Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Blake Shelton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation

2.0 out of 5 stars Burdensome interface, April 4, 2011
This review is from: Final Cut Studio - Old Version (DVD-ROM)
I have been a Mac fanatic for years, and have been with FCP since v1.0. For the record, I am currently editing a series of complex one-hour docs now, one of them with FCP and another on Premiere, and am a corporate trainer on FCP. No editing package is perfect, and I can produce a perfectly good rant about Premiere's deficiencies, but on the balance I don't like working on FCP. (For the benefit of the Mac police, Windows 7 has been rock-solid, as much as I dislike working with it.)

To me, editing a complex project is like playing chess. When I am releasing the mouse button I am already thinking several moves ahead. With FCP, however, you have to hover over each edit. I can never quite get on a good creative roll because I am constantly diverted by having to manually perform some niggling little task that other editors do automatically, and the three-point editing model here practically demands you treat it like a linear editor. All the little things that you need automated aren't and all the big things you don't want are. The constant weight of little distractions makes for a long editing day.

Even if you disagree with everything I've said - which is fine, we all work differently - no serious editor can deny that FCP's browser is, well, terrible. Media management is a pain. It's inconceivable that the v1 browser is still with us. There is no icon view with comments, a miserable icon list view, icons do not automatically or conveniently arrange themselves (and when they do long file names prevent a clean arrangement), folders are poorly designed, long file names do not wrap or abbreviate, there is no indication if a clip has been used on the timeline. Yes it's true that you can perform an awkward clip search, which must be repeated for each edit (not does it address the bin you are working in but rather the entire project) but this is telling of the entire design. Functions that should be at your fingertips take a myriad of steps to accomplish. PLEASE Apple look at the browser in ANY competing project and GET A CLUE.

I would also add that this program does not play well with others. Unless you are going to import into the program direct from your source files, forget it. It won't read the most common file types. Even Apple's own .mov requires rendering. AVCHD? Not a chance. Not even mpeg4's. The last show I did had multiple file formats - we gave up and moved to Premiere on a PC. It just was not worth the endless rendering and megafile sizes.

The good news is that FCP does the job and is reasonably stable (but not perfect), but I have found Apple's support team to have a poor knowledge of the product. If you like it, more power to you. But I'd rather keep my mind on the script or the client and not be absorbed with the constant hair-splitting details one must manage to operate this software. Isn't getting your mind off the interface what Apple's supposed to be about?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 16, 2011 9:36:44 AM PST
Foxboy says:
I love the interface, that is why I use it, hmmmm. Yours is the first I have seen that does not enjoy it. Now, it's replacement -- well that one sucks.

Posted on Apr 30, 2014 12:57:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2014 12:59:17 PM PDT
Matt Eye says:
I did not have success capturing MiniDV tape footage without it making many small files. Adobe Premiere Pro and all of the CS or CC Suite is better value and can do more. Furthermore, outdated video graphics cards are an issue with Final Cut. Adobe does not have this issue. As well as for audio software, Logic Pro does not compare to Cakewalk, and Cakewalk is a lot more of a mature and leading brand like Sony ACID. Cakewalk has a steep learning curve, but it well worth it for pros. I am not yet a pro in music software, rather, an amateur. Still, I have used these programs and am surprised that Cakewalk does not make software for Mac. It is a good thing though. Music making on a Mac is silly. You cannot even capture audio without Rogue Amoeba-type software anyhow.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2014 5:01:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2014 5:14:46 AM PDT
J. S. Dodds says:
I'm glad it works for you. That's why we have different products and discussion forums. Like I said, we all work differently, and we all have different needs.

I really wanted to give the FCP X a chance - I like the fact that Apple is trying to do something new with the interface. We had a big project and needed to buy several editing stations, but could get no one at Apple, even in their business division, to spend time showing us the product. So we gave up and got... Premiere.... In terms of FCP X, I think Apple is their own worst enemy.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›