5 of 5 people found the following review helpful
Answers your money questions and encourages change!,
This review is from: Money Girl's Smart Moves to Grow Rich (Quick & Dirty Tips) (Paperback)
New Year's Resolution: get your financial life in order. Great. Basic knowledge? Check. Friends and family with well-meaning but inaccurate advice? Check. Priority? No check. What I needed, it turns out, is the gentle hand up that she gives in this book.
Best part for me personally? Her initial chapter on "What's your mind money-set." I was able to read it out loud and start "the talk" with the husband on our relationship with money. Her tone and approach is much better than anything I've found this year in trying to broach that difficult subject.
Important to know:
1) Her tone is that of a really smart friend that knows the latest and cares: positive attitude without any games or guilt.
2) The advice is solid and current - even as a research junkie (and with a degree in a related field), it would take me weeks to find and validate the information, websites and tips she has. I'd rather read hers, and spend the time making changes to my finances (whoa, stop the procrastination?).
3) The writing is well organized. The book serves either as "read to learn" end to end, or as a reference for only the topics that interest you.
4) The title is a bit of a misnomer - the goal is to become financially solid and make the most of the money you have and earn, "getting rich" the old fashioned way. Of course, it's the way to go, but if you are looking for a get-rich quick book, you are definitely reading the wrong reviews.
5) If you are in a hurry, read the summary with the 20 tips at the end, and then go back and selectively go to the chapters about the ones you have trouble implementing or need to know more about. Skim and learn the tips (in the boxes) throughout.
I've got a shelf of unread books on various financial topics, but this is the one with the underlines, the bent corners, the tape flags - and that gets read.... Highly recommend!