1.0 out of 5 stars I don't know how to put this..., July 11, 2010
This review is from: The Naked Viscount (Mass Market Paperback)
the initial premise of the book, the meeting of the hero and heroine, is so disturbing to me that I don't know how to "title" a book review. Jane surprises an intruder in her (borrowed) home. They grapple, he overpowers her, then they begin to kiss and whatever. And she likes it.

In real life, when a stranger breaks into your home and sexually assaults you, it's a felony. A lifelong nightmare for the victim. Certainly not the beginning of a romantic fantasy that will sustain a book - or a marriage.

The rest of the book, as far as I could bring myself to read, was a typical pretends-to-be-a-historical-romance-because there are a few archaic words thrown in, with references to the fashions of the times and horse-drawn carriages, while the dialogue and behavior is bizarrely unusual even for a contemporary situation. But I never could get past the idea that Jane was in love with the man who assaulted her. My ability to suspend disbelief could not stretch that far. Gross and disturbing.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 26, 2010 8:47:01 AM PDT
Goldie locks says:
I think you missed something in the description of their meeting if you are that traumatized from it. I almost didn't buy this book because of the way you described it, but decided to get the Kindle sample just to see, and boy am I glad I did! It specifically says in the book that just as he lowers his mouth to hers see recognizes him and not only had she just been thinking of him she'd been infatuated with him since her first season. That is very much different from having some stranger sexually assault her!
I'm not going to comment on the rest of your review because you are of course entitled to your own opinion, however, I just thought that the way you describe their meeting was very misleading!

Posted on Jan 20, 2011 11:05:35 AM PST
You saw that very sexy kiss as assault? She'd been thinking about how much she liked him since she first saw years ago. He was her brothers' friend. He lived next door - when she recognized him (which was before he tried to kiss her) she wondered if he'd gotten lost going home. This was not a kiss from a stranger - and he didn't overpower her (that word conjurs up visions of her being held against her will and/or forced, which so did not happen) - he put his arms around her and kissed her. I've actually read several books which start w/someone breaking into a home (be it H/h) and the first encounter leads to a kiss - which leads, ultimately to a HEA. It's not real life, but it is sweet and sexy and can be hot! I was surprised how much I liked this book, as the last "Naked" book I read was a bit of a disappointment, but this was charming.

Posted on Jul 19, 2011 11:47:07 PM PDT
Sophie says:
over a year later, this is still the only review I've written that "commentators" suggest I need therapy for. I actually am a therapist - having my radar high for preventing further hurt to trauma victims comes naturally to me, if not to my critics. it's up to you: intruder in your bedroom after dark kisses you. romance or assault? buy the book or don't.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›

Review Details

Item

3.8 out of 5 stars (13 customer reviews)

$6.99 $6.29