4.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but not great, April 6, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mass Effect 3 Collector's Edition -Xbox 360 (Video Game)
I am writing this prior to finishing the game. I play it on a PS3, because that is what I own, and I only joined the series from ME2 on.
I had a credit from another game purchased, so I thought I would upgrade to the collectors edition. I'm not a collector by any means, but I enjoyed ME2 so much that I thought it would be fun to get the extra perks. The art book is nice, as is the comic book, but the in game extras aren't that exciting. The box is rather cool.

ME3 has the potential to be a great game (keep in mind I haven't finished it yet), but it just seems to be missing something. For me ME2 was an amazing game. I felt completely involved, and was excited to start a new game as soon as I finished one. The different classes to play, the different choices, and the lure of being able to carry my save files into the final game of the trilogy all kept me thoroughly engrossed. In ME3, I see the potential for the game, but it doesn't quite feel or appear the same. The character models don't look as good. The lip syncing isn't that great, especially when you are talking to characters outside of a cut scene (ie. Ashley in the observation lounge). The character movements freeze occasionally when moving about. Searching for war assets isn't as rewarding as searching for elements in ME2. Granted, the planet scanning was a pain, but it had a purpose. The war assets you find when scanning just don't seem to have an impact that you can experience. You find upgrades for your weapons frequently and too easily. I feel like I complete side missions without ever really focusing on them. During early game play, I noticed I had a lot of side quest descriptions pop up on my codex. I know they occur when you overhear someone talking, but I never really set out to complete them. Most I just sort of stumbled upon whatever item I was supposed to retrieve. It wasn't very gratifying. You matter of factly run into old squad mates from ME2; some hang around, and some just sort of disappear. Where you invested many hours to gain their support, you now just sort of bump into them, and on a couple of occasions, without any real closure.

The story is very encompassing. If all things were equal between ME2 and ME3, it would be great. The story, interacting with characters, establishing and supporting relationships, trying to experience the game play of every class, paramount versus renegade choices and outcomes, choosing different responses, and just talking to crew members over and over again just to hear something new from them are all reasons I enjoy playing this game. I have heard all of the negative press about the ending, but I am trying really hard to remain neutral, and form my own conclusions.

The co-op play I could take or leave. I didn't get ME3 for it's multi-player. It's fun, and a good way to extend the game play, but I really don't like that it contributes to the single player story. Yes, you can finish the single player game just fine without playing any co-op matches, but co-op play can enhance the single player story. That being said, the co-op game play has been fun, and I really like how they issue challenges to draw you in. That keeps distracting me from the single player game, which for me has extended my first play through of the game.

I would definitely recommend this game. The story and character interactions/development are rich and deep. I only hope I get drawn back in to another play through; I finished ME2 6 times in a matter of months.

Update (041212) - So I finished my first play through. I understand what everyone is complaining about, and while I agree with the comments, I still liked the game and ending. My intent is to play through all 6 of my save files from ME2, but I will admit that I don't feel as much of a draw to play again as I did with ME2. I believe this is due to the fact that this is the final game, there is nothing to look forward to after this in terms of Commander Shepard. And now that I think about it, the game will be different only up to the ending sequence, which will essentially be the same situation no matter how I play the game. That kind of stinks, but I will still play again just to experience all of the dialog and choices that I possibly can.

Update 052813: I got sucked into the DLC, especially the citadel dlc. I want so badly to reconnect with Miranda, but after 5 plays through this dlc, I can't seem to get what I want (I peeked on youtube). There are so many options just with this last dlc, that one could play over and over again just to hear the different dialogue and comments from the characters. This whole series (I recently started ME since they released it for the PS3) is crazy addicting to me. ME2 is still the best though, but the multiplayer for ME3 is quite fun.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]