4.0 out of 5 stars New Look, New Power, New option., July 26, 2011
This review is from: Roku 2 XS 1080p Streaming Player (Old Model) (Electronics)
With an upgraded processor and design, it carries most of the same features as the original player in a smaller size; the main changes is the Wii like remote and Angry Birds being included along with a small selection of games that you can purchase from their games store.

My main peeve is the same as the first player; the device never powers off. This messes with my auto switcher and I have to unplug the Roku when I'm not using it and want to watch something else or play games. Roku's whole goal with this is so that the unit will always be able to receive updates. Even with them saying that it consumes little power while idle, I would rather have the option to power off. I know I could get a better switching system that would correct this, but I don't feel like spending the money on that part of the system at this time.

I've heard several complaints of no Optical connections, which depending on your setup can be a big hindrance, for me this isn't a big issue as I don't use optical. All else fails, you can always get a HDMI to Optical converter box. This may be a big reason that a lot of customers stay with the original Roku or go for another system all together.

The Roku 2 no longer supports dual band Wireless N, it only works in the 2.4 Ghz range.

The XS model is the only one that comes with an Ethernet port, so if you have poor or no wireless you'll need to get this version to be able to connect. For the extra $30 dollars this player costs you, it includes the spiffy remote, Free Game, Ethernet port and USB option. So if you have any hesitation, opt for the XS.

They've moved the USB connection to the side of the device, but you'll have to wait till September for the full USB functional to be released in a new firmware update. Until then you'll have limited compatibility and functionality.

They've opted for a Micro SD card to increase device memory when you need more space for games or more channels. I know it's smaller in size, but I would have liked to see a Standard SD card slot so I don't have to buy special memory for this specific device. Just personal preference and doesn't hinder the usability.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the future their next system was an all out gaming console. With the new focus on games, it just opens up the possibility.

Overall, I'm a casual TV watcher, I might watch an hour a day or less and it fits my needs. if you don't care about the games and a little bit of added performance your original Roku will work just fine for you. Otherwise, if you care about size, new technology, and the option for basic games. It's worth the upgrade.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 22 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 26, 2011 5:18:35 PM PDT
Steven says:
The missing optical output is a big no no for me.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 6:36:13 PM PDT
Stephanos says:
The lack of optical output is a deal-breaker for me. I have a projector and must route audio into my receiver. I would need a fairly expensive HDMI switcher to get audio output from HDMI. I'll stick with my original ROKU.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2011 6:58:22 PM PDT
M. Douglas says:
I am surprised by the number of people who still require optical. My three year old A/V receiver is an HDMI switch. It also has a couple optical inputs, but far more HDMI inputs. I suspect Roku removed it to save space (and some cost.) If you really must have optical, Monoprice has an HDMI switch that will output optical from HDMI in for about $43. http://goo.gl/XqlR6 The cost doesn't seem so unreasonable for people who require optical outputs. I suspect the switch will be useful for other HDMI devices you add later.

Posted on Jul 26, 2011 7:18:29 PM PDT
Robert B. says:
Roku removed the optical because Toslink can not carry the DD+ surround signal that Netflix uses

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 9:21:54 AM PDT
Since you had previous version of Roku, How this new version compares with the previous Roku XDS?
Is it faster (navigation) or better in any way?
And besides running games, what other features does it has that Roku XDS does not?
Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2011 5:41:57 PM PDT
OILMAN says:
Are you saying that this new version of this Roku player, can playback dolby digital 5.1 from netflix???
I"m tired of the 2 channel stereo, of the previous version

Posted on Jul 28, 2011 11:18:15 PM PDT
ghost says:
Hey dude! My Apple TV 1st Gen & 2nd Gen does not have a On & off switch & they were getting really hot also, so I sort of made my own On & Off switch by purchasing a Wireless Remote Control Outlet & it fixes that. Now you have an On & Off switch. I did this with several things 1.)Apple TV's,2.)Elgato 250 plus tv tuner for mac,3.)External Hard Drive's. I purchased the remote control outlet with 3 connections on it called (3-pack Wireless Remote Control Outlet), so you can control 3 devices & I bought it here on Amazon. Here is the link: http://amzn.to/nFzN5p (Amazon for some reason did not let me post, so you will have to copy & paste the address in your browser) Hope this helps because it is a very cheap slolution only $15.00 & it even has Prime Shipping.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2011 7:06:33 PM PDT
T. Soptick says:
It sure can! I upgraded from the Roku HD and was thrilled the setup for 5.1 surround in the settings menu!

Posted on Aug 1, 2011 7:09:40 PM PDT
T. Soptick says:
I don't know what you are talking about regarding the USB functionality. I plugged a USB drive into my new Roku 2 XS, loaded with family photos, at a family party yesterday, and it showed the pictures fine.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 1, 2011 7:50:31 PM PDT
Roku has a note that says "Full USB functionality available via software update expected by September 2011."
Right now I believe the USB connection only has basic support for the following formats:
* Video: MP4 (H.264)
* Audio: AAC, MP3
* Image: JPG, PNG
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (3,511 customer reviews)
 (1,953)