1.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't....., November 28, 2009
This review is from: Levi's Men's 501 Original Fit Jean (Apparel)
I have been wearing Levi 501 shrink-to-fit for at least 20 years. My advice re. buying online is don't. Here's why.

I hate to shop and normally just ask my wife to pick up some jeans when she's at the store. I know my size, and this has always worked. So, when internet shopping came into vogue, things were even easier. Until a couple of years ago. Starting then, my good old size started showing up too big, or too small, or wouldn't shrink right. Bottom line is that I wound up with several unusable pairs of jeans. So, I finally bit the bullet and made the trek to Macy's. Tried on 4-5 pairs of identically marked jeans and they were all over the map. Found a pair that fit. Washed them once and they turned into floods. Returned them and got another pair. Washed them and they're ok. So, I'm done with buying jeans online. And I'm probably done with Levi's.

I say "probably" because this assumes I can find anything any better. The market provides what the consumer demands, and apparently what the American consumer demands is cheap, useless junk. As other reviewers have observed, the current version of Levi's denim is shameful. Not only is it thin and non-wearing, but since it shrinks along one bias more than the other, it is important to orient the fabric in the machine correctly. Apparently, this is too much to ask. Ditto for getting either the waist or the leg to match the label.

Bottom line: My advice is, if you're going to buy Levi's, don't do it online. It just doesn't work.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 14, 2013 12:54:08 PM PDT
Good quality jeans are available out there they just no longer carry the LEVI's name. Ariat and Cinch make very good quality jeans although they are pricey.

Posted on Sep 10, 2013 4:22:20 PM PDT
David32 I. says:
I think that your review is captivating, and incredibly informative.

Posted on Oct 18, 2013 6:59:08 AM PDT
B. Wilson says:
I totally agree. I went into Kohl's to get some Levi's jeans. I wear a 32" length. So I tried on a pair of Levi's marked as a 32" length and they were considerably longer. I then I held them up to the Levis' I had worn into the store and the legs were 4" longer. They had to have been a 36" even though they were marked as 32". I took them to one of the store clerks and told him they were mis-marked. He just said that there is up to a 5% variation in the sizing and put them back on the shelf. How he figured that a 4" difference was within a 5% tolerance was a mystery to me.

Posted on May 30, 2014 6:52:59 AM PDT
I stopped buying Levis several years ago....they never fit like they used to and the fabric was so light as to be a joke. Now I buy Lee jeans; much heavier, better wearing denim and just as one simple illustration of their being a notch or two above Levis, they have more belt loops for better appearance, as Levis once had; a mark of quality.

Posted on Jun 1, 2014 11:10:40 AM PDT
Book buyer says:
The market makes what consumers demand? No. Don't be ridiculous. What Levis and other once great American companies have down is make cheap junk in China while retaining or even increasing high prices. Pretty sure "the market" is not demanding that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 1, 2014 1:21:17 PM PDT
Mr. Bill says:
Well, maybe. You imply that there is a feasible way to make a better product at the same price as Levi's. If that is the case, then someone would have done it and become fabulously rich, and we would be buying our blue jeans from that person.

It seems to me that the whole marketing strategy of producing a somewhat better quality product at a moderate price premium doesn't work any more.

Nowhere is this phenomenon more apparent than in the airline business. Passengers are unanimous that airline travel has become miserable and even degrading. So, why isn't there an airline which is cleaning up by charging a moderate price premium for a decent travel experience? Because no one will pay for it. I am afraid that the same phenomenon exists in the blue jeans business.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (2,151 customer reviews)
 (1,215)