5.0 out of 5 stars This item is a must-buy for bronies., September 7, 2012
This review is from: My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic: Season 1 (DVD)
It doesn't matter if you'd rather have Blu-ray. Good sales of this will lead to Blu-ray. It doesn't matter if you have access to Netflix streaming or iTunes or YouTube for the episodes. They don't have audio commentary. Find the money for this and support the official release!

Update (11/27/12): According to Seth's review of this DVD on Equestria Daily, the commentaries on this disc are amazing. I share his sentiment even now, and I can confirm my agreement with him after I receive the DVD.

Update (12/13/12): I received my DVD days ago, but I just wanted to confirm that this is a great 4-disc DVD set. The commentaries are especially interesting, although the only new voice credit information that we learned that wasn't already known was that Tabitha St. Germain voiced the stallion who screams in "The Best Night Ever" after Rainbow Dash knocks and catches him.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 10, 2012 3:24:23 PM PDT
Calculo says:
"I'd like to buy some apples"
"We'll sell apples only after people buy enough of our broccoli"
"But I only want apples"

later:
"We've decided not to sell apples since our low broccoli sales clearly show a lack of interest in apples."

Sadly, this is probably true for blu-ray.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 4:39:18 PM PDT
Your analogy isn't fully rock solid. Broccoli and apples have less in common with one another than a DVD and a Blu-ray disc of the same content. And this Season 1 DVD of Pony ("broccoli", which tastes fine raw or cooked) is already doing very well in pre-order sales. That will most certainly tell Hasbro that we have an interest in Blu-ray ("apples"), or at the very least, a Season 2 DVD set.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2012 8:22:55 PM PDT
Tanerion says:
Us buying the other DVDs led to this release.
So why shouldn't this lead to Blu-Ray?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 11, 2012 2:54:34 AM PDT
MexterO says:
Apples and Broccoli are two different markets, they are mutually independent. DVDs and Blu-Ray Discs are in the same market if not close to the same market. Go back to statistics class.

Posted on Sep 20, 2012 12:22:10 PM PDT
D. Ellingson says:
Where does it say the set contains audio commentary? Have you heard this somewhere else? Are there ANY extra features, or is it a bare-bones release? If you know, then please let us know.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 20, 2012 4:17:09 PM PDT
I would be more than happy to answer your questions. When Seth made the post on Equestria Daily, he failed to identify the verification that there would be commentary. So I took the initiative and asked Shout! Factory on their Twitter page about it. You can see the results of this published on the Wikipedia article for the show under "Home media": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Friendship_Is_Magic Look in the table about the 4 DVD releases, and in the "Additional Features" column, you'll find your answer. It leads to a citation/reference/link, which you can read here: https://twitter.com/ShoutFactory/status/245318602817933312 As Mama Odie would say, you need to "dig a little deeper". :)

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 8:16:54 PM PDT
A. Soriano says:
You don't even know if this is going to be a decent release--nobody has even seen the DVD encode. It could be a horrible low bitrate. I've got HD episodes already, so until there's a good blu-ray release, I'll save my money, thanks. Not to mention I won't be able to get Season 2 at all, thanks to hypersensitive jerks who get a perfectly harmless character name censored (and by "at all" I'm referring to the fact that I refuse to hand over money for the "modified" version).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 8:36:52 PM PDT
I'm confident it will be a decent release. All of their past DVDs have looked fine, even on an HD television. I mean, really. It's a very clean-cut Flash-based animation. You're not losing a ton of detail in high-quality 480p. Why don't you go over and ask Shout Factory about the bitrate they'll be using? https://twitter.com/ShoutFactory (In fact, I'll go ask them that now.) Don't get all worked up over the Derpy thing. Seems like your jimmies have been rustled. http://youtu.be/yrdRcjm63Q0?t=19s

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 8:41:27 PM PDT
A. Soriano says:
That's really not the point of product reviews. Unless you've seen it (and I know some folks do get early access to DVDs), you really ought not to post 5-star, or any, review on the site. These reviews are intended to help other potential buyers make purchase decisions.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 9:07:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2012 9:07:53 PM PDT
I essentially already have seen this product. If, for some reason, upon receiving this disc I find that it doesn't deserve 5 stars, I'll change my review. I'm not going to let a little ad for G3 stuff in the previews affect my review, though. And I do believe my review here will "help other potential buyers make purchase decisions". (Additionally, do you see any 4, 3, 2, or 1-star reviews? Nope.)
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›