3.0 out of 5 stars Typical of JJ Abrams and the TV Networks, September 20, 2012
This review is from: Revolution: The Complete First Season (Amazon Instant Video)
First of all, this is an awesome premise... except for the major issue of physics not working anymore. Here's a hint guys, if electricity (which is only the movement of electrons) no longer functions correctly then every living thing on the planet dies. But aside from that...

The characters, so far, seem a bit wooden. I allow for that, it's hard to introduce 5 major characters in just 43 minutes. I can live with it.

I have two issues with this show and there is some potential saving here. The first issue: is this going to be another mysterious MacGuffin show. That's what happened to Lost and Alias and it drove me insane. I don't mind strange artifacts or mysterious numbers, but give us some freaking closure. SPOILER ALERT: These dratted USB drives that can circumvent the laws of physics (or put it right back the way it was) is kind of silly.

The second issue is the 'romance story' that I keep hearing about with regards to this show. I don't mind a romance story, I even enjoy the occasional romantic comedy. But this is the blasted end of the world. I personally think it would be much more interesting to see how that little community survived those 15 years. But there may be flashbacks, which could be interesting. The issue I have with flashbacks, is that unless you have excellent writers and the whole series already worked out, then you run into continuity problems. And that just makes me even madder.

This concept has so much potential. What if there was an apocalypse? Not necessarily zombies or meteor impact, but something that wasn't understood by everyone. Just all of a sudden the world stopped. What would people do? That's a pretty interesting story and I hope we get some of it.

So, I give this 3 stars. I'm willing to give it a shot just because of the premise, but I'm not going to sink years into this like Alias and Lost.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 21, 2012 9:29:43 PM PDT
Peter P says:
Look up a book called Dies the Fire by S.M Stirling.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 9:46:06 PM PDT
Bwtaylor85 says:
Electricity has not come to an end in this show; electric POWER has come to an end in this show. I agree that there are numerous other ways to produce electric POWER, but the premise of the show is that for some reason, no sort of electric POWER will work or operate do to some unkown reason. This show is rather good, but I do not like the story line. The rogue government that was formed by two enlisted military men is rather unbelievable, and shows like these revolve around the use of arms -- specifically firearms -- and this particular show has halted that; no doubt because it is on NBC and they have biased views. I would give this show 4 stars, because I believe it will get much better, as it has as the episodes progress.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2013 2:24:00 AM PST
gilgalad says:
Correct. It is electric POWER that isent working "spoilers" from what i can gather from watching the show apparently there is a strange man made machine that is emitting a global EM field that causes machines that generate electricity to not operate
and these usb thingys are suppose to counteract that :/ kinda confusing

Posted on Mar 25, 2013 8:10:09 PM PDT
mao_soup says:
I'm willing to sink years into another JJ show. Alias and Lost are both awesome. I'm not sure what you mean by Lost having a MacGuffin. What MacGuffin? Do you understand what a MacGuffin is?

A MacGuffin is a plot device. It's something that a character/s are willing to go to any length to get. The Ark of the Covenant, Unobtanium (stupid name), The Briefcase, etc.

Please explain to me how LOST is dominated by a "Mysterious MacGuffin"? Give you some closure? LOST had closure. It explained almost every mystery in the show. When are you cry babies going to stop bashing LOST just because you didn't understand the ending and/or didn't put the time and effort in to get what was going on?

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 2:18:57 PM PDT
Nat739DT says:
Well said! Just about every LOST basher has the same thing in common. Lack of intellectual understanding of the plot and overall story. Everyone confused just begins to bitch. This is what happens when we have a generation, and in fact an entire culture, that has replaced reading and learning with ONLY visual media. Read books, entice your imagination, have a craving to learn, and if you do, then intelligent TV shows like "Lost" become much more, and you walk away with something the rest of the mouth-breathers don't.

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2013 2:33:02 PM PDT
HAHAHAHHA Nat, you should really learn not to criticize people and things you have no personal knowledge of.

In reply to an earlier post on May 5, 2013 9:00:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 5, 2013 9:05:09 PM PDT
Nat739DT says:
And WHOM did I criticize? To what are referring about me not having personal knowledge of? I made a generalization regarding the mass populous. My personal knowledge comes from an ever growing stream of younger people that have absolutely no idea about literary works. They have a blank stare when you cite historical reference to parallel any subject. It's astounding how many people dismiss, disregard, or have no knowledge of fundamental facts and lessons from humanity thus far. This plays into entertainment as well. I personally experience this on a daily basis. Stemming from my own sensory input, I'm pretty sure is "personal knowledge". If you disagree that an embarrassing percentage of people lack intellect and imagination due to all visual media, then it is in fact YOU that is lacking knowledge here.

Posted on May 18, 2013 3:24:13 PM PDT
matts459 says:
How can you review something you obviously have not seen yourself? "The second issue is the 'romance story' that I keep hearing about with regards to this show." So you have heard about it, but not seen it for yourself. That's what you're saying. Then you say you'd like to see how that little community has survived for 15 years, "but there may be flashbacks." So you don't know if there are flashbacks or not, there just might be? You clearly only watched the first episode, and I think everything you have said should be ignored.

Posted on May 22, 2013 6:12:21 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2013 6:14:08 AM PDT
W.T. says:
I'm one of the viewers who just can't get past the scientific ignorance of the writing. I tried to ignore the scientific impossibility of the world of revolution, but it's just too distracting for me. They could have brought in a few science advisers and still did a good show that made sense. And it's too bad they didn't do that, because I wanted to like the show. But after about four episodes, I just gave up on this dead horse...

Posted on May 27, 2013 10:42:45 PM PDT
DWD says:
I agree. I haven't seen this yet, but so many so called "scifi' shows are nothing but soap operas with scifi backgrounds. And many of them could be really good if they weren't pitched at the 6th grade level. I just don't get it. Like one reviewer said, how do they get nice clean cloths and designer hair do's?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›