Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event Deal of the Day

5.0 out of 5 stars 4.8 stars, March 26, 2012
This review is from: Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3 MP Full Frame CMOS Digital SLR Camera with EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens (Electronics)
Some quick observations on the 5D3. Before I go further I should explain I'll be comparing vs. the 5D2 and second, if you need to know about video, I can't be of any help there.

Received camera body from Amazon on 3/23. Lots of new features (5D2 manual is 259 pages; 5D3 manual is 403 pages). For the work I do, I was looking for two improvements over the 5D2: Ability to bracket more than 3 shots and much lower noise. The first wish was granted. As you probably know, the 5D3 does 7 exposures. Nikons do 9, but 7 is almost always enough. Those who need more will probably have a Promote remote anyway. Noise? Well, the 5D3 images are cleaner but I wouldn't say dramatically so. With the default noise settings and long exp NR set on, I'd say it's 1 to 1.5 stops better than the 5D2. Now, with a little Noiseware or other NR, you can get very clean images at 12800 with very little loss of detail so I don't consider this a problem. I guess it was unrealistic to expect the 5D3 to match the very low noise of my D700 but it would have been nice.

It's true that nearly every feature on the 5D3 is an upgrade over the 5D2. Not all of these will result in better images but it's fair to say that the entire "feel" of the 5D3, the layout, viewfinder, displays are all nicer than the 5D2. The two things that may be game changers, IMO, are the shutter and the AF. If you haven't heard and felt the shutter on the 5D3, you're in for a treat. It isn't just quieter; there is much less kick from the mirror. Add the "silent" mode and, wow. I would not be surprised to see signs in the future that say "Please set your camera to silent mode". As for AF, I never had a problem with the AF on the 5D2 so I'm less impressed here. But if you shoot moving subjects, the 5D3 has it all--predictive, wrap around, sequential, selective. The manual devotes 45 pages to setting autofocus.

A small thing that I've been waiting for, a dual axis electronic level is wonderful. For some time, digital SLRs have had an "artificial horizon" that tells you if you are tilting the camera to the left or right. That's nice but in almost all imaging software, rotating an image takes just a second. What these left/right levelers don't tell you is if you are tipping the camera up or down which can be a real pain with a super wide lens. Well, problem solved with the 5D3.

The in-camera HDR is a mixed bag. Output is jpeg only and even at that, it takes awhile for the 5D3 to register the images. (This could be my cards which are Lexar UDMA 400x & Sandisk Extreme IV). Anyhow, it's a fun feature. This brings me to yet another interesting feature. Since the 5D3 has two cards (CF + SD) you can record different file types to each card. In other words, you could have a RAW-only card and a JPEG-only card. I haven't tried this but I presume this would mean that you could shoot everything RAW except in-camera HDRs which, being jpegs, would end up on the other card. I get requests for jpegs so now I can put them on one card while keeping an all-RAW card for myself. You can also have redundant cards for backup, sequential for extra capacity, etc. As with the autofocus options, the possibilities are endless!

So, to summarize. Pros: Better AF, 100% viewfinder with electronic grid (no more screens), better LCD, faster drive and processor, fabulous shutter/mirror, 7-stop bracketing, 2-axis level, somewhat lower noise and thus somewhat cleaner images vs. 5D2, two card slots, uses same batteries as 5D2. Cons: Still no built-in flash (yes, it's very handy), in-camera HDR so-so, mode knob still feels flimsy (and it locks now, so be careful). All in all, this is a very nice, refined camera and anybody trading up from a 5D2 will be happy. And if you do get a 5D3, the person getting your 5D2 will be happy as well.

Just a footnote. One thing that comes through loud and clear from these reviews is how very different people's needs are and how differently they use a camera. I can only explain how a product meets or fails to meet my needs. I would not dream of saying you do/don't need this feature or "read and decide" as if I was some sort of oracle. You know what is or is not important to you and how much you're willing to pay for it. The web has made everybody a professional and an expert but when it's your money, the only expert is you.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 27, 2012 4:49:40 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 8:06:18 AM PDT
Good point. Not sure what's going on with Amazon. The camera has already been officially released. I am planning to upgrade to this camera (have 40D) but I am waiting to see the dpreview for it. The price difference between the MKII and MKIII is substantial.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 11:10:47 AM PDT
Mike C says:
The first ones were shipped March 22nd but most of the retailers are still showing preorder only due to demand.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 11:31:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2012 12:06:00 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 27, 2012 1:13:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 27, 2012 1:18:24 PM PDT
Coronet Blue says:
All I can say is I ordered mine the day Amazon started accepting orders. I can only surmise that Amazon is listing it this way so customers won't feel frustrated. The good news is that, unlike brand N, Canon seems to have the capacity to "fill the pipeline" pretty quickly. Incidentally, this isn't the first time this has happened; I ordered a Nikon 24-120 from Amazon when it was introduced and received it before it was "released".

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 8:59:51 PM PDT
Paul Rivera says:
My 5d mark iii has a noticeable advantage in iso performance then the d700. The d700 is about the same as the d800 in noise and the 5d mark iii kills the d800.
Try it out one more time, but nice review hope you enjoy yours

Posted on Mar 27, 2012 11:46:12 PM PDT
Henry T says:
I got mine on the 26th but I got mine from B & H. I know that the kit w/ the 24-105 was shipping first. Did you order that one, or the standalone body?

Anyway, I don't have a D700 (or D800) to compare to, but all the reviews generally say this thing is about 1 1/2 stops better in low light than the D800 which is in turn about the same as the D700 (but with significantly more pixels, which is an amazing accomplishment). My unit seems to do very useable 12800 images, and I basically can't find noise at 3200. Any samples I've seen of D800 and D700 show noise at 3200, and are almost unuseable except in emergencies at 12800.

Are you comparing the Mk III with the D700 side by side, or just from memory? Because I think you might be doing it an injustice.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 4:45:08 AM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 2:49:24 PM PDT
T. Nguyen says:

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 28, 2012 7:45:42 PM PDT
G. Chan says:
I agree. Reviews so far seen on-line, in my opinion, clearly shows that the 5DMark3 has a very noticeable lower noise at equivalent ISO than either the D800 and D700. In fact, it's noise level seems in closer comparison with the D4!.. This just might be my first Canon camera...
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›