done. I learned a great deal from it and am very grateful (no pun intended) to its author!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2009 7:42:00 AM PDT
Chandler says:
"grateful"...he he...that cracked me up! I was going nuts trying to compare processors and pull them up on my screen and go back and forth to what was better on each since I couldn't find anything concise to really compare apples to I figure everything I compiled had to be helpful to others trying to make sure they got the right one for their needs too! :-) So glad it was helpful!! And thanks for the sweet note

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2009 3:14:04 PM PST
Me says:
Great review! After looking at many processors I narrowed to Cuisanart and Kitchenaid and finally settled on the Cuisanart Elite Collection FP-14DC. The info on Cuisanart's site indicates Elite Collection FP-14DC has a die cast aluminum housing and a retractable cord...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 23, 2009 6:56:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 23, 2009 6:58:21 AM PST
Chandler says:
They changed it to just aluminum and not stainless now for the Elite? I hope that's a missprint...Aluminum is lighter which is good but far cheaper and easier to dent and scratch. The Limited Edition is a heavier solid metal but it's best to decide what you prefer, the Limited Edition is heavier and that's not always good for everyone...that's why I always prefer to list everything rather than simply saying which one I like best (which was the Limited Edition) because my own needs of what I am looking for aren't necessarily what others want. I am a big bread maker and the Elite had problems kneading bread but that's not going to make a bit of difference if you never make bread. So I certainly can't say the Limited Edition is the "best" because for some it wouldn't be! :-)

I don't recall a retractable cord on the Elite. If it does have one this may be something they just added. I agree that's a nice feature. They used to have the cord wrap around the inside of the bottom which still made it hidden from view so even if it's not retractable, you'll be able to hide your cord. And I totally agree that's a must! At least for me. I"m glad Cuisinart is doing this on their high end processors.

Enjoy your Elite! There are some great cookbooks for food processors out there or making bread in your food processor...I use it constantly! :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2009 7:09:47 AM PST
JJT says:
Thank you for taking the time to summarize your research is very useful information for the rest of us to take into consideration!

Posted on Jan 5, 2010 6:26:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 5, 2010 6:28:23 PM PST
lazant says:
Excellent review, though one point about the LE motor: it is not the most powerful, being only around 600 watts. However, the fact that it has an induction motor is a huge plus in terms of its ruggedness. Since the motor doesn't have brushes, you would expect it to last longer than the rest. Anyways, great review! I'll likely order the LE as well.

Posted on Jan 8, 2010 10:12:15 AM PST
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your research with the rest of us, overwhelmed by all the options and conflicting reviews. This really helps!

Posted on Jan 20, 2010 12:12:05 PM PST
Wow! What a fantastic review! This had more information than any other one I read. I was leaning towards the Elite, but I think I'll go with the LE after reviewing all the information. I really appreciate the time the reviewer spent to put this information up and in such a clear, concise manner. THANKS!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2010 12:29:09 PM PST
Thanks Vanessa. :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2010 12:29:50 PM PST
Chandler says:
and everyone else too! I just now saw some of the messages. :-)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›