3.0 out of 5 stars It works... but not for purist, November 10, 2008
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Retro-Bit Retro Duo Twin Video Game System NES and SNES - Black/Red (Video Game)
I bought this more for the nes side hoping that it would work better than my side loading nes that is broken. First I am impressed by the concept and the top loading design. First game I threw at it was lifeforce for nes and it worked right away without blowing on it or reseting it. After playing for awhile I noticed that a lot of the sound effects were off. A lot of them were higher pitched and the music seemed to labor at times and even miss whole notes completly. The game itself seemed to work fine but I just couldnt get over the sound difference. Needless to say I returned it and I got a nes2 toploader off ebay for a little more. Still a good product but not for those who want a true nes replacement, there is no substitute. Great Idea but not quite there.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 15, 2009 10:19:45 PM PDT
Thank you for the review. Think I'll buy one! Your helpful explanation is great. (better informed than regretful)

Posted on Apr 18, 2012 12:26:26 PM PDT
If you still have your nes try getting a new 72 pin connector. Chances are thats the issue. They work great and you dont have to blow in it. Or you could sell it to me lol just saying...

Posted on May 7, 2012 6:07:33 PM PDT
Khedoros says:
My NES didn't work when I purchased it; I cleaned the connector and re-bent the pins to make better contact, and I've got the system working! It really isn't that hard to fix, and I'd recommend giving it a try.

Posted on Jan 2, 2013 3:34:14 AM PST
Steven F says:
sounds like you didnt have the RCA cables plugged in all the way

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 6:50:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 6:56:48 AM PDT
M. Warwick says:
I'm with him. Nothing can perfectly replicate a original nes or snes hardware. Some may try, some may even work, some even very well. But believe me when I say it's just not the same authentic original experience. Whether it be off sound, colors, freezing, or input lag or input delay, it just is not the same 100%. Although it may be close enough for the average gamer, as the original review said, not for purists. (People who want the exact same 100% legitimate original experience.) Some emulation on high end computers can get dang close, much closer than these cheap third party hardware peripherals, and even high end emulation can rarely reach above 90% perfect accuracy for most games let alone all. There is truly no substitute, and boy have I tried. For speculation purposes, the processor in an original snes is around 1 mhz. The reknowned most accurate snes emulator, bsnes, takes 3 GIGAHERTZ, and it STILL is not 100% accurate. That is thousands upon thousands of times stronger. Nothing beats the original snes and controller hooked up to a high quality Standard Definition (480i) Cathode Ray Tube TV, Nothing. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2013 4:29:49 PM PDT
M. Warwick, this is CC, can you help me with connecting the game to my tv

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 15, 2013 4:30:25 PM PDT
can you help with connection

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2014 11:43:43 AM PDT
Cycle perfect emulators not only match the experience they improve it since they can be played on modern TV's/Monitors and not look like hell. If you can't get an emulator to match the original it's typically user error within the settings as i assure you Side by side i doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference. I sold all my old retro stuff to a collector and i don't regret it for a moment any "Purist" who wanted to pay me thousands for hardware that sat there when i was MORE than happy with good emulation so be it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2014 12:18:12 PM PDT
C. Bryan says:
I appreciate your thoughts and it appears your purism (if that is actually a word) has a pricetag. I hooked this up to a CRT tube tv with the matching hertz that the original console would have required. When I hooked up my Original Nes right after the clone there was a difference in the sound pitches albeit very small but still noticeable. That is why I said what I said in my first review. It does work very well but does have small differences. Had I purchased this without the intention of bringing back the nostalgia that I had as a child which involved humming the soundtracks to games that I liked, I probably would have kept it. It is 95% of the original but unlike you I am willing to pay a premium for that 5% difference. To each his own I guess, that is the beauty of America.

Posted on Oct 2, 2014 11:07:09 PM PDT
RC says:
Maybe Nintendo owns the sound samples, so people aren't allowed to copy them, so they use their own substitutes that sound slightly off.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›

Review Details

Item

4.0 out of 5 stars (558 customer reviews)

Used & New from: $48.07