3.0 out of 5 stars Noise Canceling Function has Limited Application, February 4, 2009
This review is from: Sennheiser PXC 450 Active Noise-Canceling Headphones (Electronics)
In a low ambient noise environment the NC function is superb delivering a most pleasing quality. It is at a cost of slight pressure on the ear drum. At times the pressure is not equal causing an imbalance perception. The major drawback of the 450 is that it has limited application. It cannot be used on small aircraft or loud environments. This includes jet engine reversal when landing. The headset rumbles equally loud to the ambient noise. I am forced to use my older generation Bose NC headphones when travelling on smaller aircraft. The Sennheiser engineer I spoke with states that the 450 cannot be used in an environment with heavy vibration. While accoutically and structurally superior to the older generation Bose, the 450 is less functional.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 9, 2011 6:28:47 AM PST
Paul M says:
Just purchased a pair of these, and I agree with the assessment of limited noise reduction functionality. Sound quality is quite good, but lacks "punch" when listening to classical selections.

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 6:56:44 PM PST
Larns says:
Thanks for the great review - they are on their way to me.

Just a side comment: jet engines aren't reversed, but their thrust is via mechanical redirection. Therefore, they are "thrust reversers"... speaking as someone that was once in that business.

Posted on Jun 23, 2013 10:31:36 AM PDT
Yiu Chan says:
Active NC device if can suppress cruse engine noise in flight very well but noise when engine throttle up in take off and braking, has something to do with the NC channel's dynamic range (i.e. insufficient peak power envelop). On the other hand, employing a high dynamic NC channel can drain out the tiny battery in no time, that has been a struggle between design engineers and business managers to rule in/out high throttle noise to be a requirement in the product.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 16, 2013 2:46:37 PM PDT
Arent you supposed to have all electronic devices off at that point of the flight anyway??

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 9, 2013 5:05:09 PM PDT
EXACTLY.

Posted on Mar 31, 2014 9:44:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 31, 2014 9:47:01 AM PDT
wintermute says:
I completely agree with this. The rumble on takeoff from the jet is louder than the headphone can handle and you get noticeable distortion from the headphones. Additionally, I found that the equalization (sound quality) suffers while in the air. Additionally I try to use these on the train (Chicago Metra) and again the EQ suffers, and occasionally too much rumble overwhelms. Possibly too much vibration reduces headroom? I'm not sure, but I got these headphones for superb sound quality while having reduced noise, and they do not deliver that at all while on an airplane. I was better off using my Beyer 880's really loud - which is a shame because it could damage my hearing and the compression the human ear produces - but I needed good quality sound to audition some work on my laptop while on the plane. Someday I should just get some Bose... Is my conclusion after using these. I paid waaaay too much and now these just sit on my shelf, I use AKG 240's and Beyer 880s full time for sound monitoring, and some Beats Studios for "fun" listening...

Posted on Nov 13, 2014 3:44:02 AM PST
Aristoteles says:
My experience with Sennheiser PXC 450 is much more disappointing. I used to own Sennheiser PXC 300 and decided to upgrade. The design of 450 is more stylish but that is about it. Battery life sucked compared to PXC 300: a major inconvenience. The "talk through" mechanism turned out to be just a gimmick. The positioning of voice controls is awkward -- 300 was much better. Passive noise cancellation is weak (i.e., noise cancellation due to the earcup). And active noise cancellation is actually weaker than PXC 300. Strange to see a manufacturer designing a poorer product and then marketing it as an 'upgrade'.

So I took the jump and bought Bose QC 25. Now I am kicking myself for having stuck with Sennheiser for so long. The noise cancellation is from a different planet -- both active and passive. There simply is no competition. When I first tried it, I was floored. And, the earcups with snugly. The fit is much tighter. The headphones are also lighter and more compact than Sennheisers. And sound quality is much better.

To me, there is no competition, and I am flaggerbasted to see Senhheiser actually charging more than Bose.

This is a verdict from a previously dedicated Sennheiser customer.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.9 out of 5 stars (419 customer reviews)

$449.99 $249.99