Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

3.0 out of 5 stars Big bottle, small compartment, February 29, 2012
This review is from: Contigo AUTOSEAL Kangaroo Water Bottle with Storage Compartment, 24-Ounce, Blue (Kitchen)
I was very excited when I saw this bottle initially. It seemed to be everything I needed for my Zumba class...a water bottle, key holder, money holder and driver's license holder all wrapped into one. No more keys on the floor hiding under my hoody, no more wallet under the car seat, and no more money in my pocket. But I was surprised at how big and heavy this bottle actually is, especially the lid, which weighs more than the bottle. It's made of heavy-duty plastic and contains the no-leak mechanism, so it's quite top-heavy. The bottle is also very tall. It holds 24 oz. but the big lid adds the equivalent of another 8 oz. in size. The leak-proof mechanism requires you to press with your fingers while you drink. I think it would be more natural to press with your thumb. When the water level is down to 8 oz., it's actually kind of hard to drink it because you have to press with your fingers and tip the bottle way up to get the water to your mouth, making it have a tendency to dribble down your chin if you don't time it right. The compartment holds money and a driver's license but is too small to hold my car key because, like most car keys, it has a molded plastic piece, which doesn't fit inside. I will keep using the bottle for awhile and see if I get used to it, but I have to say it doesn't meet my expectations.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in
  [Cancel]

Comments

Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 30, 2012 11:05:26 AM PDT
jmstargirl says:
Thank you for the thorough review. You addressed the questions that I had about this item (will a car key fit? how do you drink out of it?) and you added info that I didn't even think about (it's top-heavy) which is very helpful for my decision-making process. I thought this looked like a great idea but I can see that it won't work for me. Thank you.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 5:01:24 PM PST
Jaw says:
thanks--i am looking for a bottle that is easy to drink from. I would not like to have to squeeze. If i t's hard plastic, how do you squeeze it anyway? I'm just learning about these bottles because i only recently learned about BPA (on the news). I've been drinking from Arrowhead 24oz bottles for years and years, although their website says their personal sized bottles are all GPA free--but i would like to save the money too and just drink my filtered water. I've bought 3 bottles so far and the first two don't really meet my needs because one of them, you have to suck on it to get the water out, it doesn't flow, and the other one has the water coming out in an odd irregular way so that i have to concentrate to avoid dribbling. I just got the third one today and the water flows out well but i wanted to try a couple more, for other reasons. Thanks again

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 7:59:40 AM PST
sunnysideaz says:
Thank you for this input! Good informartion. I would have purchased one and been disappointed as well!

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 11:05:27 PM PST
N.Mo. says:
Thanks so much for this excellent review. I was ready to purchase, but I don't think I'm coordinated enough to push and time my drinking. And my car key has the plastic top. Whose doesn't?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2013 6:46:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 26, 2013 6:48:12 PM PDT
You don't squeeze the bottle...there's a button, on the lid, that you have to press with your fingers. As for timing? Call me weird, but I put the thing up to my face before pressing the button, thereby eliminating the need for "timing".

Lastly, as for the compartment size, I've carried ID money, LIP BALM and my car key...for a Volkswagen (who are apparently compensating for something by making their keys ridiculously large). No problems. If the key size is your only reason to not consider this product (it really is pretty handy), you may consider purchasing an extra key without all the plastic cladding.

Posted on Jul 29, 2013 8:24:01 PM PDT
Colossus says:
I read this review before purchasing this product and was skeptical about buying this water bottle. I took a chance and purchased this water bottle and am REALLY glad I did. The objections noted in this original review are akin to someone buying a cadillac and then not liking it because it doesn't function like a sports car. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the water bottle nor with the reviewers comments, just that the expectation was for a lighter, sleeker model and the product specs clearly show this is a high end water bottle.

This water bottle was purposefully designed to meet several needs and be a heavy duty, spill proof bottle. There are tons of lighter, thinner water bottles on the market with those nipple tops for easy squeeze...this water bottle isn't one of them...it's the opposite. This bottle is heaver than a cheap plastic one because it designed to be more durable. The lid is also heavier than a cheap plastic bottle because it has (1) the autoseal design to prevent spillage (2) a hinged carrying handle with a clip to attach to bags, (3) a flip to cover for the spout where water comes out to protect against dirt/germs and (4) it's wider to accommodate a wide mouth bottle that will fit ice cubes. Is it the equivalent of another 8oz...I don't know...does it matter to me...no. It's a multi-functioning top and not a simple cheap flip top or pop top nipple bottle top.

I walk to and from the gym and simultaneously walk, press the button and lift the water bottle to my mouth and have never had an issue with spilling or dribbling....including the last 8oz of water. Am I an overachiever...maybe. The button is not hard to depress at all and its designed to be pressed by your first two fingers...it's a very natural method as that's the way you're gonna grip it anyway. I've had other Contigo bottles with the button under the thumb and it really makes no difference to me.

Unless you have a key chain with 10 or more keys, danglers, rewards cards and charms this compartment is deep enough to hold a key. When I go to the gym I have my key and id card on a key chain with a small flashlight and it fits perfect with room for more and the clip inside to hold bills/cards. I've even put my regular key chain in there with my car key, house key, office key, laptop key and id card attached on a key ring and it all fits with no issue. You would need to have an absurdly large or incredibly thick car key for it not to fit in the compartment. This compartment isn't meant to be a second purse or wallet....it's designed to hold essentials, what you need to get to and from the gym or how/wherever you exercise. Everyone has (should have) a spare car and house key...put them on a key ring and use them and keep your every day keys stored safely elsewhere when it's gym time.

If you're looking for a lighter, sleeker water bottle try the basic Contigo autoseal 24oz water bottle (http://www.amazon.com/Contigo-AUTOSEAL-Water-Bottle-Ounces/dp/B003KZKE1C/ref=pd_sim_k_6). I bought it previously and it's great. There's no storage compartment but you can attach your key ring to the clip on the lid to keep them together and you will still have to use your fingers to press the button on the autoseal feature as opposed to your thumb but it is the sports car whereas this water bottle is clearly designed to be the cadillac.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 8, 2013 3:43:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 8, 2013 3:45:04 PM PDT
DF says:
Completely agree with Colossus. This is a great bottle for the gym for exactly the reasons the previous reviewer disliked it. The press-to-drink feature prevents spills, and it means I'm not twisting a cap or pulling a spout with the same hands that have been handling filthy gym equipment and floors. The compartment is perfect for a few ID/credit cards and some cash, and it fits even our fat Honda key.

My favorite part is that if I place my gym ID in the compartment correctly, I can flip open the door and flash the ID at the front-desk scanner at our local gym without having to even take the ID out of the bottom. I can't count the number of times someone at the gym has commented on the bottle and asked where they could get one.

The bottle also fits in my bike's water-bottle cage, so while it's a bit heavy, it's convenient for short rides when I don't need more than a few cards and some cash.

P.S. The bottle fits Contigo's other large bottle tops, as well, so if you prefer the one with the large loop/latch, you can use that one with this bottle.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2013 1:11:59 PM PDT
I have a few different "autoseal" bottles from Contigo. When the reviewer says you have to squeeze, they mean you need to push a button (which you do with a little squeeze) the button opens a small opening for water to come out...no sucking involved.

I just noticed that your comment is almost a year old at this point, but I'm still leaving this one to clarify for anyone else who may have the same questions.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2014 12:24:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2014 12:28:13 PM PDT
For the record, my car key will not fit in the compartment. That's just the key by itself, off of the ring, no other keys, danglers, reward cards, or charms. I tried the key to my husband's Jeep as well, it's about the same thickness as my key but slightly shorter, and it would not fit either. The compartment is great for an ID, some cash, and a house and/or motorcycle key; but not all car keys will fit.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2014 5:08:39 PM PDT
my jeep key fits just fine.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›