5.0 out of 5 stars A classic for grown-ups, October 18, 2004
This review is from: Lost in Translation (DVD)
This movie is slow paced. However I didn't find it boring at all. I loved the scenery and the small glimpses into everyday Japanese life, all meshed together with this love story of two people brought together by loneliness and uncertainty, with a musical soundtrack that brings out the best in all of it.

After watching this film, the first thing that sprang to my mind was that I'm so glad I don't rely on Amazon reviewers to make a decision about whether I am going to see a film or not. That's almost as dumb as asking a fifteen year old to sit through it and not go crazy or pass out. This film is too mature, dealing with grown-up questions, situations and problems that the kiddies here have yet to grasp.

Bill Murray's character is going through a midlife crisis; Scarlet Johansen's is tormented that she cannot seem to discover her purpose in life. Both are trapped in a place where they know no one, and understand nothing. They gravitate to one another and fall into a kind of love that is very unique, but also not at all uncommon under the circumstances. They don't pursue it physically, because they live in a real world with real consequences and have to respect the promises they made to people they both still love.

No kid fresh out of tenth grade will ever be able to comprehend these emotions... no wonder most of these reviews are from people who were bored stiff. "No sex? No violence? This movie SUCKS", seems to be the way it works with these Amazon reviews.

Too bad. Maybe when they all grow up they'll get it. I recommend this movie to grown ups who like minimalist dramas and romantic comedies. If you're expecting a samurai to jump out with a sword, pass this movie up. This film is about human emotions.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion

Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2007 12:26:04 PM PDT
R. Gorham says:

Posted on Aug 16, 2008 3:04:12 PM PDT
Alex P says:
When this movie came out I was a Junior in Highschool and absolutely fell in love with it. I agree with your description with what makes the movie so enjoyable, the soundtrack with Kevin Shield's amazing contributions complimenting the ambiance and scenery of the film does so much. I'd have to say the level of involvement and appreciation of the film isn't based on age so much as it is the experiences the viewer has had and whether the situations presented resonate with them. While I think your defense of the film was well intended, to assume a "kid fresh out of tenth grade will ever be able to comprehend these emotions" is a bit much.

Lost in Translation is a great movie that isn't for everyone. It is a candid and very human story of two individuals at different stages of their respective lives that are seeking direction. 5 years after it's release I still regularly watch it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2008 11:19:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 8, 2008 11:20:52 AM PDT
S. Cantwell says:
I think your observations about why some appreciated this movie more than others are spot on. I saw this movie at the theatre and was absolutely floored; I've seen it innumerable times since on dvd. It has a way on drawing you in and completely involving you in the story; it's very intimate and subtle. And, contrary to what some have said, it really is a story, in the untidy sense of real life. However, as you have said, it's not for everyone. My attraction to it says as much about me as it does the movie.

Posted on Jul 3, 2009 11:56:38 PM PDT
"No kid fresh out of tenth grade will ever be able to comprehend these emotions"
I find this insulting. I'm "fresh out of tenth grade" and I absolutely adore this movie. I adored it last year as well. In fact, ever since its release in 2003, when I was 10 years old, I loved this movie. Don't stereotype people based on age.

Posted on Aug 5, 2009 12:25:11 PM PDT
June Fernan says:

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 10:18:40 PM PDT
MorningSciFi says:
I saw this right after it came out on DVD, I was 14 at the time. I loved it.

Posted on Oct 8, 2013 7:31:50 PM PDT
Great review! You corroborated many of the emotions and sentiments I had when I watched 'Lost In Translation'. This is a deliberately paced, character driven movie. There are no car chases, explosions or sex scenes. Although I strongly disagree, I can understand why some might consider it boring. Open your mind, think outside the box and these characters, the storyline and the soundtrack will take you into deep, introspective places. Anyone who's ever felt lost & alone, disconnected & confused, or misunderstood & insecure will have no problem relating to Bob and Charlotte. I thoroughly enjoyed their gentle, almost playful interactions. They bonded & comforted each other in such a subtle, respectful manner. I'm SO glad that they DIDN'T become physical. It would've destroyed the integrity and UNIQUENESS of this film!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.2 out of 5 stars (2,038 customer reviews)

$14.98 $8.30