2.0 out of 5 stars I really want to love this book., October 15, 2009
This review is from: Hush, Hush (The Hush, Hush Saga) (Hardcover)
***Vague spoilers***

I really, really wanted to love this book and pretty much only continued to read through to the end because I hoped things would get better. The fallen angel concept seemed new and exciting but wasn't done justice. You don't get any of the fallen angel stuff until close to the end. Some of the events were too planned or too convenient. Certain traumatizing events weren't as big a deal after the fact when they very much would be. Some things seemed pointless. Did Nora have to be anemic? Maybe that will play a larger role in the next book? Otherwise, it did nothing for the story. The bulk of the characters weren't developed and I was really disappointed with Vee's character because she ended up annoying me more than anything. I've read a lot of out-of-this-world stuff, bought into them, and enjoyed them but I just couldn't see the logic in the decisions the characters were making at all. The wig and sharkskin heels? Patch wanted to leave Nora alone to make sure things were safe when clearly the people who wanted to harm her needed her alone. And why is it so much easier for Nora to find the trouble while it takes Patch forever and we don't even know what he's doing or where he is (even though he's in the same exact location) while horrible things are happening to Nora. The plot twists, though unpredictable, only made me continually question why instead of taking me by surprise. And throughout the book there were many questions left unanswered so you find yourself turning the pages with impatience more than interest.

I especially looked forward to the love story but I just couldn't buy into the idea that they both really loved each other. In fact, throughout the entire book I never got the sense that Patch had any deeper feelings for Nora other than wanting to get in her pants. It seems like that's all he wanted from any female mentioned that was linked to him except for the few times he showed some concern for Nora's safety and well being. The supposed electric moments that occurred between Patch and Nora never happened for me because the moments happened so many times and in weird places. It was overkill and it made it hard for me to fall in love with the bad boy. And I still don't really know much about Patch (and any other character for that matter) and what makes him who he is after almost 400 pages with him.

I'm the type to start and finish a series, good and bad, so they're still going to get money out of me. I'm hoping the second book is much better because I still want to love this series and believe that It has the POTENTIAL to be amazing.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 4, 2010 5:35:20 PM PST
B-BeLL says:
Couldn't agree more. I was never really anxiously waiting to the turn the page, it was more of a "I've spent a few hours reading this, I have to finish at this point".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 4, 2010 12:01:57 PM PDT
YA Librarian says:
I totally agree with your review as well. I just wrote mine and am waiting for it to show up. All I kept thinking about was where is the action? The only type of action there was through most of the book was their banter. I don't call that exciting.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 7:31:28 PM PDT
I actually love this book. I don't understand why Nora being anemic had to add to the story. She's a character. Just like authors give character's hobbies like wanting to write. Does that necessarily mean it's going to come into play later on in the story? Not necessarily. It's just a characteristic that brings the character to life for the audience. Maybe it makes her 'vulnerable' as Patch mentioned several times in the story. I'm now re-reading this story though because I just got the last book and I have been waiting on it for such a long time that I've forgotten some vital elements in the previous books.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (1,050 customer reviews)

$17.99 $13.78