Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
1.0 out of 5 stars Does not work as promised..., September 12, 2011
This review is from: NETGEAR N300 Wall Plug Version Wi-Fi Range Extender (WN3000RP) (Personal Computers)
I'm a highly advanced user; my home network is entirely Linux based or embedded systems, I've been the CIO of a major corporation, and I understand the ins and outs of software development and networking. My setup at home requires I extend the range of my wifi network to cover my house. It's too large for one router to reach, so I picked up this unit for its small size and supposed ease of use.

Getting the unit initially up and running was fine - it was a no-brainer to add it to my existing WiFi network, provided by a DLink (DIR-655) router. So far, so good - setup really _is_ easy. I then moved the unit to a suitable location where there's adequate signal from the router and also where it can adequately cover the expanded space.

Unfortunately, the easy setup was the only positive feature of this unit.

The primary issue is that the WN3000RP locks up all the time and fails to route packets. After running for anywhere from 8 hours to a couple of days, it fails to maintain connectivity between the primary wireless network ("A") and its extended network ("B"). I can associate to the network "B" with a device, but it will not pass any traffic off to A. It's like the device has a memory leak or crash in the routing app internally that causes it to lock up and stop passing packets back and forth. It seems relatively traffic dependent - streaming videos through the device will induce it sooner than just background network traffic (mDNS advertisements, SAMBA notifications, pings, etc).

The only fix is to unplug the WN3000RP and plug it back in, which gets it working for another couple of hours or days. Obviously, this is unacceptable... If, at the same time, I connect another device to my primary network, "A", that device has zero connectivity problems. That network's been up and stable for months at a time!

The other issue I have with this box is that it also does the stupidest thing I've ever seen - modify the MAC address of devices passing through the unit onto my primary network! Who thought that was a good idea? Not only does this produce MAC addresses that don't conform to the proper vendor ID range selection (since the first portion of the MAC address should identify the vendor of the network hardware), it makes it virtually impossible for me to provided reserved IP allocations properly for devices in my house that roam between the two networks, A and B.

If you have _any_ kind of sophistication with networking or computers, or if you are just a guy who likes to stream content (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime movies, etc), stay away until they fix the firmware in this device. NETGEAR clearly rushed this to market with no quality assurance testing and a ton of poor engineering choices along the way.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Sep 15, 2011 10:20:58 AM PDT
Hi Swede-o-phile,

We'd like to help with the problems you mention. Your detailed input would be very helpful for our technicians to track down and eliminate any potential issues like the ones you describe. Please feel free to email us at amazon@netgear.com if you wish, but we'll be passing this post on to our technicians as it stands as well.

Regards,

NETGEAR Team

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 9 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 60 posts in this discussion
A comment by the manufacturer   (What's this?)
Initial post: Sep 15, 2011 10:20:58 AM PDT
NETGEAR Team says:
(MANUFACTURER)
Hi Swede-o-phile,

Regards,

NETGEAR Team

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 5:31:04 AM PDT
Paul Young says:
This seems a common issue. I am dying to have this connectivity problem resolved. Any updates so far?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 7:29:57 AM PDT
Evan X says:
Same here! Last try before I throw it away!

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 3:34:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2012 3:36:00 AM PDT
I so agree. I bought this and another Netgear range extender device with the same web interface on it and I am totally unsatisfied -- both fail to work, and have caused me way more headache than the small portion of time they work. I am also a software developer, definitely qualified to know when something (2 distinct versions of the same line) are... not worth the plastic they are contained in -- these qualify. If/when I get around to trying to solve my wifi range issue in the future, I think I'll opt for openwrt.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 2:24:15 PM PDT
Boston buyer says:
Any luck with this? I thought this product was great. Now it does not work for me.

Posted on Aug 26, 2012 5:32:02 PM PDT
i have the same issue w a refurbished issue I just purchased 8/12. Unit works fine until you try a stream, then locks and fails to route packets. Pressing the reset button on the WN3000RP will generally get it working again, but that's hardly a convenience.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 8:19:18 AM PDT
For anybody else reading this and trying to assess the product, I have had the exact same issue. The extender works for awhile then just stops passing traffic. Most times, a reboot doesn't work for me and I have to repeat the setup process to get it going.

I would not recommend this product.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 10:47:12 AM PDT
S. Logan says:
Wow - Netgear responds to original comment in 3 days and then ignores a year's worth of other comments with the same issue. I was just about to add this to my cart to buy two of them for our house - now I'm certainly glad I did not. Will look for a similar product from another manufacturer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 12:23:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 12:25:42 PM PDT
SJM says:
I have a question for the Netgear Team:
It has been over a year since your post to Swedeo-o-phile and the problem apparently has not yet been addressed, as evidenced by ongoing buyer complaints. When do you suppose your engineers will succeed in applying a fix; and, do you have any job openings for competent engineers or is this really a Netgear Team management problem? ;o)

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 10:35:52 PM PST
Why don't you just ask " Don't you know who I am?" Kinda self-absorbed if you ask me. If you were such a high roller in a company, you may have learned how to project knowledge and know-how without telling the world how great you are. Just sayin.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›