5.0 out of 5 stars Blu-Re-Mi!, November 3, 2010
This review is from: The Sound of Music (Three-Disc 45th Anniversary Blu-ray/DVD Combo in Blu-ray Packaging) (Blu-ray)
After years and years and years of watching The Sound of Music on VHS and DVD, I thought I knew every blade of grass and every gust of wind visible in the movie. How wrong I was! You don't realize how much picture is lost with standard 480p releases until a monumental blu ray transfer like this comes along and provides a home viewing experience that literally feels like seeing the movie for the first time.

As far as I'm concerned, this is the best blu ray I own - and not just because The Sound of Music is probably the greatest movie ever made, but because the picture quality is truly that beautiful. And that makes sense, considering the movie was filmed in 70mm and could contain so much more data than ordinary 35mm. Also, from what I understand, the restoration process was taken extremely seriously and done with the highest technology possible. There's a reason why so many artists are pushing blu ray, and it's because for the first time people can experience their creativity and attention to detail, as it was meant to be seen. There is SO much detail in this movie. Seriously, if you loved this movie before you will have your mouth dropped open the entire time you sit through it in high definition.

And the Audio quality! I didn't even know it was possible to make ancient audio files sound brand new, but it clearly is. Every song sounds 1000000x better than my old CD soundtracks. Add in surround sound... heavenly.

OVERALL: I don't care how many VHS or DVD copies you have of this movie sitting around, you NEED this blu ray. It's not just a restoration, it's a transformation. You cannot have truly experienced The Sound of Music at home until seeing it in 1080p. Not to mention it's cram packed with amazing extras that are actually watchable. In case you can't tell, this BD just makes me so happy. If you appreciate the movie (or bless you, never seen it before) you MUST experience it on BD!

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 4, 2010 8:53:50 AM PDT
poseidonboy says:
I agree Tate...by far the best this movie has ever looked...and I too have owned every incarnation of this on home video..haha....but this one just takes the cake...it's like seeing it for the first time!

Posted on Nov 4, 2010 3:04:01 PM PDT
Robert Stone says:
Nice review and I love the title of your review - very clever.

Posted on Nov 10, 2010 3:37:57 PM PST
Bryan Jensen says:
Nice review. The sound restoration props go to Mi Casa Multimedia in Hollywood. When I was working on a project with them they let me hear the stems for Julie Andrews's vocals and she was amazing alone -- and what a treat to hear her as most the world hasn't heard those vocals raw -- but still magnificent in 7.1 with some sweetening and mixing from Mi Casa's small team.

Posted on Nov 14, 2010 2:35:53 PM PST
It is like seeing the film again for the first time. I have to admit this 47 year old man found himself tearing up a bit several times while I was watching it which is something I never did with the previous DVD releases.

Posted on Dec 31, 2010 4:15:15 PM PST
Thanks for the review. I just bought it and can't wait to see it! I have a Pansonic projector and a nice 92" screen. It's a nice set-up, but really shows the flaws of the 2005 DVD transfer - this should be amazing!

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 3:28:16 PM PDT

Posted on Jun 26, 2011 7:12:30 PM PDT
Avallach says:
I bought the Blu-ray based on this review alone. Thanks.

Posted on Aug 16, 2011 11:27:47 PM PDT
You should be in sales if you aren't already. Great review

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 8:04:12 AM PST
Excellent review -- informed, informative, a joy to read -- and deservedly, top-of-the-"SPOTLIGHT." And since it's being offered "today only" this "Cyber Monday" for 16.95 . . . who could ask for anything more?

Particularly appreciated your noting that every song sounds a million times "better than my old CD soundtracks. Add in surround-sound . . . heavenly" [and that] "I don't care how many VHS or DVD copies you have of this movie . . . you NEED this blu ray. It's not just a restoration, it's a transformation [and] cram packed with amazing extras that are actually watchable." [!]

Tried to round up your "helpful" votes to 120 -- hope mine 'takes.' Alas, this very "comment" makes me your "fan" (I suppose that I AM!) and under Amazon's "New Reviewer" rankings/voting system, fan votes don't count. Go figure. Glad to see you remain "Top 300s" ranked among the nearly nine million of us ordinary souls pouring our hearts out at the 'world's biggest website.' On the strength of barely 300 reviews, that is amazing. Keep writing, "Tate."

Mark B of the frozen North

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 10:36:15 AM PST
Andrea says:
I've been searching for an inexpensive copy of the Sound of Music on Amazon because I absolutely love the movie and the music. But I'm cheap and had no intention of purchasing if I couldn't find a DVD for under $10. Your review has convinced me otherwise. You should be in marketing, indeed!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›