4.0 out of 5 stars Mostly Excellent. Some Flaws. Price is Nice., November 24, 2010
This review is from: H&R Block At Home 2010 Deluxe Federal + State + eFile [Old Version] (CD-ROM)
I've used H&R Block's tax software every year since 2004. Always some annoyances, but most of it is excellent.

Price Dips: Below 25 buckss. Sometimes below 20. It went to 22.49 on Jan 12, 2011, for example. Amazon has always had the best price. There's an "Online Price Alert" that will email you whenever this or any amazon product dips below your target price. Google it. It's nicely done.

The Download Version is often a few dollars less.

Unlimited number of tax returns: (family members, what-if copies of your return, etc.) I think TurboTax also lets you do this now, but in the past TurboTax pulled some real nasty tricks with licensing/copy protection, and they continue to charge 18-45% more than H&R Block.

It includes unlimited paper filings for one state ($ 19.95 extra per state e-file). So, I just file state returns on paper.

"Free" tax softwares like TaxAct might be the thing if your return is very simple, but their better versions are almost as expensive as H&R Block at low tide, and not as good.

So far, the 2010 version is just like 2009. (I did a side-by-side run-through.)

Typical minor annoyances: (all carry-overs from 2009)

- Upgrade pitches: They weave it into the interview and make it sound as if "an upgrade to Premium is advised for your situation" even when it makes little or no sense for your situation. Sleazy.

- Unclear wording in a few places, although most wording is very clear and accurate.

- Privacy Policy: During install, you can hit a "View Privacy Policy" button, which as of Dec 8, 2010 does not work. Or go to a 37-character url (must hand type it...no copy-paste). You can then view their "Privacy Notice" or their equally obscure "Online Privacy Practices and Principles." Both have a reassuring tone while offering rather little privacy protection from marketing partners but your information will be used "in accordance with law."

- Copy...Paste from Interview screens. That would be handy at times. No can do. Can't print them either. Only way I found is ALT + PrintScreen, then paste the graphic into Word or a paint program.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2010 1:04:57 PM PST
R. Balliet says:

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2010 3:54:25 PM PST
C. MacPhail says:
It's a heads-up that you can probably save money by waiting till January to buy it. This could be useful to some people. The price pattern I mention has held true for 6 out of 6 prior years that I've been buying it. I'll add more info once I get my hands on the 2010 edition.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2010 2:24:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 30, 2010 2:27:06 PM PST
To R Balliet. Read the first sentence. The reviewer has been using the product since 2004. I have been using it since 2000. The only changes in the software are cosmetic from year to year. QED, Mr./Ms. Macphail HAS used the product before. Therefore this is NOT a junk review, and an apology is called for.

Posted on Dec 26, 2010 2:48:55 PM PST
Block has almost always put a $10 rebate in with the CD pack. I don't see that this year. Does anyone know if they have discontinued that practice for 2010? Given the price hike, dropping the $10 rebate really does make the cost go up this year. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2010 3:40:51 PM PST
C. MacPhail says:
For 2008 and prior tax years I used to get a $10 rebate slip mailed to me from H&R Block. It was odd. It was a CD which I could activate by paying H&R Block online, but there was also a $10 rebate slip in case I decided to buy from amazon or other select retailers.

I didn't receive any such rebate slip last year (for 2009 tax year version). I just waited for a good price with no rebate.

This year I got the download version, so I can't say exactly what ships with the box.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2010 6:46:18 PM PST
Mike PA says:
I received the "pay-to-activate" package (Deluxe Federal + e-file) and it did contain the $10 rebate slip, but only from a small handful of retailers that don't discount it. Amazon may still be your best option.

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 4:51:09 AM PST
Did you not need the State tax software offered? If so, how was it? Should we anticipate any changes to the tax law that need to be updated if buying the actual disc versions?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 31, 2010 5:17:04 AM PST
Mike PA says:
As I said, I "received" this package. It's a demo sent out by Block (to past customers, I guess) to let you "test drive" the software before buying -- something that I wish TurboTax would do so we could actually compare the two.

The demo I received didn't include the state option, but remember: it's only a demo. You buy whatever version will meet your needs. If you have to file a state return, buy a version that includes the state download.

As for changes to tax laws, etc., ALL tax software (whether you download it or buy the CD) frequently prompts you to check (online) for updates (a simple process). That's how they ensure your program includes any late-breaking changes. So you're safe buying the CD version -- as long as you follow their recommendations to check for updates when prompted (something I always do).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 3, 2011 8:34:17 AM PST
I did get the "pay-to-activate" CD in the mail the day after I posted my previous comment. It did have the $10 rebate slip in it, but only for BestBuy, Target, and a couple of other places that still show the full $44.99 price for the Deluxe version plus state. If I recall, Amazon was always listed for the rebate in the past, but not this year. I checked my previous purchases from Amazon to see the price history and here is what I found:
1/11/2007 $24.95 (Premium +state)
2/16/2008 $22.99 + $3.99 (Amazon 3rd party seller) (Premium + state)
2/23/2009 $39.99 (Premium + state)
2/12/2010 $26.99 (Deluxe + state)

I don't do multiple tax filings, so I presume that the Deluxe version was a new introduction in tax year 2009 and that only the Basic and Premium versions were available before then. Others may want to be wary of this change in name as it may cause you to purchase a more costly version than what you really need. Also, you likely will not get any discounting of the price on Amazon until mid January. Without the $10 rebate for Amazon, be sure to check out the third party sellers on Amazon as they may have better prices, even with paying the nominal shipping charge. I might make a note about why I paid the full price in 2009. The price was quite a bit lower than that, but I was interrupted before I could complete the order on the Amazon site. When I pulled up my shopping cart to complete the order the next day, the price had changed and they would not sell it to me at the previous day's price when I put it in the shopping cart. People should be aware that Amazon raises and lowers the price, sometimes daily, probably depending on what their market algorithms tell it to do to maximize their sales and profits.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2011 6:34:33 AM PST