3.0 out of 5 stars I am mostly happy with this TV, August 8, 2012
This review is from: Toshiba 32C120U 32-Inch 720p 60Hz LCD HDTV (Black) (2012 Model) (Electronics)
The picture is very sharp and it is much better than I expected for the price.

But I have one big complaint and one smaller one.

The small complaint is that the remote is oddly designed. Some frequently used buttons are very tiny and poorly labeled. The mute only goes to half mute when first pressed. If I wanted to turn the TV down, I'd turn it down. I expect the mute button to mute the TV.

The large complaint is that the audio is not very bright. The maximum sound level is barely enough for me to hear over my fan or when I am cooking. If you like to watch TV loud or if you are putting it in a large room with background noise, you will be disappointed. I am going to have to buy some external speakers. I am not a gamer and don't care about extra bass--I want a crisper sound in the midrange/human voice levels. I keep rewinding to hear what is said during movies and dramas when conversations are soft. News shows and game shows are OK.

That said, the picture is very sharp. It is my first HDTV so I have nothing to compare it to but the picture is very nice, and I was expecting to pay a lot more.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 6 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 4:08:00 PM PST
I currently have a 30 something inch tv, circa 20 years ago. I don't care what faults you find in this tv, it will be incredibly better than what I have. Now, how do I get rid of that 100 pound monster in my living room!?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 4:41:00 PM PST
Some electronic buff would love to have that TV. Put it on E Bay. Also, there may be electronics recyclers in your general area who would come and take the old TV off your hands.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 5:04:08 PM PST
Thank you -- really an electronics buff would like it? It does work. Best Buy is the only electronics recycler of which I'm aware, and they take only flat screens. I will offer it on ebay. Again, thanks!

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:53:46 PM PST
BBmax50 says:
I challange you to turn the volume all the way down in the time it takes me to press mute twice. MANY times cutting the volume in half is more than sufficient and others who are watching can still hear. I think it is a great idea and ADDS to the value of the TV.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:36:37 PM PST
Actually, you are right. I have gotten used to it and see the value in it. Now I automatically press twice when I need the TV completely muted. Every now and then I use the halfway mute too. It is a good feature.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 8:02:30 PM PST
i also like the half mute feature

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 4:22:45 AM PST
tmariemac says:
Does this TV have a jack for headphones, wireless or wired?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 5:26:19 AM PST
curtis abbe says:
The sound level on mine is is AMAZING! When I first got this TV, I like almost a lot of others folks, the sound was just crappy. I could turn it up to 100 & still not sound that good, but I don't know what I did to it but I can't even turn it up past 30 because it is way to loud. Go figure.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2012 10:37:13 AM PST
dan r says:
Perhaps you disabled a dynamic range compression (tries to keep commercials from playing too loud) feature?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 1, 2013 9:21:05 PM PST