5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Value In your Kitchen!, March 15, 2005
This review is from: Lodge L8DOL3 Pre-Seasoned Cast-Iron Dutch Oven with Dual Handles, 5-Quart (Kitchen)
First off I enjoy quality kitchen tools. I never minded paying for a quality tool. But when you get prenium quality at a rock bottom price, well it just doesn't get any better than that. Also any of the cast iron products from Lodge will easily last a lifetime or two, with minimal care. I previously owned a 7 quart duch oven and loved it. But my daughter finally has moved out, and it's just the wife and I at home now, so I downsized to a 5 quart dutch oven. I was happy to see Lodge offer a dutch oven with side handles instead of a wire bail, because we do most of our cooking at home in our oven, not at a campfire. The 5 quart dutch oven and 10 inch skillet would be a perfect gift for someone just starting out in life. They probably would not realize the value of what they recieved, until they are cooking a pot roast or a pot of chili for their grandchildren thirty years later. Update May 2011. I just purchased another Lodge 5qt. dutch oven to give to my daughter's boyfriend as a birthday gift. We gave him a 12" Lodge cast iron skillet a few months back, and he loves it! Our daughter tells us he uses it every single day. So we thought we would add to his cast iron collection, by giving him a 5qt. dutch oven. At the very least he can learn to make chili and pot roast. By the way, I got an exception deal on this dutch oven on Amazon.com. The lowest price I have ever seen on this item, and free shipping too. I hope he learns to love this Lodge 5 qt. dutch oven as much as he does his Lodge 12" skillet. Once you learn to use your cast iron dutch oven, your crock pot will never get used again. Our grandparents knew something that many people today don't know. Cast Iron cookware works well, and works for the long run.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 4, 2011 7:01:08 PM PST
I have 4 kids and a husband. I want to get a dutch oven for roasts and chili. Will the 5 qt be big enough or should I splurge for the 7? Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2011 7:49:03 AM PDT
If I was cooking for a family of six, I would go with the 7 quart dutch oven. You can always cook less in it, but the 5 quart may at times be a little small. The only disadvantage is the 7 quart dutch oven is heavier, and costs a little more.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 12:32:43 AM PDT
RCookie says:
From what I've read, acidic foods like wine and tomatoes are not to be used in cast iron. Have you heard this too?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2012 4:58:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2012 5:04:59 AM PDT
Ive heard this too. It's best to have one enamel coated cast iron pot or skillet for such foods. We had been cooking spaghetti sauce in our cast iron skillets for years with no problems, but one time my wife accidently left some spaghetti sauce in one of our skillets too long and it removed the seasoning in some spots, and I had to reseason it.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2012 4:59:36 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 13, 2012 5:00:33 AM PDT]

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 5:55:27 PM PDT
I make tomato-based sauces in my cast iron skillets and dutch ovens all the time. The iron boosts the vitamin C in the tomato sauces. After cooking, I wash out with hot water and a stiff nylon brush, dry on the stove burner or in the oven, then coat with crisco and it's good to go for the next time. If, by chance, your seasoning comes off, just re-season the pot. No problemo :)!

Posted on Oct 10, 2012 7:32:32 AM PDT
Stupid question - can this go in the oven? I'm only asking because the one dutch oven I have has plastic handles and lid knob. I never think of it as going in the oven. Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 9:57:58 AM PDT
It is solid cast iron, handles and all, and can go in the oven, no problem. Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 10, 2012 3:28:47 PM PDT
it can absolutely go in the oven! The whole pot is cast iron, including all handles, so make sure you use nice sturdy pot holders because all of the handles will be very hot as well as the pot. I don't find this to be an inconvenience, and the benefit of the handles being cast along with the pot and the lid is that there is nothing to come loose or fall off--it is all very sturdy and will last for the lifetime of the pot, not just the owner! Great pot, great investment :).

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 5, 2013 10:16:41 AM PDT
Jenn says:
That was a concern for me, so I contacted Lodge and this was their reply, "As you maintain the seasoning your skillet will blacken more each time you use it, use it to deep fry 6 to 10 times before cooking acidic foods, or you could re season in the oven 6 to 10 times to get a good build up."
Hope this helps!