Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars Maintains integrity of RAW files and can do Compact Flash without tethering, May 11, 2010
While I agree on the outrageousness of the opportunistic pricing by marketplace vendors here at the moment, it does NOT mean this product should get a one star rating.

That being said, the connection kit (if you can get ahold of one) works as described. I've tested it with Nikon RAW NEF files and it works beautifully. It maintains the original untouched NEF through the camera -> iPad -> iPhoto on Mac path without compromising the RAW image - this was a major concern for me.

A friend has a DSLR that takes Compact Flash and after a great deal of research was able to find a USB card reader that was compatible with the USB connection adapter so she could view/transfer the images without having to tether the camera over USB! The biggest issue was finding a CF card reader that did not draw too much power from the iPad.

My only gripe, and the reason for the deduction of a star is the performance / ease of quickly reviewing images. I find the highest utility of this device is to quickly review a photo on a much larger screen while on location. When you first put the card in, the Photo app generates thumbnails of the images on the card. These are of a fixed size and to view the image any larger you must fully import the image into the Photo library on-device then view it. There is no way to view a larger image directly from the memory card. This makes the process of reviewing a few images amongst many pretty cumbersome.

For fun, I tried hooking up a USB keyboard to the USB adaptor and can confirm it works like reports elsewhere have said. 3rd party apps don't have access to all of the function keys/control key combinations yet but built in Apple apps do. Maybe in a future OS release?

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 13, 2010 8:35:43 PM PDT
May I ask what compact flash card reader works?

Posted on May 31, 2010 5:49:06 PM PDT
May also I ask what compact flash card reader works?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 17, 2010 12:32:20 PM PDT
MiRSD says:
I'm also interested - every one I've seen people recommended is a desktop-sized CF reader (I'd like to use a smaller CF reader since it would be used on-the-go).

Posted on Jun 26, 2010 4:42:32 PM PDT
Well i was going to ask which cf card reader works also, but i see a couple of you have asked but with reply from RBB.

i have 2 cf readers and both had worked in the past (delkin and trascend), but for some reason since yesterday the ipad is telling they draw to much power and it desont allow me to import, even with full battery. Its so weird. I had done at least 30 imports, even RAW, with no problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2010 4:08:31 PM PDT
Murugeyson says:
I was about to write a review about this myself, but this review says exactly what I want to say. But i'll add a few point about CF cards.

I use, Delkin Devices DDREADER-33 CF I /II Microdrive USB 2.0 Pocket Reader for my CF cards and these are my observations.

1. Kingston Elite Pro 4 GB 133x: This works fine (RAW and JPEG) for both reading and importing.
2. Kingston Elite Pro 8 GB 133x: See the pictures but won't import (RAW). When I click import all, it just says this need too much power
3. Sandisk 16GB Extreme CF memory card: See the pictures but won't import (RAW). When I click import all, it just says this need too much power

Posted on Jul 25, 2010 11:11:09 AM PDT
RBB says:
I apologize for the delay in responding - the card reader I used was from MicroCenter, it is an Inland USB Multi-Card reader. I can't find any active product links for it to pass along but I did find someone who reviewed this reader a few years ago. To see a photo of it, google for "Inland USB 2.0 Multi-Card Reader Reviews" - it's the main link from a site called viewpoints dot com. Thank you for the added detail, Murugeyson!

Posted on Oct 1, 2010 11:10:11 AM PDT
Will this by any chance work with an iPod Touch (latest version)? It's the poor man's iPad.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 1, 2010 11:20:47 AM PDT
RBB says:
I haven't tried it with the latest iPod Touch but it does not work with 4.1 on the iPhone 4 so I would imagine it is also unsupported on the iPod Touch.

Posted on Oct 20, 2010 11:45:53 PM PDT
Brian Hogan says:
the speed or lack of is the iPad's weak memory. Why they didnt put 512 in it like the last iPhone is a joke (nothing new with Apple). They had to dump the 256 on us first. They will be releasing an iPad with 512 ram and a camera next, it has been confirmed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 25, 2010 7:31:17 PM PST
Mr. Helpful says:
The Amazon product description says: "The Camera Connector features a USB interface. Just plug it into the dock connector port on your iPad, then attach your digital camera or iPhone using a USB cable (not included)."
I wish this were correct.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›