3.0 out of 5 stars Read this before buying this Onkyo product., July 11, 2012
This review is from: Onkyo HT-S9400THX 7.1-Channel Network A/V Receiver/Speaker Package (Electronics)
I thought I did a lot of research before purchasing this all in one set. Unfortunately I never when on the official Onkyo support forum to see all of the HDMI issues with their receivers. The set arrived in perfect condition in a HUGE box with everything inside. The speakers are awesome and the powered sub-woofer really brings the bass to the party.

My home theater set-up is pretty simple. I plugged all of my HDMI components into the receiver and then have one HDMI out to my projector. This allows me to select what's on the projector from my Onkyo system remote and video and sound are all handled by the HDMI cords.

The setup worked perfectly for a week. Then I started getting a NO Signal on my projector screen when I tried to play a movie from my bluray player. Through several problem solving steps I was able to isolate the issue to the HDMI out from the Onkyo to what ever source I hooked it up to; projector or HD TV. I kept getting a "No signal" on the Onkyo receiver when I would select any source I had hooked up via HDMI. After a few calls to the Onkyo help desk, they had me do a receiver reset and then upgrade to the latest firmware on the receiver. Nothing worked. They finally told me to send it to them at MY cost and they would look at it.

I decided to take it to a local shop that was an official Onkyo service center to avoid having to pay for the shipping. After a few days they called to tell me I needed a new HDMI board and it was going to take 10 days to get the part. The guy said this is a very common issue with Onkyo receivers and he pointed to a stack of them he had in for repair behind the counter.

I don't usually review products but I wanted to make sure to share my story with any potential buyers. Before you make a purchase make sure you google "onkyo HDMI issues" and do the research I wish I had done before buying this unit.

I will try to update this review when I get the receiver back.

I really wish the HDMI wasn't an issue because the setup was really awesome for the week that it worked.

Update 3/6/2013: I got the receiver back from the shop over the summer of 2012 (no charge). They replaced the HDMI card and the receiver has been working perfectly since. I really love this system now that it works. Just had some issues in the beginning. Hopefully this will be the last update.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 5 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 11-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 5:38:35 PM PDT
J Cissell says:
It's great to hear my review helped you. The good news is that since I got my receiver back from the repair shop, it's been working great and is an awesome system. Hope your repair is quick and gets the job done.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 12:17:21 PM PST
Mark says:
Did you try a better cable? or were you using a cheap cable? often HDMI issues are caused by poor cable quality. Make sure it's audio return, and ethernet capable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 1:51:43 PM PST
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the note. I tried several different HDMI cables including the top of the line ones you mentioned. None of them worked. I got the receiver fixed under warranty; they replaced the HDMI card and it works perfectly now, with the cheapest HDMI cable I have.

Joe.

Posted on Jan 11, 2013 6:15:48 PM PST
Doug says:
can't buy anything today without problems it seems. Quality control sucks no matter what price you pay.

Posted on Mar 6, 2013 9:34:17 AM PST
Having the same exact problem. It seems this is a pattern failure for these receivers. I found a post on the Onkyo support site about this problem, and the temporary fix seems to be to unplug the receiver, or do a factory reset. I have been unplugging the receiver for the last week to get the picture back. My problem always occurs when first starting the system, never once you've got it running.

The tech support that I received from Onkyo was pathetic. I called their "Tech Support" number listed on their web site. The number actually is not just tech support, but everything. The number was down for at least 3 hours. Once I got through to their automated system, there didn't appear to be a "tech support" option. There was setup help, but if you have a broken receiver, good luck. I was finally able to talk to tech support by submitting a call back request on their web site. I told the agent about my problem, and he said it would have to go to their service center in St Louis. I live in the Kansas City area, so it would have to be shipped *at my cost* so they could fix it. I expressed my concern that since this is an ongoing problem with Onkyo receivers, that they would just be installing more of the same junk and I would have the problem again in a few months, or worse it would wait until it's out of warranty. THE ONKYO TECH SUPPORT AGENT ACTUALLY TOLD ME I WOULD BE BETTER OFF TO RETURN THE UNIT TO THE STORE AND FIND ANOTHER BRAND.

I was very happy to say that the customer service at Nebraska Furniture Mart was much better. Even though he couldn't really do anything for me since I had owned it about 30 days past their return period, he was very nice and courteous, and even tried getting his higher ups to let me take it back without me asking him to do so.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2013 7:30:37 PM PDT
James Zinn says:
I live in KC myself, am a stereo/music/audio/video buff, and a friend of mine is looking to buy this system at Nebraska Furniture Mart, and wanted my opinion on it. After reading reviews it amazes me that if you bought this in the year 2013, I can't believe Onkyo is still having issues with this product; you'd think they'd be resolved by now but likely NFM bought 1000 of them back when they came out and all the inventory is old.

Out of curiosity, did you buy it in the calendar year 2013?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 10, 2013 7:48:06 PM PDT

Posted on Jul 23, 2014 10:12:49 AM PDT
R. Arnold says:
For those of you having this problem, this is actually a fairly easy fix, and not that expensive, if you're willing to take the plunge. This guy comes across a little cheesy, but I followed this video, and fixed my own receiver after having this same problem.
This problem is across a multitude of Onkyo receivers. You'll need to take the hdmi board out and the video shows how to do that. It's not that complicated. You'll need to purchase some capacitors, 100uf 4v, is the smallest. You'll simply remove the old capacitors, and replace them. Reinstall the new capacitors (with soldering iron), and then reinstall HDMI board into the unit.

My HDMI board worked for approximately 1 year before failing, and I did this going on a year ago now, and haven't had any problems. However, it must be understood what the primary problem is. Too much heat!!! Onkyo did not install cooling fans in these units, only cooling fins which aren't capable of dissipating the heat the unit creates, thus the HDMI board problem.
So, to remedy this, you can get "case fans", that are normally used for cooling computers. and you can place that on top of the receiver either blowing cooler air into the receiver or pulling the hot air out of the receiver. I did this by connecting the wires from the case fan (just the red and black), to the wires of an old phone charger cord with a USB connection. Cut off the non usb side, and expose the black and red wires and connect them, and secure the wires however you see fit, heat shrink sleeve, wire connectors, electrical tape, etc. If you have a tv with a usb port, you can plug this into the tv, and when the tv comes on, the fan will automatically come on as well. Has worked great for me.

Posted on Jun 18, 2015 8:50:23 PM PDT
Georgeous says:
HI, I do the following in all situations and why. When I upgrade system due to tech leap I purchase all new gold cables. Why? When tech advances so do the cables. I use MEDIABRIDGE HDMI, ETHERNET, RCA JACKS, ETC. The price, grade, & quality are perfect down to the Gold parts. All cables that are included need replacement out of the box. You're lucky they lasted that long. Mine are useless never been new. I buy new ones when I upgrade. I have an ONKYO . I have seen them since I was child. They have the most connections for tech lovers who have many components. They deliver and last. Don't get crazy. The volume should never be higher than perfect clarity, which is enough. Onkyo are cost friendly if a repair is required which IS RARE. I never needed to with mine. The sound rocks. Thank you.

Posted on Jul 10, 2015 12:13:55 PM PDT
Renee says:
I also had a problem with my HDMI board. I got it replaced but there was such a back order for the part I had to wait 4 months for the system to be repaired. Now, a year and half after getting my board replaced, my HDMI ports have started to go out again. The warranty is now over which means I am in the market for a new receiver. Any suggestions are welcomed!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›