3.0 out of 5 stars King of the Ring (1000 review), November 5, 2011
This review is from: WWE: The Best of King of the Ring (DVD)
If you're a true WWE fan then you would know King of the Ring didnt start in 1993 but was rather a one night tournament back on house shows back in the late 80's up until 91. They even had the gimmick on tv back in the 80's as Harley Race, Jim Duggan, Haku, and Randy Savage all held the crown. This was the 80's and WWF had the talent to spare plus they had good storylines that made sense. Anyways, King of The Ring was always one of my favorite WWF PPV's. Granted, 1995 King of the Ring was one of the worst PPV's of all time. There is too many repeats on this set that could have been avoided, but Mankind-Undertaker Hell in the Cell and Angle-McMahon Street Fight are two of the best matches you'll ever see so I understand putting that on another disc. However, King of The Ring 1994 had one of the greatest 3 minute matches you'll ever witness, Owen Hart VS 1-2-3 Kid. If you've never watched it, go out and do so. The opening contest of that PPV, Ramon vs Bigelow, was pretty damn good as well. The Diesel VS Bret Hart match on the same PPV was pretty great as well. All in all, i'm a fan of the WWF I grew up on. The 90's may have not been the cool time to watch WWF but alot of those matches and storylines beats out anything the WWE is putting out today. I wish they focused more on earlier King of The Rings rather then random matches on the PPV. I think they should have just put out the entire King of The Ring PPV set rather then this decent but could have been so much better set.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 2 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2011 5:24:52 PM PST
THE GHOST says:
I'm not even getting the set. I feel it could have been so much better plus I can imagine them milking this thing even further and putting out an anthology. I hope they do that instead.

Posted on Jan 23, 2012 2:25:14 PM PST
I also hope WWE puts out an anthology.

Posted on Feb 15, 2012 11:40:11 AM PST
Kenny says:
I'm definitely picking this up. I've been hoping for an Anthology as well, but I guess this is as close as we're going to get. If they were going to do an Anthology, they wouldn't bother with this set. King of the Ring was a favorite PPV of mine. I've always been a fan of the one-night tournament settings. Mania IV, King of the Ring, Survivor Series '98 were some of my favorite PPVs through the years (Wrestling Classic (late-1985) was ok, but looking back now, I think the biggest reason I wasn't into that was because there was nothing at stake...no, a car was not enough for me, even at age 6).

I would've also been interested in seeing the 80s KotR footage. I'm not positive they have footage of them, but I know they taped most of their house shows in the 80s, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if they have it.

I'm disappointed they didn't put the Bret vs. Diesel match from '94 on here. That would have given the whole Hitman vs. Diesel trilogy (which I thought were all great matches) on DVD.

Owen vs. Kid was ok. I didn't think as much about it then as I would now, but they weren't given any kind of time to do much of anything. I know it happened, but that's all I can tell you. If given time, that match could have been pretty memorable. I remember being such a big Owen Hart fan as a teenager (I was 15 watching that live), and was so ridiculously excited when he beat Razor in the finals and proclaimed himself "The King of Harts."

On the flip-side, where's the Patterson vs. Brisco lingerie match from 2000?! Haha! Classic in its horribleness...

Posted on May 3, 2012 8:45:10 AM PDT
Sean Pittman says:
Putting this dvd out, was WWE's way of seeing if there are still people interested in the King of the Ring, I have heard rumors of WWE bringing back the tournament, and doing a Anthology set earlier this year, depending on sales of the dvd. So I am there with you guys, a anthology set on this ppv, including matches from the earlier Kings themselves.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 6:46:11 AM PST
C. Hall says:
I'd rather have an Anthology too, I'm not going to bother with this set. I'd really like to get like 93' and 94' as I remember them being good and WWF being a pretty good product around the time period.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.3 out of 5 stars (24 customer reviews)

$6.95 $4.99