Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

4.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes You Win,Sometimes You Lose, Sometimes it Rains, March 23, 2012
This review is from: MLB 12 The Show - Playstation 3 (Video Game)
This marks my fourth year playing this game, and I can honestly say that, in my opinion, unlike Madden, the game gets significantly better each year. This is , to my mind, the best yet.

It's all been said, so I'll be brief and hopefully helpful. First of all the only thing that I do is franchise against the CPU so I know nothing of RTTS or online issues.

First--graphically this game is even more visually stunning than ever. The appearance of the players and the movements and mannerisms are startlingly lifelike. The game is not for the impatient to be sure, and if you thought it was slow before you will think it positively glacial this year. The pace is, like a real ball game, decidedly leisurely as we see cut-away shots to the crowd,the batter's in-between pitch ritual, the pitcher walking around the mound, mopping his brow, etc. These shots give the game a real TV feel, but does bring the game time to over an hour. To fans of the slow burn of a baseball game this will, I think, be truly appreciated as it adds a very realistic feel.

Let's talk about hitting.There are a number of folks here who will tell you that it is unrealistically difficult. It has been debated at length here, but I will tell you that I am a very average gamer, but I am a baseball fan, and hitting-while difficult-is not impossible and anyone who tells you they played 3 games and got 5 hits and couldn't score a run is not going about it the right way. There is a learning curve to be sure, but the game rewards patience and a little baseball savvy. I can tell you from hard won experience if you regularly chase pitches out of the zone and don't work the count it will eat your lunch. The game will not feel sorry for you or throw you a bone. It will get nastier.

The CPU literally thinks like a pitcher. If you chase sliders away--watchout for another one further away.Has he been pounding the low outside corner? In the immortal words of Shoeless Joe--then look for low and away--but watchout for in your ear! If you work the count, and wait for a pitch to hit you will get hits and score runs. Period. I have played hundreds of games, and if anyone tells you otherwise, I would submit they have not played enough or they just don't want to spend the time it takes to develop the skill set. Is it frustrating sometimes ? You betcha. My Yanks dropped a spring training game to the Astros last night 10-0. It was still fun. I also came back from an 8-3 deficit to beat the Nats 12-10. That, my friends, is The Show. Sometimes you win....sometimes you lose.....sometimes....it rains.

One area of drastic improvement this year is the ball mechanics. The baseball acts much more realistically in terms of the way it bounces, decelerates, etc which adds even more realism to the look and play in the field.

The game is also remarkably flexible. Don't like pulse pitching? (and personally I think that was the dumbest most unnecessary feature ever added to a game)the you don't have to use it. Want to make it easier? Harder? Slow the ball down? Speed the runners up? Different levels and slider settings really allow you to tailor the game to almost any conceivable style of play.

The game has some flaws and goofy things occur every once in awhile, and I guess it's just a matter of personal preference, but to me they are so minor and infrequent as to be inconsequential.

This is my favorite time of year, and anyone who thinks, like me, that the best thing to do in life is sit in a major league stadium, drink a beer and watch baseball will truly enjoy this wonderful homage to America's pasttime.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 23, 2012 1:17:21 PM PDT
For a guy who used to whine a lot about how impossible it was to hit in this game, you sure have nailed it with this review.

Those who get it will agree with you 100%.

Those who disagree, just don't get it.

Nice review.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 23, 2012 1:23:37 PM PDT
Bill G. says:
You're too kind--we both know it adds nothing new to the dialogue, but you know that people in my profession have to bloviate (I love that word--sounds just like what it means)

I know, huh ? Not bad from a former whiner. I should have given all props to you for that in my review.

Posted on Mar 24, 2012 1:24:01 AM PDT
SDwinder says:
Hey Bill, you nailed it! Glad to see you onboard. Love the movie references!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 24, 2012 10:29:33 AM PDT
thanks,mate.

Posted on Mar 30, 2012 2:28:47 PM PDT
Nora says:
Hey, I love the games, but I'm afraid I'm just going to pay for updated rosters and slightly better graphics. I'd never use the vita so that's out. Let me know if I'd be buying the same game as The Show 2011

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 6:36:42 AM PDT
Bill G. says:
Davis--I am by no means an expert and I don't want to steer you toward shelling out $60 but to me it is improved enough that if you really love the game it's worth it. It's the only thing I play and I am an addict so it may just be me, but I think the feel of it is so much improved with the new ball mechanics that for me it is a better game. I don't think that overrall there is any real appreciable difference in the hitting/pitching, i.e. the former is still monstrously challenging, but to me the improvements they have made in the feel and appearance are worth it. Again--if you believe my wife I have a serious problem so you may not want to take my word for it.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›