5.0 out of 5 stars A Must See (from a huge Star Trek fan), May 18, 2013
This review is from: Star Trek Into Darkness (DVD)
From my wife Sarah: I've been a fan of Star Trek since the first series. This movie was excellent.

Here's why:

- The story was engaging, exciting, and had plenty of edge of your seat moments.

- The way it wove the new story together using prior movie and TV themes to build on was kind of genius. Those who know Star Trek will enjoy that.

- It had humor with a few good laughs and chuckles, but it also brought tears to my eyes.

- I loved the way they developed the relationships between the main characters, especially between Spock and Kirk. I very much disagree with the poster who said there wasn't enough character development. I felt it was quite the opposite.

- There were surprises. Especially one big one, which I won't reveal. I enjoyed that this movie wasn't predictable.

- The casting was spot on. It's so believable that these are the young versions of Spock, Kirk, etc.

- The acting was superb.

What else can you want!

I saw it at an IMAX 3-D theater, and I'd highly recommend that. The 3-D was phenomenal on this huge screen. There were moments when I could imagine I was in space.

I think that Star Trek fans, as well as those who are new to Star Trek, will enjoy the movie. You really don't have to know Star Trek history to enjoy this movie, but if you are familiar, you'll get a lot more out of it.

So Star Trek fans shouldn't miss this new addition. I also recommend this movie to all scifi and action fans. I'll be purchasing this movie when it becomes available, and I'm sure I'll watch it many times.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 178 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 22, 2013 9:40:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2013 9:41:06 AM PDT
Savant11 says:
Thanks for the intelligent and open minded review. I've seen some so called fans writing it off because it doesn't follow the orign story. Ignoring the fact that the film takes place in an alternate universe.

Posted on May 23, 2013 12:30:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2013 12:31:20 AM PDT
Enjolras says:
"What else can you want!"

Hmm... let's see:
- no major plot holes
- no rip offs on the Wrath of Khan
- appropriate grammar ("could" not "can" want)

In short, there's a lot more one could want.

Posted on May 23, 2013 8:07:58 PM PDT
Adam Porter says:
I'm sorry - I mostly agree with your review, except one point. Although I love the movie and have seen it twice, it is absolutely predictable. Unless someone comes into this movie with absolutely no prior Star Trek knowledge, it is absolutely obvious what the story will be from about 10 minutes in.

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2013 8:53:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 23, 2013 8:54:29 PM PDT
Hi Adam - This is Stephen. No apology needed. I appreciate your opinion. Any Star Trek fan is a friend of mine!

Personally my wife and I didn't find it predictable, and in fact, the opposite. I usually dislike predictability in a movie, but found this to have some good, unexpected twists and turns.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the film enough to see it twice already!

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2013 8:56:43 PM PDT
Thanks Savant11! You're right - it takes place in an alternate universe. Those who have seen the previous movie will understand that, though maybe some folks have forgotten. Glad you enjoyed the film.

Posted on May 28, 2013 10:20:46 AM PDT
Amit says:
Agree on the note of IMAX. Watching this in IMAX 3D is entirely different experience and its the only format that brings out the full potential of the movie!

Posted on May 28, 2013 1:45:51 PM PDT
I never saw a movie in Imax 3D because of my vision but to my utter shock 3D has improved THAT much and this is the perfect movie format for this excellent script. BTW,I love the hot blond. Great addition to the cast.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2013 1:51:21 PM PDT
I loved how the first movie established the fact that this Trek is a different continuity due to the many alternate timelines which Nimoys Spock mentioned in the first movie. Both movies are excellent.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2013 1:53:25 PM PDT
Exactly Joe!

Posted on May 29, 2013 3:30:30 PM PDT
J. temple says:
wonderful movie. i am old star trek fan from fist seris on tv and star trek movies. young verions of kirk and spock was fun to watch. can"t wait for the dvd to come out
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Next ›