2.0 out of 5 stars Save your money . Stick with 4, April 30, 2012
This review is from: Sid Meier's Civilization V: Game of the Year Edition [Download] (Software Download)
I finally got around to getting Civ V a year later. Can't say it was worth the wait. I'm just happy I didn't drop the initial $50 they were asking. It's an inexcusable retread. It looks pretty, like every new version of Civ (I've been playing since Civ 1) they spend energy on graphics but do little under the hood. I keep waiting in vain for real substantive changes in the game. The new city states are alright but I think religion, espionage, and corps, dropped in this version are more fun and strategically challenging. I've never been a warmonger so I was looking forward to the non-stack tiles, but I gotta say, it's actually kind of annoying. You spend an inordinate amount of time playing shuffle-puzzle to move the units around. This wouldn't be so bad except we are still (5 versions on) doing one move = one year. So getting your units across an Atlantic sized body of water still takes six or seven years.
Diplomacy is STILL "I'll trade you my cookies for your Twinkie."I could go on but with the exception of the long awaited hex tiles (thank you!) this is the exact same game as Civ 4. Oh wait, there's one other big difference--the Steam based play. I've played Assassin's Creed and other games that require you to be online and it's never been a problem, so I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. But Uplay doesn't force pop-up ads on you. It doesn't fire up at startup and throw alerts at you when you're trying to get work done. And it doesn't take 10+ minutes to start the game (this on my hot-rod Vaio that nothing slows down). Maybe all this would be worth it if Civ 5 was a real upgrade in game play. But the whole thing is recycled. Even some of the sound files are the same as 4. The nation specific score they were touting sounds like cheesy midi-files of cultural clichés. The new voiceover guy is fine but he's no Leonard Nimoy.
The unit sprites are no better than 4, and the leader animations will remind you of the gyrating heralds of Civ 2. The endgame is still interminable and inexcusably boring. I almost never play conquest, but Civ 5 even managed to make conquering the world a tedious chore by the end. Don't get me started how Civ 4's absurd cultural victory has been made even worse by turning it into social policy bingo! If you have Civ 4 BTS you need go no further. This franchise needs a serious adrenalin shot if it's going to survive. I for one will not pay $50 every few years for the same game in a new box. I'm going to write this one off as a loss and go back to BTS.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 26, 2012 10:47:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2012 10:51:29 AM PDT
L.S. says:
Are you sure you even played this version? Sounds like you played the demo and not the full game.

Secondly, you do not have to be online to play the game. Yes, it's Steam, but
I often play while offline (internet down) and played just fine.

As far as "we are still (5 versions on) doing one move = one year", I guess you enjoyed that in Civ1-4 enough to buy all those versions. It's a turn-based game, thus you will have that sort of step-by-step game play.

One should not write a review based on their experience playing a demo.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2012 9:28:52 AM PDT
Benjamin says:
"First of all, the religion and espionage expansion isn't out yet. So, you are not basing your opinion on your actual experience of playing the game."

Except that we didn't have to buy a gazillion expansion packs in Civ 4 to get these features. They were core features. Great that Firaxis has realized the error of its ways here and, umpteen expansion packs later, finally decide to re-add features already present and working fine in the previous version...but I'm not going to give them a medal for it.

My core issue with V is that it "fixed" things that weren't broken, and broke (or removed entirely) things that already worked reasonably well or just needed some tweaking. The biggest innovation in V was the hex system. That is a real improvement. Unfortunately, the one unit per hex restriction pretty much removed whatever benefit that provided. Everything else in V was likewise: 1 step forward, a step sideways, a step in some random direction, and then a step back.

Now that the Game of the Year edition has been marked down to $12 and some change, I'll probably go ahead and get it. But after playing it on friends' machines a few times, I sure as blazes wasn't paying $49.99, $39.99 or even $24.99.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 11, 2012 4:43:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 11, 2012 4:44:59 PM PDT
Sean O'Skea says:
Hi LS:

No I bought the game from right here at Amazon. You kind make my point when you say "The religion and espionage expansion isn't out yet" I've already paid full price for a game. I'm tired of spending 40 or 50 bucks on the "baseline" game. And then getting 'If you want all the cool stuff we're gonna charge you again and again for "expansion packs." This game has been out for a year. How long do I have to wait to have the "actual experience of playing the game"?

Yes, I understand it's a turn based game thank you. My point is movement is geared toward the bronze age when it might actually take your troops 4 or 5 years (don't forget time per turn is longer in different ages) to get from one side of your nation to the other. If we need to maneuver our units into positions to avoid stacking it seems silly (maybe its just me) that it takes anywhere from two or three centuries to four or five years, depending on the date, just to get your units into position to start your battles. It has always annoyed me, hence complaining that is has been going on for all five versions.

Also if you read what I wrote, I have no problem being online (whether you need to or not) while playing, my problem with Steam is the pop-up ads and several layers of start up. Steam takes over your computer, that's my issue.

One should read a review more carefully before commenting.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›