Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Product!!!, November 12, 2008
This review is from: Escort Passport 9500ix Radar/Laser Detector (Blue Display) (Wireless Phone Accessory)
I recently purchased a Passport 9500ix and can honestly say it is by far the best detector I've ever owned. As a previous owner of several other brands including Cobra, Whistler and a V1, this one is light years ahead.

From the moment I mounted it in my car, (which was super easy with their mount) I knew this one was different. I proceeded to mount it on the glass and started driving it without even looking at the owner's manual. As I began to drive, I was alerted to several door openers that my other detectors didn't even see, which to me indicated that it was far more sensitive. On my way back home, along the same route, I was alerted once again to these same door openers. At this point I began to remember why I quit driving with a detector many years ago....false alarms! Now that I had a more sensitive detector, I was wondering if I could stand to hear all of this noise everyday.

The next day I went to work, (close to the same route as picking up my kids) and I was pleasantly surprised when I passed these same spots again. The 9500ix beeped once and displayed the word "stored". Not reading the owner's manual, I had no idea what this meant. When I arrived at work I grabbed the owner's manual and read it at lunch. To my surprise it meant that the 9500ix had locked out these locations, knowing they were false alarms. How cool is that? Now that they were locked out, I couldn't wait to drive by again and see what it would do. On my way home, sure enough no alerts. Only a small indicator in the upper right side of the display rotated, indicating it saw these false alarms but no audio alert was given.

The following day I was in route home from work enjoying my new detector when it began to register a Ka band radar alert. I'm not completely sure what the difference is between all of the radar bands, but I began to take notice and checked my speed. I drove almost a mile wondering if this was a false alarm. Sure enough, as I turned the corner, there was one of our local police officers sitting along the side of the road. I had sniffed out my first alert, and in plenty of time to check my speed.

As someone who has used several other brands and grew accustomed to false alarms, let me assure you this one is different. Better sensitivity without the constant beeping. I'm not sure why it took me so long to try a Passport, but I will say that I will not be driving without one ever again.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 11, 2009 3:40:46 PM PDT
T. Bing says:
These comments are helpful, as I do plan to purchase a radar detector in the near future. I had a escort years back and couldn't stand the false indications.

Posted on Aug 6, 2009 2:45:55 PM PDT
Wordsmither says:
I've had an Escort 8500 for about 5 years and haven't been pulled over since I got it. I do hate the false alarms that I encounter and it has an issue with "service needed" alerts but I can usually just turn it off and back on then it's fine. I just ordered the 9500ix before my old model completely dies and I'm left defenseless. I look forward to the unit storing the sliding doors, etc. and not alerting me at the same place each time.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 25, 2009 8:52:34 AM PST
D. Sanderson says:
In the first year I had my 8500, I also got a lot of "service needed" alerts and, like you, just turned it off and on. But I got them quite frequently. Since I purchased my unit on eBay and Escort wouldn't honor a warranty, I lived with it, and then it just finally quit doing it all by itself. I had one a few months ago, but that's the first I've had in over a year. Weird.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 27, 2012 2:36:38 PM PDT
h4x0r says:
You can send in your detector for service and for $80-$130 your unit will be tuned up, and you can use it for your second car, give it to your wife, etc. The 9500ix is a lot better, but the 8500 is just like the 9500ix, except no GPS. A new 8500 is $250, so ~$100 to tune up your old one isn't bad.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›