5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect For The Aspiring Makeup-Artist, February 6, 2011
This review is from: Makeup Is Art: Professional Techniques for Creating Original Looks (Hardcover)
I pre-ordered this book and got it two days earlier than was estimated, in case anyone is wondering what Amazon shipping is like, A+.

Now, I will admit that I'm only 16 but, I take my dream of being a make-up artist seriously. I have to say that I've gotten a lot of people who doubt my opinion because I'm young but, I've wanted to be a make-up artist since I was very young and I would have to say I'm as good as most of the "beauty gurus" on YouTube, if not better.

Anyways, This book is just what it says it is - Professional Techniques for Creating Original Looks - and more. In the back of the book, there are tips on being a good make-up assistant and backstage etiquette. Obviously, the book is targeted toward the aspiring make-up artist but, I feel like anyone who just enjoys looking at beautiful pictures would also enjoy this book.

I have to say, the only thing that I was disappointed in was the 1950's look that was portrayed. I was quite pleased that they didn't try to do the signature Marilyn Monroe look and instead tried a mix of Classic Barbie meets Lucille Ball but, the lips were just over-exaggerated. I do know that the pin-up look involved a bigger top lip but, not to that extent. It was the only look that was too comical for me.

In a nut shell, this book is bomb. It beats all of the other make-up books I own because it's not just for women who want to learn how to put on their own make-up better. It's definitely more for the people interested in ARTISTIC makeup. 5/5 stars.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 9, 2011 12:47:50 PM PST
Thank you for this review, i've had my eye on this for a very long time, i'm glad to see that you like it. And good luck on your dreams of becoming a makeup artist, don't let anyone deter you. i'm on my own path to become one as well :)

Posted on Feb 14, 2011 2:15:26 PM PST
merlot says:
your review convinced me to buy the book. good luck on your dreams of being a makeup artist!

Posted on May 30, 2011 2:19:00 PM PDT
Emily says:
I never noticed the comments on this but, thank you both so much for your kind words and Merlot, I hope you really liked the book. It was great! The Mariners Fan, I really hope you get to fulfill your dream as well!

Posted on Aug 3, 2011 2:50:43 PM PDT
Any other books that you would recommend, Emily (ones that are more artistic or professionally based)?

Posted on Jan 11, 2012 9:47:15 PM PST
A. L. Lusk says:
I went to school to become a makeup artist right out of high school. I wouldn't change a thing. I love what I do and I find it the best business to always learn something new. That and you meet so many different, fun, up-beet people. Age means nothing. It's your skills that will speak for you.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.5 out of 5 stars (50 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $6.00