4.0 out of 5 stars A great aid in weening yourself off sugar and questionable sugar alternatives, July 27, 2011
This review is from: SteviaClear Liquid Stevia Extract, 2-Ounce Bottles (Pack of 2) (Grocery)
It seems like I spent decades using those "little pink packets" in an attempt to limit/avoid sugar in drinks and recipes (I actually do not like the taste of regular sugar). Over the years, I've done some research on alternative "sweeteners" and reviewed the often confusing (and questionable) science behind the studies. Avoiding the various alternatives to the "pink packets" which I came to be concerned bout, wasn't all that hard as I really didn't like the taste of them. And once I got into the issue of ingredients, it really made me think they were not a viable option and either the same risk or worse than the "pink packets" in terms of long-term usage and health risks/concerns.

I'd used agave for awhile but after more research, decided that despite a lot of the hype around its positive attributes, I wanted something else in the "natural sweetener" category.

My comments here are not as a scientist or someone with a health condition that mandates no or low sugar in my diet. If you are a diabetic or someone else who must closely monitor your sugar intake as it could affect your blood sugar levels, etc., I suggest you undertake your own research and also speak to a nutritionist and medical personnel as needed, once you've developed your list of possible sweetener alternatives.

I've been using the liquid stevia for a couple of years now and though I don't have any blood tests or such to prove its impact from a scientific perspective, I can say that for me, it provides just the right amount of sweetening (we're talking a drop or two at the most for say a cup of coffee or tea) that I like. Taste is subjective and I think if you're someone who needs a heavy hit of "sweet" you may use more to hit the spot. In any case, use trial and error. One drop too many and we're talking sickeningly sweet in my opinion. (I make a big pot of tea or coffee and use maybe a drop per cup.) Most people I serve it too like it and only a few ask if it's not sugar.

These bottles last a long time, and the liquid can be used in recipes and are easy to travel with (You can also get stevia in packet form, but it's harder, for me, at least to control the amounts needed this way, though easier to put in a handbag or briefcase.

The price is a good value for what you get (can easily last a year), but it makes sense to try out less expensive tablets or packets before investing in something you don't know if you'll like or not.

For me, I've found that when I use in tea or coffee, I have less of a desire for any kind of sweet item (cake, cookie, pastry, etc.) which, in the past, when I used other sugar alternatives was not the case. The other products actually increased my desire and appetite for sweet food items. So that's a big plus for me.

There's a lot of information about stevia out there, so if you're interested, you can really evaluate its potential as a natural sweetener on your own.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]