Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Grocery Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice "walk around" camera., March 24, 2014
This review is from: Fujifilm FinePix S1 16 MP Digital Camera with 3.0-Inch LCD (Black) (Electronics)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Let me begin by saying that I have been a professional photographer for about 45 years, and I teach digital photography/Photoshop at the college level. I have several cameras, ranging from very compact point and shoot models to larger DSLR cameras. This Fuji camera is what I call a bridge model, or sometimes a prosumer camera. It is more compact than a DSLR, and does not have a removable lens, but it has the features and controls you would expect to find on the larger (and more expensive) cameras.
I will discuss features first, and then the performance. From my point of view, it has the aperture priority, shutter priority, and program modes which comprise most of my shooting. An interesting addition is the SRAUTO mode (scene recognition). Here the camera examines the field and picks an appropriate scene mode. It even adjusts for a moving subject. The camera also has the standard AUTO setting, which I typically avoid. (The textbook for my photography classes is titled Beyond Auto Mode.)
If you choose ADV (advanced) on the mode dial, you can then choose from several interesting modes, including HDR, low light, filters, and something called zoom bracketing, where the camera will take three exposures at three different zoom levels. The mode dial also has an SP (scene position) setting, which selects one of the built in scene modes. You pick which one and assign it to this position. The PANORAMA setting on the dial lets you move the camera in a complete circle and then stitches the result into a panorama, which must be at least 120 degrees of the circle, or 1/3 of the way around. There are also Manual and Custom settings on the dial.
The other controls on the top of the camera are the on/off, +/- exposure, and a button to select high speed shooting modes. The camera is able to shoot 10 frames a second. I do a lot of nature photography, and the multiple frames per second is really a help when capturing fast moving subjects. On the back are controls for flash, macro, timer, an assignable function, menu, viewing of photos, and wifi, to talk to their camera app, which I haven’t done.
The camera is 16 MP, and with a 16Gig card it will store about 2,000 photos before the card is full. The battery charges internally only with the supplied charger, so you can’t charge one battery while using another. The charger is interchangeable with my Kindle and Galaxy S3 chargers, though, and has an interchangeable plug. I assume adapters are available to use overseas.
So far I have been impressed with the photo quality. It has a superzoom lens which goes from a 35mm equivalent of 24mm to 1200mm, or wide angle to 24 power. It will focus at 1 cm for macro work. The image stabilization gives 3 stops improvement, so hand holding it at max zoom was no problem, and I got no blur from camera shake. Keep in mind that I’m a pro, and your results may vary.
Both the screen and eye level viewfinder are about 1 megapixel in resolution, which is good, and both are clear. There is plenty of info available to display on screen, including a histogram, which I use. The photos were clear at all zoom settings, and the macros were sharp as well. At wide angle, there is some barrel distortion, which is pretty much true of all wide angle lenses, and is easily corrected in Photoshop. The HDR and low light modes worked well. Generally speaking, I was impressed with the image quality.
The body is plastic, but seems solid, and is sealed well enough that they list the camera as weather resistant against dust and moisture. The fit and finish seems good.
Overall, I really like this camera. It won’t replace my DSLR for weddings, but as a “walk around” camera it is about perfect. I think this will be my choice when I am out doing the tourist thing at the zoo or beach (it has a beach mode). Good feel. Good feature set. Easy to carry. Sometimes I don’t want to be a pro, with two bodies and four lenses. This will be the one I grab on those days.

[Add comment]
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)

Is this your product?

Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

System timed out

Prompts for sign-in

Comments

Tracked by 4 customers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 26, 2014 5:08:33 AM PDT
I William,
I see that someone has given you two uncalled for negative votes. I am so sorry this is happening to you also.

Kim

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2014 6:17:09 AM PDT
Thanks for the post. There are negative people wherever you go. Don't let them bother you.

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 6:23:06 AM PDT
What book are you using in college for your digital photography class?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 26, 2014 7:03:41 AM PDT
"Beyond Auto Mode" available right here on Amazon.

Posted on Mar 26, 2014 7:59:35 AM PDT
Ok. Just asking because I wrote a book:
Photography Tutorial and Workbook

The book you are using seems to be pretty good. The book that I wrote has a Kindle book but the kindle book is really designed to be a free book for those who purchase the physical book - it was never intended to be a stand alone electronic book....

Cheers,
Kim

Posted on Jan 17, 2015 6:39:27 PM PST
Smurf says:

Posted on Jan 27, 2015 3:06:23 PM PST
BriarCraft says:
I was sold on this camera until I saw that you can't swap out batteries. I am not a pro and only have one camera at a time. Right now, I am considering an upgrade to my Fuji HS20-EXR, but this won't be it because of the battery situation. Your review is the only thing I have read that pointed out this, in my view, deficiency. Thank you for writing such a detailed and informative review.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2015 8:26:22 PM PST
Ooops, my bad. I didn't make myself clear. The battery is removable but no external charger is supplied. When I wrote the review none was available, but that is no longer the case. Here you go, and sorry for the confusion. Pack Of 2 NP-85 Batteries And Charger Kit For FujiFilm FinePix S1 SL240 SL260 SL280 SL300 SL305 SL1000 Digital... It's $20. Just search Amazon for the Fujifilm Finepix s1 battery and charger.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2015 11:55:38 PM PST
BriarCraft says:
That is good to know, because I have been known to shoot 400+ photos in a day on some of my photo treks. Back it goes to the top of my list again.

Posted on Jan 31, 2015 11:14:22 AM PST
How do I determine if the Fuji S1 that is advertised on Amazon, etc., has the updated sensor?
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›