4.0 out of 5 stars Cool Features but not Smart, April 6, 2012
This review is from: Panasonic VIERA TC-L37E5 37-Inch 1080p 60Hz Full HD IPS LED-LCD TV (2012 Model) (Electronics)
This is my first HD TV (yes I know it's 2012 but hey TV is a low priority on my spending list), so I can't comment on the picture other than it looks awesome to me.

I connect to a cable box and everything seems pretty responsive, changing channels isn't bad, ~2 seconds (I was worried about lag, at work there is a Vizio TV in the gym that I swear takes almost 10 seconds just to change channels. It's not connected to a cable box, so maybe there is a difference.)I'm a channel flipper so this was a concern.

I connected the TV to the Internet via the Ethernet port, not wireless.. for me it was easy to just move my cable modem and wireless router near the TV. I've been through the "which wireless adapter will work" game with Tivo and didn't want to be doing that again, plus wanted to make sure streaming would be fine.

So far, streaming from Netflix has been perfect.

The Amazon site doesn't label the TV "Smart", but the Panasonic site does. I guess it depends on how you define Smart, but this TV can not browse the Internet or download apps, it can only access the five pre-programmed streaming services. Not a big deal to me though, I was just slightly misled.

I was pleasantly surprised, when I clicked the Viera Tools and the DLNA option, it magically found my computer and I was able to play music and play a picture slideshow from the data on my computer. Kind of neat, not sure if I'll ever use it or not.

Speaking of sound, I thought the sound from the TV speakers was pretty weak. From other reviews, I set Treble -10 and Bass +10 and that helps, but it's still not very good. I'm planning to add some speakers soon, probably the Panasonic speaker bar and wireless subwoofer when the latest one comes out.

Overall I'm happy with the TV, awesome picture, the TV is beautiful, and it has a lot of features.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 14, 2012 2:36:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2012 2:38:21 PM PDT
dennis says:
This is even vague on the Panasonic web site. A big picture of Smart TV Viera Linc screen and in small print the only models with it. Even though all of the 2012 TVs are called Smart Viera, it is just these 5 options available. This definitely should not be a deal breaker on this TV. Thanks Amazon for not using the Panasonic word Smart.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 2:45:19 PM PDT
I just ordered a TC-L37E5 and am hoping this TV solves my problem which began in June when a 3 month old SONY smart TV purchased in January (and since discontinued) died. It was working perfectly for that brief time and the best thing was that it was ARC compatible and its remote controled my Panasonic sound bar (SC-HTB-10, great one piece unit but since discontinued). SONY allowed me to replace this dead unit with an upgraded 40 inch which was not ARC compatible but could hook up to soundbar using digital optical cables. Unfortunately this meant using the sound bar remote to adjust sound level. Returned the SONY and my local dealer sold me a Panasonic 32 inch LED/LCD in the X5 series which is ARC compatible and he said would solve the problem. WRONG!!! After about 10 phone calls to Panasonic, SONY and the dealer the conclusion was that I needed a Panasonic TV with the Viera Link feature. OK, no problem. I ordered the 37 inch (largest I can fit) in the E5 series. Learned it was discontinued, as was the 32 inch model in the E5 series. Result was that NO Vieral link TV exists in under 42 inches. Tried a Harmony universal remote----no luck. Went on Amazon today and they still have some of the discontinued E5 models; I ordered the 37 inch model and so it must exist because it I just got notification that it shipped. It is not ARC compatible (at least not mentioned as such in the specs) but am told by Panasonic tech support (which can be sketchy) that it will allow both the TV and sound bar to communicate and I will be able to use the TV remote to adjust the sound level. Am I just an incompetent consumer or has any one else gone through this type of issue??? My TV arrive Friday so my fingers, and cables, are crossed.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 6:39:37 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2012 6:40:55 PM PDT
Steve says:
I don't think they've discontinued the E5 models, those were all new in 2012. My impression was the 37" was very popular and sold out for a while, but looks like there is stock now.

I have the 37" and a Panasonic SC-HTB550 sound bar. I connect through the ARC port with HDMI.

The TV remote does indeed control the sound bar. It turns on and off with the TV, and the TV sound turns it up or down.

However, about 40% of the time when turning on the TV, even though the sound bar turns on as well, there is no sound. I have to use the sound bar remote to turn the sound bar off and then on again.

I have not tried contacting Panasonic about this, but at least one other reviewer noted the same problem.

Good luck with your purchase.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 24, 2012 8:20:59 AM PDT
Finally got things set up with the new Panasonic 37 inch TV that arrived in good condition. The sound bar linked flawlessly and it works perfectly with the TV remote. What really surprised me is that I had expected the same distortion with anaog channels that I experienced with the SONY. However that is not the case and the analog stations are sharp as a bell with no distortion. The only thing that could be better is the sound volume. The TV sound volume is not great and the soundbar is a must. However, the sound level coming from the soundbar is not as loud as it was with the SONY----no problem for my room size but it could be a problem in a larger room. Does any one have any idea of why the sound levels would be so different?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›