Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

5.0 out of 5 stars What in the world is with all the complaining?? This is a fantastic little GPS., September 7, 2009
This review is from: Garmin nuvi 1300 4.3-Inch Widescreen Portable GPS Navigator (Discontinued by Manufacturer) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
Ugh. I cannot believe people are making such a hoopla about the omission of a $3 USB cable. I realize that whole $3 argument works both ways, but why in the world people are making such a big deal out of it, is beyond me. I mean you barely USE the dang thing, not to mention the fact that you probably have one around the house already! I sometimes think people just LOOK for a reason to complain.

Anyway, on to the review:

First of all, I have the 1300T, which is identical except it includes lifetime traffic. That being said, I have had this going on a month now and find it to be one of the best, if not THE best GPS Vehicle Nav I have come across. I have several handhelds of various names, but in sticking with the scope of this review, I will only mention my previous experience with the vehicle GPS units.

I've had just about every brand name of GPS unit in search of the "perfect" one. Up until now, the closest I came was with a Nuvi 350 when it was first released in 05, which I foolishly sold as I wasn't using it as much as I had originally thought. Back then, GPS Nav was a nicety and not nearly as "big" as it is today. Since then, I've had units from Magellan, Cobra, Finedrive (Ugh!), Whistler, TomTom, Mio(My favorite TeleAtlas based brand) and Navigon. All had their plusses and minuses but, never really hit that sweet spot. With the exception of one small detail, the 1300 FINALLY gets it.

I can't tell you how happy I am to be back to a Navtech based device. While TeleAtlas certainlny has come a long way, it's still not as accurate as Navtech. I still have two of my TeleAtlas based units(Mio and TomTom) and have done a series of comparisons between the 1300 and the others, with the 1300 being the most accurate. The Navigon actually has free map updates and is running the very latest maps, but still falls short in comparison.

The routing alogarythim is also much better in this unit than with rest. With the exception of the Nuvi 350, of course, which routes very similar to the 1300. That's not to say, there are no routing flaws. All GPSes have flaws, and this is no different. However, the strange routes are far less than with my previous units.

And last, but not least: Appearance. Good lord this thing is gorgeous! The map display is top notch and looks great scrolling through whatever road I may be on. I know this doesn't really matter to some, but for those who like good looking graphics, this is the unit for you!

Also, I HIGHLY suggest looking for the 1300T, or ponying up for the add-on lifetime traffic kit for the base 1300. That is if you live in an urban area and are affected by traffic on your commute. This has saved me TONS of time, as people around here can't seem to drive through a simple tunnel without crashing daily! I will point out, however, the free lifetime traffic does come at a small cost. There are unobtrusive ads(hotels mostly) at the bottom of the screen when on the traffic menu. These only show when not moving and are quite small. Definitely not something to get in a fuss over, but thought I'd point it out.

The only thing I would change about this model(and the whole Garmin vehicle line) is the ability to better control your detours. On my previous TomTom, Magellan, Navigon and Cobra, I could tell it how far to reroute and in some instances, choose the route. Garmin just gives you one Detour and that's it. Sometimes even putting you back on the same road a few miles up. This isn't as much of a problem with the traffic module, as it automagically routes you around the traffic. But it would still be nice to have more tweakability.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 12, 2009 6:57:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 12, 2009 6:59:30 PM PDT
Louie D says:
Nice review, but the Navigon uses Navtech maps like Garmin. Navigon was the leader in adding new features which were copied after by Garmin and tom Tom, but Navigon left the North American market and customer service is by email only (and almost non-existent). The screens on Navigon contain much more detail and allow you the most setting adjustments of any GPS. The lifetime traffic (without advertisements) may continue but the map updates are in question with the company out of the US area. The main complaint with Navigon was their POI database was much less than others. Most people do not use the POI that frequently, opting to enter the actual address before leaving in their vehicle, so this is really not a reason not to have purchased one.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2009 7:14:54 PM PDT
Thanks for the heads-up! I meant to say that I still had my Mio and TomTom, not my Navigon. The Navigon was decent, but the POI dbase was something that I relied on and was really a let-down. You couldn't just type in and search what you wanted, you had to break it down by category and pray what you were looking for was listed. A lot weren't. Otherwise it was a decent GPS. I do miss the Reality View/Lane Assist on occasion, but Garmin is offering both on a higher model and I'll probably upgrade again within the next year or so.

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 7:32:34 AM PST
Erin S. says:
First of all, any USB cord doesn't work. It has to be Garmin. Secondly, it is not $3, it is $14.99. If I am going to "rarely" use it, I'd rather not pay for it at all. I have not been able to use my brand new GPS for weks now because it is unable to find a satellite and apparently I need this USB cord. If that is the case, it should have been added to the product at no charge. This is no hoopla, it is a legitimate complaint.

Posted on Jan 31, 2010 8:25:19 AM PST
Louie D says:
The 1300t does not have lane assist (not currently showing up in many places) or speed limit indicators. I think the 1300 with traffic is a specific model for certain sellers only, as it is not on the Garmin website (like the 255wt only at Best Buy). I'm looking for another to go with my Navigon 7200T, and I was considering the 1350T (includes lane assist & speed limit) but I read the map detail (street names) is much less than the older models, so I am also looking at the 765T. The visual display on the Navigons is much better than the others, but I didn't get it to constantly look at it instead of the road ! have you seen the Cydle T43H ? Check the GPS reviews or gpsreview.net. It looks like it has almost everything including HD traffic.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 8:47:02 AM PST
@Erin. Incorrect. First of all Any USB cord DOES work. I've used the cord from both my digital camera and one that came with my old MP3 player. And second, the cord IS $3(or less). Please check your facts before trying to call someone out. Otherwise it makes you look silly.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2010 9:00:13 AM PST
Naviman: I hadn't heard of that one before, but after looking at it, I have to say it looks pretty sweet. I just picked up a Garmin 1690 to go along with the 1300T and absolutely love it. The traffic isn't always super accurate, but that's to be expected. However, being internet connected has come in handy more times that I can count.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2010 4:39:08 PM PST
Erin S. says:
I am calling you out, again. What is silly is your insistence that any USB cord works. You are wrong. Read some other reviews. Many reviewers had the same problem. You are on ignore.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2010 4:59:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 1, 2010 5:23:25 PM PST
LOL! You come to Amazon, immediately start spewing incorrect garbage and then throw a huge hissy fit when proven wrong. How old are you?

The funny, but sad part is you actually took the time to come into my review, just to tell me I'm blocked. I'm quite flattered!

Now back to the topic at hand. For anyone that actually cares, any generic usb cable will work. I've tested with the mini-usb cable that came with a sony handicam, a Nikon D50, a Nikon D80, a Sansa Clip, etc, etc. and all work as advertised. However, I suspect most would already know this. There are also numerous instances of people pointing this out in this very product review section.

This person is obviously suffering from a bad case of buyers remorse and looking for an excuse to make herself feel better.

Posted on May 19, 2010 7:23:15 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 19, 2010 7:54:47 AM PDT
Wes says:
We can't get the free map update without the usb cable with the exact plug to fit into the NUVI 1300! Whats bad is Garmin limits us to a 60 day limit for the free map update since the units have been sitting on the shelves for a year. Yes some camera cables fit if your lucky to have one. Since it is critical for the map update Garmin should have included the cable or at least stated on the box not included but really needed! No cable, No update! It should say on the box: Free map update. Oh you want your update... well you'll be needing one of these! Go to our website and order one. Hope the delay doesn't put you past our 60 day limitation. LOL at you!

And yes I did miss the 60 day window. I finally found a "universal" octopus style cable with a plug that fit the Garmin 1300. So when I logged in for the map update they didn't allow the free update instead offered a one time update for $69.99. Grrrrrrr!!! Yes the unit does work nicely and very precise down to a few feet, but not always accurate for business locations. Several times it lead me to non-existant businesses. Like a non-existant McDonalds and a non-existant Bank of America here in Clearwater, Florida. Thanks Garmin for sending me on a wild goose chase in heavy traffic and eating up my lunch hour. Looks like the map update really IS needed.

Posted on Jul 24, 2010 7:14:26 PM PDT
Emil Cost says:
Excellent review. Thanks for all your insight into something I know very little about. My friend has the 1300, and I was so impressed, I want one too!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›