3.0 out of 5 stars Great film, disappointing gift set, October 18, 2011
This review is from: Ben-Hur (50th Anniversary Ultimate Collector's Edition) [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
Length:: 8:11 Mins

Ben-Hur is a magnificent movie, everyone knows that.
So, in this video I go directly into reviewing the gift set edition and it's contents.
Hope you'll find it useful.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 29, 2011 6:52:48 AM PDT
John Maltby says:
Good info - thank you. I've already ordered the Gift Set, but not yet received it (I live in Australia). However, to me, it looks pretty good at 40 odd dollars (plus minimal postage to Oz). If it is ever released in Oz (which it won't be), I would be looking at $140 plus... So, if it is as you have decribed, I will be more than pleased.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2011 7:08:41 AM PDT
I'm glad you found the review useful.
Thank you for your comment.
Best Regards.

Posted on Nov 29, 2011 9:41:09 AM PST
Andras says:
Excellent review, thank you! I wish I could speak half the Portuguese of your English! I have a couple of questions: Is the gift set's hight and width the same size as other blu-ray cases? In other words, would it fit onto a shelf with other blu-rays without being taller or wider? Also, what camera and setup did you use to produce this video? I noticed the excellent details and focus.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2011 1:43:33 PM PST
Hello Adras! Thank you for you kind comment.
The dimensions of the gift set's box are approximatelly 11 x 8 x 2 1/4 inches. It is a lot bigger than standard blu-ray cases. However, the digipack that holds the discs is about the same width and height as a regular case, just a bit deeper. Perhaps you could keep the digipack on your shelf among other titles, and display the box with the book and the diary some place else.
As for the camera set, it's a JVC HD Everio, model GZ-HM320. It is no big deal, but it really has a good auto focusing system, specially for macro.
Again, thank you for your comment. Regards.

Posted on Dec 1, 2011 9:31:57 PM PST
Dude, that was awesome! Very, very impressive.

And I agree with your idea that there is no real point to reviewing the movie itself - there are many places to get such reviews, and by professional movie reviewers at that.

However, one thing I think you may want to consider addressing in future reviews is the quality of the Blu Ray transfer. That is, the video and sound quality reproduced by the disks. I think if you will include that sort of information in your reviews, you will have the complete, masterpiece review.

Nevertheless, your review is tremendously helpful. One of the best I have seen here at Amazon, period. Congratulations.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2011 8:21:34 AM PST
Hello,
Thank you for your kind comment. I am glad you found this review useful.
You are right, I should have said something about the quality of the transfer.
I did that in some text reviews I submitted, such as the one I wrote for the blu-ray edition of "The Searchers". I am sorry I didn't do the same here.
I will make sure I follow your advice in my future video reviews.
Thank you!

Posted on Dec 18, 2011 4:24:12 PM PST
Homeowner says:
Wonderful review! Thank you very much!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2011 4:56:45 PM PST
Thank you, that's very kind of you!

Posted on Jan 24, 2012 11:15:24 AM PST
ELT says:
Sorry, Ricardo, you are way off base here. The gift set is splendid. It is quality over quantity. We don't need a soundtrack as Rhino produced a complete one years ago and pictures etc only get stored and fogotten about. The film is a perfect transfer to blu ray and that is the most important thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2012 12:59:00 PM PST
Hi! Yes, the film is the important thing. But remember I said that I would be reviewing the edition, not the film. My purpose was to show what your money is buying when you pick this gift set. For those who are only interested in the movie itself, I would recommend the regular blu-ray edition. But please remember that some film lovers like to have memorabilia from their favorite movies. It was in that sense that I said that this box was inferior to others that cost the same or even less. Thanks for your comment!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.8 out of 5 stars (1,194 customer reviews)
 (1,037)