3.0 out of 5 stars Read this before buying this Onkyo product., July 11, 2012
This review is from: Onkyo HT-S9400THX 7.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver/Speaker Package (Electronics)
I thought I did a lot of research before purchasing this all in one set. Unfortunately I never when on the official Onkyo support forum to see all of the HDMI issues with their receivers. The set arrived in perfect condition in a HUGE box with everything inside. The speakers are awesome and the powered sub-woofer really brings the bass to the party.

My home theater set-up is pretty simple. I plugged all of my HDMI components into the receiver and then have one HDMI out to my projector. This allows me to select what's on the projector from my Onkyo system remote and video and sound are all handled by the HDMI cords.

The setup worked perfectly for a week. Then I started getting a NO Signal on my projector screen when I tried to play a movie from my bluray player. Through several problem solving steps I was able to isolate the issue to the HDMI out from the Onkyo to what ever source I hooked it up to; projector or HD TV. I kept getting a "No signal" on the Onkyo receiver when I would select any source I had hooked up via HDMI. After a few calls to the Onkyo help desk, they had me do a receiver reset and then upgrade to the latest firmware on the receiver. Nothing worked. They finally told me to send it to them at MY cost and they would look at it.

I decided to take it to a local shop that was an official Onkyo service center to avoid having to pay for the shipping. After a few days they called to tell me I needed a new HDMI board and it was going to take 10 days to get the part. The guy said this is a very common issue with Onkyo receivers and he pointed to a stack of them he had in for repair behind the counter.

I don't usually review products but I wanted to make sure to share my story with any potential buyers. Before you make a purchase make sure you google "onkyo HDMI issues" and do the research I wish I had done before buying this unit.

I will try to update this review when I get the receiver back.

I really wish the HDMI wasn't an issue because the setup was really awesome for the week that it worked.

Update 3/6/2013: I got the receiver back from the shop over the summer of 2012 (no charge). They replaced the HDMI card and the receiver has been working perfectly since. I really love this system now that it works. Just had some issues in the beginning. Hopefully this will be the last update.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 12, 2012 9:21:32 PM PDT
Alex says:
My HT-S9400 works for a couple of months, suddenly, the HDMI inputs stop working, i did a lot of research and find a DIY page explaining how to change some of the faulty capacitors, but no results, all four HDMI input fails, HDMI out works... Joe, I need to find a new HDMI board for mine, can you help me with contact info of the shop... or maybe, the part number for replacement :S ?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 2:56:41 PM PDT
J Cissell says:
Hi Alex, the shop I took it to is called Rex Service Company in Worth, IL. Their phone number is 708-448-5558. They have a website too www.rexservice.com

I called to get you a part number but the parts department had gone home. I will know more in a week once I get the unit back.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 2:18:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 14, 2012 2:18:48 PM PDT
Jimmy E. says:
Thanks for taking the time to write your review. I have a ten year old Onkyo HTIB and was seriously considering this system. After your experience, I'm changing my mind.

Posted on Jul 15, 2012 1:33:06 PM PDT
PenCritic says:
How come ONKYO didn't give you the option to return the unit at their expense when even the repair shop acknowledges is a known issue, wasn't that supposed to be cover on the warranty.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 8:25:59 PM PDT
Alex says:
Thx Joe for the info... I'll wait if u can get the part number... I'm in Colombia BTW, so, is very hard to get someone who can repair it :(

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 5:21:46 PM PDT
J Cissell says:
The ONKYO warranty is very specific about not paying for shipping TO them. They do pay the shipping to return the unit to you once they fix it. I'm glad there was a authorized repair store near me so I could avoid the shipping. I could have returned the unit to Amazon free of charge but did not have a way to pack up the 7 speakers, subwoofer and receiver. Hopefully this unit will work once I pick it up from the repair shop tomorrow. I will update.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 5:28:56 PM PDT
J Cissell says:
No problem. I'm hoping my story has a happy ending. I didn't want to scare people from buying this system but wanted to make sure they did the proper research. My brother in law has the exact same system and has been using it daily for a few months with no issues at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 4:58:03 PM PDT
J Cissell says:
Just got the ONKYO receiver back and it's fixed! Works like a champ now....cross your fingers. Here is the part number for the HDMI Board they replaced 1B258584-1E

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2012 5:40:11 PM PDT
Alex says:
Congrats!!! Excellents news Joe, I'm happy for you, and many many thanks for the replacement info... but, I'm trying to find a web page who sell it... :( no success for the moment... Maybe, if it is no much trouble for you, can you ask at the store?... (I'll write/call them to see if they can sell it and send it to my Miami address)

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 4:38:54 PM PDT
Pramod Sathe says:
Joe, I am having exactly same issue and was going through the same situation. Decided to see reviews and thank god. I now know what to do. I bought it in Mar 2012 and it started giving me issues since last week. Thanks for the post.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›