5.0 out of 5 stars A novelty? Yes. A tool for photography? Absolutely., April 26, 2014
This review is from: Samsung NX Mini 20.5MP CMOS Smart WiFi & NFC Compact Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 9mm Lens and 3" Flip Up LCD Touch Screen (White) (Electronics)
My current camera collection consists of a Canon 5d3 and L glass, a pair of Sony A7's with FE lenses, a GoPro and an iPhone 5s. I've also owned micro four thirds cameras and was an early adopter for the Fujifilm X system. I say this not because I'm trying to convince you that I'm a real photographer... I just want you to know that I have a lot of experience with digital photography technology. To say the least, I'm an enthusiast that loves to document life.

Off bat, what interested me was the small minimal form with a 1 inch sensor, the tiny 24mm equivalent pancake lens and the rotating "selfie" screen.

The small form factor: It's very fashionable. I called it a novelty because it's unusual and kinda cute. Great for parties and events. The camera feels premium. I'm quite astounded how they managed to fit a huge battery (rated 600+ shots) in such a small body.

The sensor and lens. I haven't done a ton of pixel peeping but the sensor seems to be pretty darn good at lower ISOs. I don't plan on using this for any sort of low light photography but I wouldn't mind turning the flash on and taking some group photos (or group selfies) of friends. Also, the pancake lens is superbly sharp. A bit slow at f/3.5 but again, I don't plan on shooting in dim lighting with this (without flash).

The "selfie" screen. I'm not ashamed of the selfie. I don't mind taking a selfie here and there to document me in front of amazing views or worldly landmarks. I've often handed my camera to a stranger to come back to a blurry photo or odd composition. While the 24mm won't get a whole lot of the background, it gets enough without distorting my face too much.

Are there things that could be better? Of course. The lens for instances has no cap or cover. It's almost like mobile phones where the main glass is covered by another glass.

Wink face detection. When you wink, the photo is taken after a few beeps. It's a cool feature so that you're not pressing the shutter button down that may cause camera shake, but the winking is a little buggy. Hoping they can fine tune it with a firmware upgrade, otherwise they should have omitted it all together. I wouldn't put a feature that was more frustrating than useful on a product.

I'm not sure how much more the camera would retail for if they added a higher resolution LCD screen, but it would have definitely been welcome, especially at this day in age.

All in all, it's just a really fun camera that packs a punch when put in the right hands. I feel it's also priced rather competitively and you get a good deal for what you're paying for in my opinion. And while the flip screen may seem like a novelty or a one trick pony to some people, for me, it's actually a versatile camera with great image quality relative to its sensor size.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 27 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 30, 2014 1:50:16 AM PDT
V. Gulyan says:

Posted on Apr 30, 2014 3:06:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 30, 2014 3:12:37 AM PDT
Monte F. Kay says:
You mentioned no lens cap but mine came with one, just a regular snap on like any SLR lens. I bought mine in Taiwan last week, I think just before the release date in the US. Not sure why the US version would be without the cap, maybe check the box again? I just wish it were possible to install a UV filter. Btw, I seem to have found one limitation... At night taking photos of brightly lit red signs they come out orange or yellow unless I use -.7 exposure compensation or more. Otherwise it's a pretty amazing little camera for its size and certainly a lot easier to carry around than my Nikon D600. If I get around to reviewing it I will likely give it five stars unless something changes my mind before then.

Edit: Btw, this may be perfectly normal with the exposure compensation, I'm not a photographer, for all I know my D600 may require the same compensation, never really tried it.

mk

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2014 3:09:25 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 30, 2014 3:09:52 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2014 3:10:52 AM PDT
Monte F. Kay says:
I'm confused, was this review re-written after your comment? I don't see any regurgitation of marketing material at all.

mk

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2014 4:39:55 AM PDT
Not sure what you're talking about. Maybe you should read the "verified purchase" above my review.

I bought this camera for things that interested me and my feelings about those particular interests after using it.

Check me out on Instagram and you'll see the cam in action. @michaelbenito.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2014 9:16:14 AM PDT
mk -

I checked the box again and did not see a lens cap. I'm actually not sure how it would even stay on as the lens is completely flush with the barrel. I hope you're not mistaking caps for the camera and the back of the lens?

Also, my original review was not edited so I'm not sure what V.Gulyan is talking about.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2014 3:11:45 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 4, 2014 3:45:37 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2014 1:15:33 AM PDT
V. Gulyan says:

In reply to an earlier post on May 3, 2014 8:16:46 PM PDT
J. Kim says:
Hey V Guylyan, these are Amazon amateur consumer reviews. Apparently 16/16 thought the review was helpful. If you want comprehensive technical reviews, go search online. Talk about wanting something for nothing.

Posted on May 3, 2014 8:20:06 PM PDT
J. Kim says:
The fact that they don't provide a lens cap is very odd. So, there is nothing to protect the lens when it's not in use? How did they expect us to protect the lens from dust and scratches then?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›