5.0 out of 5 stars To Boldly Go Where No Photo Has Gone Before...., September 27, 2012
This review is from: Star Trek: The Next Generation 365 (Hardcover)
I first heard about Star Trek: The Next Generation: 365 at the beginning of this year. From the first blurb I read online I knew I would buy this book. After all, I have been buying "glossy" Star Trek books for nearly twenty years so I pre-ordered on Amazon and began the long wait for the Autumn release.

In the months that followed, I saw the pages and teaser photos as they were released to the general public. These tiny glimpses only increased my excitement. One of the authors, Terry Erdman, also penned one of my favorite books Star Trek: Action! that had a tremendous effect on the direction I would take in my professional life.

The book arrived early and I have had it in my hands for several hours. I thumbed through it, page by page and read articles attached to pictures I have never seen. The book takes the form of a chronology in images of the run of The Next Generation. Some of the photos have been published many times over the years in books, magazines and on the Internet but there are a precious few that I had never seen and I dare say you haven't either.

There are little factoids, snippets of scripts and behind-the-scenes moments that make even this seasoned fan of the series grin with glee. The "never before seen" photos are a rare insight of both cast, crew and visitors to the set. I particularly enjoyed a glimpse into the offices of the writers and producers. Without giving away any of the good stuff: If I may be so bold, you're in for a treat. 365 is quite a book.

It is a small shame that the publishers didn't delay its production until all of TNG is released on Blu-Ray. There are "screen shots" that are particularly low-res and with my background in printing they stand out to me like a guest star using a Tricorder backwards. This is hardly the fault of the writers.

This book is full of photos that capture the spirit of why I have always wanted to work in television. I hope Terry and Paula are hard at work on another Star Trek book so I can pre-order it and start bothering them about it all over again.

Be the first person to comment on this review.

[Add comment]