Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now Sale

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Pixelated Pleasure!, May 11, 2010
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: 3D Dot Game Heroes - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
This is a quick summary of my experiences and thoughts on 3DDGH. I will update for the next few days as I progress further. This is basically to answer a few questions people might have regarding gameplay and other aspects.

This game is a tip of the hat to all those great old school RPGs like Zelda and Dragon Quest. While some may say it's a complete rip-off of our beloved Zelda, it's more of a tribute.

The graphics are very good, obviously not God of War III quality, however they are extremely charming, I might even say "cute". All of the environments and character models are built out of little cubes, think LEGOs, but 1x1 size blocks. I was surprised how much detail can be created using simple blocks. There obviously aren't any fine details, however if you've ever played Nintendo or Sega Master System games you will appreciate the graphics. Throughout the world are bodies of water and what appears to be lava, but it's swirling and not made out of cubes. It's a blend between 8-bit graphics and sort of hokey special effects, I love it!

There are a large number of enemies in the game. I've come across 8 or so already and I've been playing a couple hours. Like games of old, once you leave a screen and come back, the monsters respawn. They appear in small poofs as they get spawned, which is a nice little touch. There are enemies that rush you, throw spears, and other stuff. Some are cute little bunnies but they obviously have a grudge because they will rush! You have classic creatures such as skeletons, scorpions, slimes (a nod to Dragon Quest, there's a blue slime in the first village), bats, ghouls, and most other creatures you can think of.

The dialog is extremely humorous! BTW all of the text in the game is blocky just like the days of NES and Sega. Just looking at the menu is enough to bring fond memories flooding back to me. The developers have quite the sense of humor. For instance, you can choose your basic "yes" and "no" responses to questions. Upon talking to the king who asks you to help the kingdom, if you say "no" he says "But that answer doesn't advance the story!". Small funny moments like that really make the game special.

I've played through the first temple. It's very Zelda-like. There are switches, chests, clay jars to break. Cutting grass with your sword rewards you with random coins. Basically if you enjoy Zelda, you will have a blast with this game.

The audio is enjoyable. Yes it's repetitive like old school games, but that's part of the charm. Some of the music sounds like "modern" 8-bit, I don't know how to phrase it. Other music is definitely modern sounding.

One minor issue, and I guess it's personal preference. I don't like the swords. If you've seen videos where the sword is unrealistically large and takes up a good portion of the screen, well it really is like that. It's a small problem, but the swords are just lame. I don't know how else to state it. Maybe it's a reference to some game I never played, but I think it's sort of cheap the way swords can be upgraded to be so large that most enemies don't even have a chance to attack you.

Funny dialogue, great graphics, and tributes to old school games all combine to give PS3 owners a game worth buying. For $40 you really can't go wrong. You will get more gameplay out of this than most other big name titles. Yes it's a Zelda clone (tribute), it was designed that way. Any Zelda fan will adore this game. Most old school gamers from the 8-bit era will also get a kick out of this game.

One final note, most of the trophies are secret. It's a great way to prolong the game because you don't know what you have to do to unlock them. I've gotten a fair number in the first couple of hours. Too many games throw it all out on the table so you can just rack them up. This game isn't like that!

*EDIT* 5/14/10
After putting roughly 8 hours into the game, I can say that it keeps getting better. Some things of note I wish to add to my review: The character editor as stated in another review is pretty interesting. I am not the artistic type, so I quickly gave up in frustration. You create a few different poses for your character which are incorporated into the game. There are a number of characters to choose from, from a tank, underground ninja (all you see is a snorkel coming out of the ground), two santas, a manager, to other absurd (and amusing) characters. Each of them as a one or two line description to read, also amusing.

The enemies explode into individual blocks which disappear shortly afterward. It's a fun way to dispatch enemies. As stated before, I've now upgraded my sword and it takes up a large part of the screen and there are still more levels of upgrading available! One further note, each of the MANY swords available have a maximum potential value and a current value. You can obviously only upgrade each weapon to a certain extent so you have to plan in advance which aspects of your weapon you would like to increase before you reach max potential.

UPDATE: Beware! There is no autosave! I found this out by playing way past the 2nd boss and pausing the game for a few hours before returning to game. I then shut off the PS3 upon going to bed only to find myself back at the first boss. I should know better, being an avid game, just giving you all a heads up!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-8 of 8 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 11, 2010 11:56:59 PM PDT
A customer says:
Cool review and I agree about the sword, it could have looked nicer but its no big deal. Just wanted to add this:

Play with the Options section. I chose to smooth out the font (FONT B), make text appear instantly (fastest Speed on bar), sound effects at max, BGM on 2 and Screen Camera B. The graphics grid can be turned off for those who don't have this game yet but it's nicer with them on. Also there is an EDITOR in the game, and many premade characters you can use or create your own. The manual is well done. I'll agree 5 star game.

Posted on May 12, 2010 12:21:14 AM PDT
Mike Bargo says:
Could you update your review after you have completed the game? Good review so far but I noticed how you mentioned you've only played a couple hours.

Posted on May 12, 2010 2:36:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 12, 2010 2:38:42 AM PDT
N. Peterson says:
Yes, I will be updating. I just wanted to give people an early hands-on of what I've experienced so far in case they were on the fence about purchasing. I will add more details Wed and/or Thur. Also post any questions and I will try to answer.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2010 6:05:15 PM PDT
Dr. D says:
Very good review to what seems like an amazing game. I just don't like it when other people comment and say that you shouldn't be posting a review of a video game unless you've finished it. I don't agree with that. As such, excellent review so far, and you sold me on a purchase!

Posted on May 14, 2010 1:20:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 21, 2014 12:33:25 PM PDT]

Posted on May 14, 2010 4:21:41 PM PDT
N. Peterson says:
I've heard about 12 hours if you play straight through but like 20 if you do all the side stuff. Not bad for a $40 game! You can pay $60 for less gameplay!

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 10:15:40 PM PST
Great, honest review. Thank you!

Posted on Jan 21, 2012 7:54:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2012 7:54:45 PM PST
A. Hoag says:
one thing I must add to this review. the game tends to freeze more often than most ps3 games. had the game freeze 5 times in my 7 hour playthrough.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›