5.0 out of 5 stars Battery Backup for Mobile Devices including iphone and ipad, August 31, 2010
This review is from: External Battery, New Trent iCarrier 12000mAh Portable Dual USB Port External Battery Charger/Power Pack for Smartphones, iPhone 6, Iphone 6 Plus, S5, Nexus 6, Note 4, Tablets, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 3, and more (Now w/Micro-USB charge port) (Electronics)
I just received my IMP1000 from New Trent earlier this week. I was looking for a reliable way to easily charge my iphone and ipad when traveling, especially on long flights. This seems to be the device to bring along. I recently flew overseas with their IMP880 and it performed wonderfully. I was looking for a bit greater capacity though, because I use both an iphone (was the 3g, now the 4) and the ipad, and wanted to be able to charge both of them when I don't have access to an electrical outlet.

The unit's size is great for traveling. It's about the same size and weight of a portable hard drive, which these days means it's small and will easily slip into a briefcase, overnight bag, purse, etc. The retractable cord makes it easy to hook up with the mobile device without any strain on the connections.
The unit's indicator light is simple to see and determine the amount of charge remaining. While charging the unit itself those lights let you know the progress. And after charging a mobile device, the unit slows down to a trickle charge.

The placement of the button is an improvement over New Trents IMP880, which I also own. That button could accidentally be turned on because it actually protrudes a bit from the case, and sits at an angle. The IMP1000's is flush with the case's edge, and the button itself a bit recessed which should prevent that from happening.

I haven't drained the power from a full charge yet, so not sure how long it lasts, but after topping off my iphone and ipad a few times, it still shows a full charge. Of course you can use the device while it's charging.

The IMP1000 comes with iphone/ipad adapter, along with a few others (mini usb, etc).

Good design, seems well built, and I know from past experience with New Trent's customer support that they are very responsive. Recommend you give it a try if you need a back up battery.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 3 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 19, 2011 1:31:19 PM PDT
Ingrid G. says:
I just received mine a few days ago and have now had to charge it two times in three days. It goes from high to medium charge very quickly when using the Ipad 2. It takes a long time to charge to 100% while using the Ipad 2 also. It doesn't seem like te battery is going to last as long as I hoped. Have been charging my Ipad with it since 12:40 pm while using it, from a 69% charge and it is only at 96% charged and it is now 4:30pm.

Just isn't as powerful as what I wanted. Won't extend the life that much.

Posted on Nov 17, 2011 3:38:30 PM PST
Are you sure it comes with an iDevice adapter? Mine didn't look like it did - just micro and mini USB to put on to the retractable cable. Not a huge issue, since the battery uses a USB adapter anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2011 3:50:18 PM PST
The iPad 1 and 2 require a higher power draw than a phone. The iPhone uses a 1W charger. The iPad, a 10W charger. Trent doesn't publish what amperage the battery pack can supply, but I'd be surprised if it was 10W. Moreover, you have been using the iPad while charging, meaning you're using the Wifi/3G modem, possibly, the backlight is on, and you're spinning the CPU and if gaming, you're also spinning the GPU. So the iPad is drawing power directly from the IMP1000 while charging (meaning all the power is NOT going to charging, so it'll be slower.)

The point here is that the iPad draws more power. What you're seeing here does not seem unreasonable. Realize, the iPad 2 has inside it 3 2500mAh batteries (~7500mAh capacity total.) so a single charge of the iPad 2 from 0 to 100 from the IMP1000 will nearly drain the IMP1000.

The win here is more specifically that your iPad remained powered AND charged. To me, that seems like the IMP1000 works.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2013 2:54:45 AM PST
I have an iPad 3, (HD). None of these chargers, at least so far, will give you a full iPad 3 or iPad 4 charge.
My iPad was depleted to 2%, these 12000 chargers will take it to an 80% (approx.) charge.. NEVER multiple charges for the HD iPads!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 12:23:16 AM PST
Not to be belligerent, but I think you're wrong here - was your ipad powered when you charged it? These batteries have a rating of 60 Watt hours; the recent ipads have a 42.5 watt hour battery in them. A simple explanation - as I pointed out already - is that if the ipad is powered on in any way, not all power goes completely to the ipad's battery; if the ipad is on and syncing mail in the background or being actively used, some of the power coming from the Trent battery goes to powering the ipad CPU.

Try turning off the ipad itself when charging from the trent battery (meaning power it down, not just turn the screen off) and see what you get. I only own an ipad 2, but this battery pack easily charges my ipad2 to 100% and has power to spare.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 5:03:44 AM PST
Not to be belligerent--but did you know that..the HD iPads use oa LOT more power than the the iPads before them?
I am happy that this charger powers up your IPad 2, fully. It doesn't power up the HD iPads to a 100% charge. Whether, the owner powers the unit off or not. Buy a HD iPad, test it, then tell me that I am wrong!

BTW, I work on Apple computer and am quite aware of what I speak.
I have tested this before I wrote my review..to, let other owners of the HD iPads that they will not get a 100% charge. My iPad was at a 2% charge on the first test. It charged it to 80%. The second test was at o% charge (with the unit powered off at BOTH times), I got a 78% charge. The charge time took 6-7 hours.
If others that actually OWN the HD iPad have different results than myself, please post your results! I would be interested to hear your results! It is possible that I have a defective unit!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 2:47:39 PM PST
If you read the 'Product Description', it states that the Trent Battery pack.. powers the 'iPad 3'..only 80%, that was my finding ..Exactly!!
BTW, I forgot to mention in my earlier response to you, that you can power the iPad off before charging but as soon as you plug in the battery charger the iPad comes on..

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 9:01:39 PM PST
Debbie Greer says:
Can someone please tell me if I need just an adapter in Europe to charge this or do I need a converter also? I am runnng out of USB ports. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2013 12:04:21 AM PDT
esanta says:
Patricia is right, the iPad 3 is a total power hog -- although turning brightness down does help some. At full brightness and starting with a 100% charge, this extender will let you maintain the full charge for about 4 hours of video streaming. In airplane mode and with the brightness turned down halfway, you may get an extra hour or two. By the way, the iPad 3 battery has an 11.67Ah rating, which is about the same as the capacity of the New Trent. Considering you lose a good 20% during power transfer, no way you'll get a full charge on iPad 3 or 4 -- more like 80%, as she found out and as New Trent states.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›