4.0 out of 5 stars Great Laptop, March 19, 2014
This review is from: Dell Inspiron 15.6-Inch Laptop (i15RM-7565sLV) (Personal Computers)
I got my laptop from Costco and I think after shipping and tax, it was about $730-750. Can't remember the exact price without going to my receipt. It came from TN and so far I like the laptop. It replaced my Sony laptop, which I loved mainly.

Other people have complained about the keys not being backlit, but I don't really care because I don't have to look at the keys when I type and I've honestly never had a keyboard in my life (laptop or otherwise) that was backlit, so no biggie for me.

I notice that laptops, not just Dell, have raised keyboards. I guess that's to help with spills and stuff whereas the old keyboard it would fry it (spills that is). The Laptop seems to be performing great so far. I got the laptop at the beginning of January and now it's 3/19/14, so about 2.5 months. So far, happy with it.

It came with Windows 8, but for my work which needed encryption and some other things that Windows 8.1 Pro has, I needed to purchase that. I was coming from XP, so it was a huge jump to go from XP to Windows 8. I ordered 8.1 Pro upon receiving my laptop and had to wait several days to get it to install it. In the meantime, I was adjusting to Windows it.

Thankfully I have an iPhone that got me used to some of the touchscreen motions, which helped a whole lot when adjusting to the touchscreen.

My laptop normally just sits on my desk with a fan under it, hooked up to a 2nd monitor and all the USB ports are taken. There are 4 USB ports (you can never have too many ports. 3 are on the left side of the laptop and one to the right side. I wish the right side had 3 USB ports, too. I'd use them up, too.

Since this laptop can interface with HDMI video, I had to buy a new cable that goes from HDMI to HDMI. My Gateway monitor has HDMI, VGA and a couple other things, I think. I always have the battery in and it's always plugged up to electricity, which I learned is not good for the battery. It diminishes it's life. Dell has a feature that makes it so it's not constantly charging, but only when it needs it to save on battery life. I like this feature that I did not have on my old Sony Vaio.

It seems Dell has done a good job with cooling of the laptop and it doesn't seem to overheat like my old Sony Vaio, which cooling is a huge issue of those Vaios.

It was really easy to plug in all my stuff like my wireless mouse and keyboard to interface with the Dell, as well as the Gateway monitor, once I got the right cable (got it inexpensive at Target with my 5% Red Card), and wireless Brother 4:1 printer. All works well there.

The laptop runs quiet and it goes to energy saving mode after a little bit if not being use.

Now for the Windows 8. It was quite a switch to go from XP to 8, but I made the transition well. I heard all these complaints, but honestly, I love it. It has greater beefed up security, though, this can be a super pain, but it is added security. I found you have to have a hotmail account and link it to your log in to the laptop. I forgot the password to hotmail and what I didn't realize was I setup the laptop with the wrong email address. How I managed to mistype my email that I've had for over 13 years is beyond me, but I did.

I called Microsoft technical support quite a few times and none could figure it out until the last guy. What a stressful thing. I don't know that if you forget your password that you can get on your laptop at all and Microsoft can be helpful or not. We had premium service on our laptop, so it didn't cost us anything for the multiple calls and hours we were with them online and on the phone.

Oh, and if you like the look and feel of XP or Windows 7 (I've never used Vista, so I cannot say), there is an external app that you can download called Classic Shell that allows you the start and menus and stuff like Windows 7. LOVE, LOVE this! It's freeware and I was happy to download it.

I didn't care for the HUGE HUGE list of applications, which overwhelmed me. I would have liked to have seen Windows 8 or 8.1 Pro have like a Menu Tree instead of seeing every single fricken application.

I also love that you can have settings for multiple users with a broader range of control than in prior Windows version. I think if you lock yourself out, there should be an easier way to go through some backdoor if you have administrative rights and reset. But, I guess the purpose of them doing this way was to make your password stuff not specific to your laptop, rather to your hotmail account. But the problem I see is if you get hacked, then what happens?

I'll try to update this review later this year and see if I still love this laptop, which I hope I do.

Oh, and I also wish you can just put the CD or DVD in the slot rather than have the DVD tray pop out. I'm always afraid I'll break this, which I did on my Sony.

[Add comment]